PDA

View Full Version : Oscillating Belt Sander Belt Question

ChrisA Edwards
08-22-2020, 4:00 PM
I have a Jet 80 Oscillating Bend Sander.

It has a 6" x 89" belt on it. The lower 2" of the belt is pretty much what has been used 99% of the time and it now pretty much worn out.

Now it does have rotation direction arrows the back of the belt, but while I wait for a replacement belt to arrive, I'm tempted to put the belt on backwards so I can use some of that unused area.

I figure the worst that can happen is the belt will start to tear at the seam, and it's not like it has a lot of mass or spins very quickly.

Figure I'd ask the experts before trying this.

Scott T Smith
08-22-2020, 4:31 PM
The reason that belts are directional is because of the lap at the seam. If you run them backwards they will tear apart.

Doesn't your table have an adjustment that will allow you to move it higher to use the rest of the belt?

If not can you plane a board and attach it to the table as a means to move the workpiece higher on the belt?

John Lanciani
08-22-2020, 5:02 PM
I have the same sander and I flip my belts over all the time. The arrows are only important on belts with lapped seams as Scott mentioned, but most better belts use butted and taped seams now. Give it a try, you don’t have anything to lose.