PDA

View Full Version : Makita Track/Plunge Saw

tim walker
08-20-2020, 3:21 PM
About to pull trigger. Trying to decide between corded or cordless. My thoughts are if you are going to have a vacuum hose attached anyway, is having a cordless system necessary? Will be used in shop 99% of the time and other 1% probably around house somewhere. Also, from what I see online, Makita keeps a pretty tight reign on the prices. Anyone have a fav source for buying such? The best deal I have found is no sales tax and free shipping (saves almost 7%). Makita is also offering a free 39" track. Not sure what it is really good for as far as sheet goods, maybe good for lumber, so will buy a 55" also and connect.

Bernie Kopfer
08-20-2020, 3:39 PM
i have the corded version and am very happy with it. I'm really pleased with the dust collection. The Dewalt track clamps are excellent too. Cannot comment on the cordless version but if it is similar to the difference between a corded drill and a cordless one I would not stick with the cord.

Jamie Buxton
08-20-2020, 4:05 PM
Yeah, a tool with a vacuum hose gains nothing by battery power. Well, it does gain cost, and gives you yet another charger cluttering the shop.

Jim Becker
08-20-2020, 4:08 PM
I would opt for corded unless there was a good reason that corless/battery power would be an advantage to you for what you plan to use the tool for. I cannot think of even a single instance when having battery power on my track saw would have benefitted me.

Dean Arthur
08-20-2020, 4:09 PM
Vote for corded as well.

To me the Makita has two annoying flaws - the electrical cord is on the wrong side and the dust collection hose always twists downwards getting in the way by catching on the piece you're working on.

Both are easily fixed with a zip tie and small screw with a dab of epoxy.

(https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/dc-share/20200820_144151.jpg)https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/dc-share/forum/20200820_145005.jpg
(https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/dc-share/20200820_144151.jpg)
(https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/dc-share/20200820_144151.jpg)https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/dc-share/forum/20200820_144151.jpg

Here's a handy little conversion decal you can order as well as the Makita is in metric: http://makeeverythingshop.com/store/makita-track-saw-conversion-chart-sticker

(http://makeeverythingshop.com/store/makita-track-saw-conversion-chart-sticker)https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/dc-share/forum/20200820_144200.jpg

(http://makeeverythingshop.com/store/makita-track-saw-conversion-chart-sticker)

ChrisA Edwards
08-20-2020, 4:10 PM
If there's not much difference in price, I would go cordless. That's assuming that you will probably only break down 3 or 4 sheets at a time. I have no idea what the battery life is like, but I assume this wouldn't be an issue.

I like the idea of cordless as it allows you to have a saw that you can use anywhere, so it offers a little more versatility.

As you've stated, get that second track so you can rip full length on a sheet.

I've had my Festool track saw for10+ years, it's a great setup, as I believe the Makita is.

I have one of these that I use a lot with my track saw

https://www.toolnut.com/insta-railsquare-track-saw-square-dog-set-for-festool-makita-rails-1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvvj5BRDkARIsAGD9vlJ6cYPKh_UkzcR-wob76kK9hjba-Kk2l1-S43gKyQ_HrzvZAITDYawaAilXEALw_wcB

https://www.toolnut.com/media/catalog/product/i/n/instakit_1.jpg?quality=100&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=700&width=700&canvas=700:700

Mark Bolton
08-20-2020, 4:14 PM
We have the corded as well. While we use a good bit of cordless in the shop I am a corded man wherever possible. Batteries are handy when they are essential but there is no comparison to power and non-stop usage of a cord.

I have some similar gripes about the Makita as Dean. The cord management could be better but honestly when your breaking down sheets or anything large a cord and a hose are always going to be a bit of a chore. If you can setup a sawing station and hang the hose with a good bit of drape that would be your best bet but we are always fussing with the hose dragging over the edge of the work and so on. I honestly reach for it the most for the dust pickup. If I have to saw anything I use it first just to keep the dust off the floor.

We bought ours from CPO because I have no problem with factory reconditioned. Saved us a boat load. More often than not your getting a tool that someone returned for a cheaper price, different item, and was likely never even plugged in.

Jared Sankovich
08-20-2020, 4:18 PM
The cordless takes a thin kerf blade. Ive heard complaints.

