PDA

View Full Version : Flat vs satin conversion varnish

Lesley Matson
08-20-2020, 12:11 PM
I’m looking for a very durable finish for a teak dining table. I’d also like it to be as low sheen as possible. I have heard good things about General Finishes products and saw this thread:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?225871-Refinishing-Teak-table-top-Can-I-use-Poly

My question (especially for Scott Vroom!) is if anyone has experience with the flat finish in either the Enduro Poly or the Enduro Conversion Varnish? Or best to stick with satin?

Jim Becker
08-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Prashun recently used the Target Coatings EM8000cv in a flat/matte sheen on a large walnut project and it turned out stellar. I haven't used that sheen (yet) but love the finish.

Thomas Canfield
08-20-2020, 3:08 PM
I would only caution what was told to our woodworking group about 25 years back by paint representative. You can't improve a satin or dull finish to a gloss, but you can rub a gloss down to a satin or duller finish. There are powders added to the satin that cause the duller finish and do not allow light to penetrate to give the shine and will remain no matter how much you polish the surface. A rubbing compound will dull a gloss finish, but can be polish back to gloss if you change your mind later. For that reason, I only use gloss varnish in making my home brew Danish oils and can use Tripoli buff to remove some gloss when desired.

John TenEyck
08-20-2020, 3:39 PM
I have used Enduro Clear Poly in flat sheen and it gives a very natural look, almost like no finish at all. But for a dining room table I would use the CV as it's a lot more durable. Actually, I think I would use Target Coatings conversion varnish, EM-8000CV, instead of GF's as the consensus of most here is that it sprays beautifully. And I would choose the flat sheen if that's the sheen I wanted.

John

Prashun Patel
08-20-2020, 3:40 PM
Personally, if you haven't used them, I'd stick with Satin. I just redid my neighbor's table in Target EM8000cv in Satin and the gloss was minimal. I've preferred refinishing the 3 tables I've done in satin anyway to hide scratches and dents that you can't get out.

This being said, does Teak like to be finished at all? It's an oily wood I thought. I've never finished it.

Lesley Matson
08-20-2020, 5:50 PM
Thank you all. This is so helpful. Previously we have just oiled the teak table but with kids it has ended up with all kinds of spots and rings, even though we try to be good about using mats and coasters. I spoke to a local high-end Mid Century shop that refinishes a lot of teak, and they use some kind of sprayed waterborne poly acrylic but I don’t like the look of it on the teak tables. So I think I’d be better off going with a reputable refinishing shop that is set up to use the conversion varnish of my choice. Have any of you ever used/seen conversion varnish on teak? Or have reason to think there would be a problem? Thank you again!