PDA

View Full Version : Reeves Drives - what maintenance is required?

Frederick Skelly
08-21-2020, 5:31 PM
Hi guys,

Can someone please describe to me what maintenance I should be doing, beyond blowing out dust and replacing belts? I get the impression that if poorly maintained, these things fail but I haven't a clue what needs to be done.

[I was reading the thread on JET 1236 and saw references to needing to maintain the Reeves Drive. I didnt want to hijack that thread so started a new one. I have the HF clone of the JET, the HF34706. I searched the archives but didn't find a thread on maintaining the Reeves. The JET manual says nothing about maintenance and there is no HF manual online.]

Thank you!
Fred

Curt Harms
08-22-2020, 8:20 AM
I have an old Delta lathe with Reeves drive. I haven't run it in years except every few months I plug it in and cycle the drive from low to high and back a couple times. I imagine a couple drops of oil on the sliding pulley shaft wouldn't hurt. The biggest complaint I've heard about Reeves drives (not model specific) is that the sheaves can be made of pretty soft metal and prone to premature wear.

Frederick Skelly
08-22-2020, 9:03 AM
Thanks Curt!

Bruce Page
08-22-2020, 1:12 PM
My metal working lathe & mill have Reeves drives. I keep the pully shaft on the lathe well lubed.
The mill has an oil cup that feeds various internals including the Reeves. I had to replace the Reeves once because of a plugged up drip tube. $1100 IIRC

Richard Coers
08-22-2020, 2:11 PM
Google is a wonderful thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxU8ItTDUE

Timothy Thorpe Allen
08-22-2020, 2:21 PM
I recently learned that Subaru cars come with a Continuously Variable Speed transmission that is --- a Reeve's Drive!

Frederick Skelly
08-22-2020, 2:53 PM
Thank you everyone!
Richard, ya got me. I searched the archives here but never thought to just do a general google like you did. (slaps palm into forehead). Thank you.

Fred

Curt Harms
08-23-2020, 9:27 AM
My metal working lathe & mill have Reeves drives. I keep the pully shaft on the lathe well lubed.
The mill has an oil cup that feeds various internals including the Reeves. I had to replace the Reeves once because of a plugged up drip tube. $1100 IIRC

At least you could get one. I'm sure that if the Reeves drive on my Delta lathe goes the lathe goes too - to the salvage yard or for parts unless it becomes a tinker project for a VFD retrofit.

Richard Coers
08-23-2020, 5:44 PM
I recently learned that Subaru cars come with a Continuously Variable Speed transmission that is --- a Reeve's Drive!

We wanted a new Honda, but ended up with a Mazda because of the CVT in the Honda and conventional automatic in the Mazda. I call them slush boxes because of the driver feel. Honda plays a game with the computer so it sounds like it is shifting, but it's just an engine rpm thing, nothing to do with shifting. In a couple years every car and SUV will have a CVT. The Nissan CVT has zero maintenance available. Not even a drain plug to change fluid. You have any Nissan CVT trouble and they pull the old one and plug in a new one. There is nothing wrong with a quality industrial Reeves drive. The issue with these lathes is the price point and cheap materials used in the pulleys!

Timothy Thorpe Allen
08-24-2020, 4:58 AM
Well, I still drive a manual transmission car -- I guess that would be most equivalent to a lathe that required shifting the belt on stacked pulleys....

Bruce Jones
08-24-2020, 9:41 AM
I have the HF Central machine 33" lathe and the only thing I've done to it in 5 years was lube the shaft inside; I'm still running on the same original belt it came with. I think the biggest thing you have to know about these lathe w/ the Reves drive is to change speeds slow and realize there not power houses and make your cuts accordingly. I have done some very large projects on mine w/ out any issues.
Good luck Fred

Bruce

Robert D Evans
08-24-2020, 11:36 AM
Finding replacement parts for discontinued lathes with Reeves drives can be a challenge. If all else fails, it'll make a heck of a sawhorse.

Frederick Skelly
08-24-2020, 8:18 PM
I have the HF Central machine 33" lathe and the only thing I've done to it in 5 years was lube the shaft inside; I'm still running on the same original belt it came with. I think the biggest thing you have to know about these lathe w/ the Reves drive is to change speeds slow and realize there not power houses and make your cuts accordingly. I have done some very large projects on mine w/ out any issues.
Good luck Fred

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!