I have the corded and would buy another

Dean Arthur
08-20-2020, 5:36 PM
Like Mark I initially bought a factory reconditioned from CPO but unfortunately it was a disaster (as was the reconditioned hammer drill and jigsaw from them, after that I stopped). I returned it and bought another new from Amazon a few years ago for $280. Looks like they've gone up. 55in rail was $73. I would love that shorter 39" rail for cross cutting the ends off of tables.

glenn bradley
08-20-2020, 6:03 PM
Another corded user. Like you I use it primarily in the shop or just outside. With the vac hose connected the cordless option becomes moot unless you are on the job site and have no convenient power. Plus, no batteries to buy . . . ever.

ed vitanovec
08-20-2020, 7:23 PM
I had the corded Makita and it was a great saw, very quite too.

tim walker
08-20-2020, 7:43 PM
I have decided to go with the corded version. What are ya'lls thoughts on off brand tracks such as Powetec? https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71387-Connectors-Woodworking-Compatible/dp/B07RF7NYDL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 A good bit cheaper but worried about the quality. Actually for 2 55" tracks and connectors from AMZ is $193 vs Powertec at $127

tim walker
08-20-2020, 7:52 PM
Additionally, the 39" rail doesn't come free with the corded saw. I was thinking I just need to spend a few dollars more and have two 55" rails vs 1 - 55" and 1 - 39". Thoughts?

Bryan Lisowski
08-20-2020, 8:10 PM
If you are using in shop 99% of time I would buy 1 55" and 1 longer if Makita makes. You will also need the connectors. 2 55" at a minimum will allow for crosscuts and rips on 8' stock.

glenn bradley
08-20-2020, 9:18 PM
I have decided to go with the corded version. What are ya'lls thoughts on off brand tracks such as Powetec? https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71387-Connectors-Woodworking-Compatible/dp/B07RF7NYDL/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 A good bit cheaper but worried about the quality. Actually for 2 55" tracks and connectors from AMZ is $193 vs Powertec at $127

One of the unique things the Makita does is lock to the rail during bevel cuts. I would not want to give up that feature for a few bucks if the Powertec rails aren't complaint.

I have some other items from Powertec and they are of good quality.

Dave Sabo
08-20-2020, 10:00 PM
The cordless takes a thin kerf blade. Ive heard complaints.

I have the corded and would buy another

The blade that comes with is 1.6mm kerf, but you can't buy a replacement from Makita in that width - so...........................

John Goodin
08-20-2020, 11:06 PM
I have looked at the Makita for awhile and CPO Outlet seems to have good prices and occasionally has remanufactured track saws.

tim walker
08-21-2020, 12:30 AM
CPO is out of stock currently. They sell both new and refurb. Unfortunately they charge sales tax in Texas. Ace Tools. Tool Orbit and Industrial are the only ones I found that do charge. So that's a savings of about $30. Almost every site was exact same price, so Makita is apparently being pretty strict on resale pricing.

Curt Harms
08-21-2020, 8:34 AM
Additionally, the 39" rail doesn't come free with the corded saw. I was thinking I just need to spend a few dollars more and have two 55" rails vs 1 - 55" and 1 - 39". Thoughts?

55 + 39 = 94" which isn't long enough for an 8' sheet. For me being able to cut an 8' sheet of plywood the long way would be one of the primary reasons to buy a track saw.

Clark Hussey
08-21-2020, 8:38 AM
I just bought the power tech track 110” I am very happy with it.

Jim Becker
08-21-2020, 9:31 AM
I've had good experience with PowerTec products to-date and those tracks do look nice in the photo. But I'll also chime in that having a 55" track plus a "longer than 8' track" is the way to go over joining two shorter ones. I also picked up a shorter Makita track a while back from an SMC Contributor in the classifieds and I find it very handy for using my track saw for mobile cross cutting and other tasks where the 55" track is cumbersome. (I use a Festool saw, but the Makita tracks are compatible) I actually just used that for the wide pine flooring project I've been working on as I had to use the one garage bay in my shop building to house and cut the 12' long material.

Jim Dwight
08-21-2020, 12:27 PM
I have a DeWalt, corded. The hose is a much bigger issue than the cord. I velcro the cord to the hose and will try that idea of zip tying the cord to the hose connection on the saw - the DeWalt has the same arrangement. I got the long track, I think it's 106 inches, and a 55 with my saw originally. I later added the short one they offer, I think it is 44 inches. The short one is handy, I use it as much or more than the others. I have never connected my tracks, with the DeWalt you can only use one connector so it probably doesn't work as well. But connected tracks will never be as trouble free as a long track. But long tracks are expensive. Ideally, I think you want one, however.

So for your situation, which is similar to mine (shop use mainly), I would get the corded and I would want a 100+ inch track, a 59, and a shorter one. But you don't necessarily have to have all the tracks initially, depending on your projects. Two 59 inch could work but I think people do this more when they are having to transport the tracks a lot (100+ inches is harder to pack to take to a site).

glenn bradley
08-21-2020, 12:36 PM

55 + 39 = 94" which isn't long enough for an 8' sheet. For me being able to cut an 8' sheet of plywood the long way would be one of the primary reasons to buy a track saw.

