PDA

View Full Version : Do Blum hinges rust?

Brian Behrens
08-20-2020, 8:07 AM
I've been commissioned to build some outdoor cabinetry. It will be on an uncovered deck and exposed to rain. I was planning to use Blum hinges for the doors, but concerned that they will rust. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks.

Matt Day
08-20-2020, 8:26 AM
https://www.blum.com/th/en/products/news-specials/hinges-with-bcor-surface-protection/overview/

Donald G. Burns
08-20-2020, 9:48 AM
I had to replace some Blum hinges that came on the cabinet doors of my stainless Dynasty BBQ. Not so much for rust of the hinge itself, but because the self closing spring mechanism froze up after some 1/2 or more years.

Jamie Buxton
08-20-2020, 10:15 AM
Stainless steel cup hinges are available. Sugatsune makes them, as do others.

David Zaret
08-20-2020, 10:36 AM
what jamie said. buy the stainless/food-grade euro cup hinges, you're good to go.

Aaron Rosenthal
08-20-2020, 12:51 PM
Everything rusts. Period.
I didn't open the link, but my experience tells me how I treat items in a high humidity/exterior space. I actually use a spray-bomb of clear lacquer on exposed items. I also oil inner portions of things with a dripless lithium based grease.
I also put maintenance schedules in prominent spaces.

Jim Barstow
08-21-2020, 11:54 AM
This is a little extreme but I had Blum hinges in an outdoor cabinet by our pool where I stored some powdered chlorine in sealed plastic pouches for 2 years. There was a very minor odor of chlorine but the rust on the hinges was extreme. View this as pharmaceutical testing on a mouse: you get an idea of results in an accelerated time frame.

Mark Bolton
08-21-2020, 3:21 PM
Just be cautious about mentioning/offering soft close if you havent already. Weve only found a few sources for soft close 304 stainless and the ones we got some samples of were super low quality imports. Sugatsune offers self close last I looked for them but not soft. I'd imagine with the outdoor kitchen craze manufacturers will be rolling out more stainless. Surprised they havent yet.

Brian Behrens
08-21-2020, 9:01 PM
https://www.blum.com/th/en/products/news-specials/hinges-with-bcor-surface-protection/overview/

Thanks for all the input. This looks like the answer. Now I just need to find somewhere to buy the hinges with this coating. Preliminary research was not promising