PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning / restoring old wood?

Michael J Evans
08-21-2020, 2:27 AM
I bought a couple of tool chest and have a few old wood planes along with saw handles I'd like to clean up. I don't want to sand and remove the patina,more like remove grime and restore sheen. I've tried the Paul sellers (I think) method of BLO and a Brillo pad, which worked well, but TBH I'm a little scared of using it, because of everything I've read about fire. The times I've used it, I've rinsed the rags, put them in water filled jar and then put them in a metal trash bin. Which is hassle and probably overkill but better safe than sorry.
Back on topic, are there products other than BLO that can achieve the same thing?

Also is just opening the rags and setting them in a metal trash can with lid good enough?

Thanks
Michael

Phil Mueller
08-21-2020, 6:38 AM
I take any rags/gloves/pads, etc. with BLO (or any other combustable finish) and either lay them out flat on a metal tray outside - I use an old cookie sheet (not stacked...just one layer individually) or lay them over the edge of a trash can. Once dry, they can be put out with the trash.

The other option is just clean the wood with something like Murphys oil soap and finish with just wax, shellac, or a rattle can finish.

Michael Bulatowicz
08-21-2020, 6:45 AM
It’s my understanding that the difference between BLO and standard linseed oil is the addition of heavy metal based catalytic drying agents that speed up the oxidation process. It’s this faster oxidation generating heat that causes the fire danger—it’s much harder to get plain linseed oil to spontaneously combust.

While I have no direct experience comparing drying times, durability, and so on, I have had good experiences with tung oil, which is another drying (oxidizing) oil that is still much slower drying than BLO. Tung oil worked quite well for restoring sheen and feel without destroying the patina in my Atkins rip saw handle. I have used it for a number of projects and the drying time can vary from a couple of days to a week or more depending on the wood and the temperature. I simply spread the rag out on on a concrete paver to dry afterward and there were no problems.

bill epstein
08-21-2020, 6:52 AM
Years ago I read a Jeff Jewitt article on methods of cleaning antiques while he was at the Smithsonian and it's what I've done with great results ever since.

Begin with plain warm water and see. If the surface still looks soiled use a little dishwashing soap in the water and clean until no more dirt comes off on white rags.

To go beyond that, in a least visible place try VM&P Naptha. Be advised that with Naptha, unlike BLO, the fire hazard doesn't lurk, it's right there looking you in the face :D

Besides, Naptha, Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits are excellent cleaners, as is TSP. All these chemicals have pros and cons. Always begin with water, then soap and water.

I don't know why anyone would use BLO to get the cleaning effect of mineral spirits on the wood. You want to clean and only then make a decision about whether to finish with just wax or some other finish top coat.

Jim Matthews
08-21-2020, 8:40 AM
I use Olive Oil or Murphy's oil soap on old paint.

Try with a white paper towel in an inconspicuous corner, first to see if the color "lifts".

Some older chests had milk paint applied.

Michael J Evans
08-21-2020, 10:34 AM
Thanks everyone, I should have clarified that I want to clean the old tools inside the chests, not the chests themselves. Surprisingly whatever paint they used on the chests has held up pretty well imo.

bill epstein
08-21-2020, 11:38 AM
Thanks everyone, I should have clarified that I want to clean the old tools inside the chests, not the chests themselves. Surprisingly whatever paint they used on the chests has held up pretty well imo.

Face, meet palm.

Jim Koepke
08-21-2020, 2:37 PM
My first choice is Howard's Feed & Wax. > https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

A cloth with this on it will soften most dirt, and makes tool handles look great.

There is a rag in the shop that has become saturated with Feed & Wax over the years. It is great for wiping down planes and other tools before setting them back on the shelf.

jtk

chris carter
08-21-2020, 3:01 PM
To clean the wood, sometimes just plain water will work. If it doesn't, I start adding some mild dish soap or Simple Green (ordinary multipurpose cleaner) to the water. I've never needed more than that. Thomas Johnson, if you've ever watched any of his billion restoration videos on youtube, pretty much uses Krud Kutter (multipurpose cleaner) and water for all wood cleaning.

As for BLO rags, I drape them over the edge of the garbage can outside and when completely dry I push them in.

Michael J Evans
08-22-2020, 1:30 AM
My first choice is Howard's Feed & Wax. > https://www.howardproducts.com/product/feed-n-wax-wood-polish-and-conditioner/

A cloth with this on it will soften most dirt, and makes tool handles look great.

There is a rag in the shop that has become saturated with Feed & Wax over the years. It is great for wiping down planes and other tools before setting them back on the shelf.

jtk

Thanks Jim
I may give that a try.

Michael J Evans
08-22-2020, 1:32 AM
To clean the wood, sometimes just plain water will work. If it doesn't, I start adding some mild dish soap or Simple Green (ordinary multipurpose cleaner) to the water. I've never needed more than that. Thomas Johnson, if you've ever watched any of his billion restoration videos on youtube, pretty much uses Krud Kutter (multipurpose cleaner) and water for all wood cleaning.

As for BLO rags, I drape them over the edge of the garbage can outside and when completely dry I push them in.

Chris
Guess I never thought of the basic soap and water. I will give that a try on some screw driver handles and see how it goes.thanks

Rafael Herrera
08-22-2020, 11:37 AM
In the past I have used alcohol and steel wool. Followed by a few coats of BLO and wax.

This case is a little more extreme, I'm not sure what this is but it's thick.
439518 439519u

Jim Koepke
08-22-2020, 3:59 PM
In the past I have used alcohol and steel wool. Followed by a few coats of BLO and wax.

This case is a little more extreme, I'm not sure what this is but it's thick.

Most likely it is aged tallow from either lamb or beef.

jtk

Scott T Smith
08-22-2020, 4:32 PM
Kramer's antique restorer does a great job on older wood and steel.