Ditto here. I went with two 55" tracks. A 39" track is good for shorter cuts on smaller panels but, I have a tablesaw for that and so do not miss it. I do understand how it would be useful on the job but, not in exchange for a second 55" for me.

tim walker
08-21-2020, 4:56 PM
Glenn, there are two connector systems for the tracks. One is a single and the other a double. Which do you have and are you happy with it?

tim walker
08-21-2020, 4:58 PM
Also, I was watching a review of the Makita and the Woodworker had the Insta Rail Square product. He did not like it and said he could not get customer satisfaction (no one ever answered his email) from the Manufacturer norToolNut. His review of the kit starts at about 11:40 secs in to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op511kzrzNs&t=1s

Frank Washer
08-21-2020, 5:07 PM
I had both, corded & cordless dewalt, just sold the corded one, the cordless dewalt with 60 volt battery does a great job. I do most cutting outside the shop than bring the pcs in so dust control is not an issue, when I have to cut inside just hook up to the dust collector. When I bought the kit it came with the 102 & 55 inch tracks , just make sure to leave it longer where you start the cut so the saw is supported.

Jack Frederick
08-21-2020, 6:25 PM
For mostly shop work I'd go corded. I have the F-55 with the two-55 and 1-36" or so. The while the longer units are great I probably use the shorter one the most and find it very convenient to have it available. I fought the longer units for a couple years and then got the shorter piece. I think you "spend a little more" idea is a good one. You won't be disappointed.

Dean Egnater
08-21-2020, 7:07 PM
I have the corded version with a 55" track....works great for breaking down sheet goods....much safer than my table saw. Buy clamps for the track...I got the dewalt ones and they fit perfectly.

Bob Hardin
08-23-2020, 4:32 PM
One of the unique things the Makita does is lock to the rail during bevel cuts. I would not want to give up that feature for a few bucks if the Powertec rails aren't complaint.

I have some other items from Powertec and they are of good quality.
How does it lock to the rail and still move along the track? Dumb question?

glenn bradley
08-23-2020, 5:59 PM
How does it lock to the rail and still move along the track? Dumb question?

It has a little flip latch that catches under part of the profile. The "normal" guides on the rail guide the saw, the "keeper" is not a tight fit, just a non-tip feature. Something pointed out in a few reviews that I kind of gave a "meh" response to. I benefited from it on my very first project . . . who knew?

Larry Edgerton
08-24-2020, 8:44 AM
I have the cordless version, have had it a couple of years, use it on site a lot and have absolutely no complaints. Has rotten a lot of rough use cutting sheeting and decking and does well, no cord is handy. I have a TS75 as well, think I like the Makita better.

tim walker
08-24-2020, 3:25 PM
Man I was going thru Checkout at Ace Tools and then the shipping costs of $278 shoed up on a 4 pcs total cart value of $570. Guess I will go elsewhere.

Jamie Buxton
08-24-2020, 3:30 PM
Man I was going thru Checkout at Ace Tools and then the shipping costs of $278 shoed up on a 4 pcs total cart value of $570. Guess I will go elsewhere.

Were you buying a long track? That might be the issue. At some length, packages get too long for regular UPS.

tim walker
08-24-2020, 3:46 PM
Nope, the 55" that comes with the saw and an additional 55" with connecting kit.

tim walker
08-24-2020, 3:47 PM
It was $226 if I reduced cart to only the saw and carrying case.

tim walker
08-24-2020, 5:53 PM
So I am about ready to order (still havent decided who) but now torn between ordering a second 55" track ($87 plus connectors at $35 = $122 plus tax) or just going for the 118" track at $225. Will utilize for building cabinets for my shop but very little usage after that.

Jim Becker
08-24-2020, 7:25 PM
Tim, I don't use my long track very much, but I'm glad I have it. It's much preferable over joining two together for long cuts and I know it's absolutely straight.

tim walker
08-24-2020, 8:34 PM
Jim, do you have the connectors for two shorter tracks and if so have you had any alignment issues while cutting?

Jim Becker
08-25-2020, 9:19 AM
Jim, do you have the connectors for two shorter tracks and if so have you had any alignment issues while cutting?

Yes, I had them originally, but wasn't enamored. My experience at the time was that the connection was "fussy". I could get it straight, but by moving on to the long track, the cut was done in less time than assembling two tracks. I sold one ~55" track when I bought the long one. Later, I added a "short" track (Makita branded rather than Festool) when someone was selling them here in the SMC classifieds. That's also come in handy a lot. It probably gets more used than the ~55" one simply because it's suitable for many of the cuts I do with the track saw "in the shop". (I have a slider and a CNC)

tim walker
08-26-2020, 2:13 PM
Jim, did you have the single or double set of connectors? The double set should help alignment issues at least to a degree wouldn't it?

ChrisA Edwards
08-26-2020, 2:51 PM
I use two Festool 55" tracks and use the two connectors when ripping the length of an 8' sheet.

The amount of slop or movement, imagining the location of the connectors as a hinge, is less than 1/16", 55 inches away. If the cut is super critical, over that length, I'll put a straight edge, along the back side of the rail, spanning the seam of the two rails, and make sure they are aligned as accurately as possible.

At some point I may buy a long one piece track, but, to-date, I've not had any issues with the connected rails.

glenn bradley
08-26-2020, 3:45 PM
I do as ChrisA does without issue. I ripped a batch of French cleats 3-1/2" wide out of 3/4" material. They all fit together.

Jim Becker
08-26-2020, 3:49 PM
Jim, did you have the single or double set of connectors? The double set should help alignment issues at least to a degree wouldn't it?
Double. But that was a long time ago (mid-2000s)

I have nothing against using the connectors and admittedly, storing an 8'+ long track can be a challenge for many folks. I fortunately have a place on the wall for it under my two 9' pipe clamps. :)

Dave Sabo
08-26-2020, 9:03 PM
For those of you joining makita/festool rails,do yourself a favor and get the tso connectors. Better than the makita ones, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than festool.

https://tsoproducts.com/accessories/grc-12-self-aligning-guide-rail-connectors/

mike stenson
08-26-2020, 9:14 PM
For those of you joining makita/festool rails,do yourself a favor and get the tso connectors. Better than the makita ones, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than festool.

Yea, I'm now happy I read this thread. Thanks!

ChrisA Edwards
08-26-2020, 9:33 PM

I looked at these on the TSO website and again tried to find something about them on Youtube, what makes them better and self aligning?

mike stenson
08-26-2020, 9:36 PM
I looked at these on the TSO website and again tried to find something about them on Youtube, what makes them better and self aligning?

It's a T shape, at least my Festool connectors are not. Can I get them straight? Sure, but for the $$$ when I order the parf guide I'll probably tack these on.

tim walker
08-27-2020, 1:08 PM
Bit the bullet on the saw w/55" track, now trying to decide on a 55" or 118". With the 55 I may go with the TSO connectors.

Larry Edgerton
08-27-2020, 5:16 PM
So I am about ready to order (still havent decided who) but now torn between ordering a second 55" track ($87 plus connectors at $35 = $122 plus tax) or just going for the 118" track at $225. Will utilize for building cabinets for my shop but very little usage after that.

I see you are in Comfort Texas, do you happen to know Wayne Micheals?

Dave Sabo
08-27-2020, 7:20 PM

What makes them better ? - The fact that they are self aligning !

Their design does that. That they are roughly the same price as the other options is just a bonus.

tim walker
08-27-2020, 8:05 PM
I see you are in Comfort Texas, do you happen to know Wayne Micheals?

Hi Larry, we just moved here in March so I have not had a chance to meet many folks especially b/c of CV. Is he a woodworker?

tim walker
08-27-2020, 8:07 PM
Still wavering, $215 shipping included for a 118" and $150 for another 55" plus the TSO alignment. Is it worth the extra $$65?

Jim Becker
08-27-2020, 8:13 PM
$215 shipped for the 118" Makita rail is a good price, IMHO. The Festool is $385 for the same product. I've already mentioned my preferences and why previously.

Dave Sabo
08-27-2020, 9:10 PM
Still wavering, $215 shipping included for a 118" and $150 for another 55" plus the TSO alignment. Is it worth the extra $$65?

It might be if you don’t take your show on the road, and have a good place to store it 10’ is pretty long.

On second thought , just get. Everything is bigger in Texas , so you need it. :D

Larry Edgerton
08-28-2020, 10:31 AM
Hi Larry, we just moved here in March so I have not had a chance to meet many folks especially b/c of CV. Is he a woodworker?

Yes, an extraordinary woodworker. I was down to see him a couple of years ago, he was sad as his wife had passed away. He lives just outside town in a house owned by a church. Not sure how he is doing, the loss of Maria took the light out of his eyes. He had a shop in Comfort for a long time. If you meet any woodworkers in the area they will know him. I used to live in Kerrville but met Wayne up here in Michigan.

tim walker
09-01-2020, 5:37 PM
Bit the bullet, have the 118" on order.