PDA

View Full Version : Kell honing guide?

Jens Hoffmann
08-19-2020, 9:25 AM
Does anybody know if the Kell honing guides are still being made? I've been trying to buy a No. 2 guide with large rollers and it seems to be on backorder everywhere. Garrett Wade just keeps moving their availability date back every few weeks.

I've been looking at this guide mainly because it seems to do well with Japanese chisels. Are there any other guides that do a decent job with Japanese chisels? I tried the Veritas and didn't like it and the regular Eclipse guide does not hold them well...

For the most part I've been freehand sharpening but would like something that will provide a bit more consistency.
Thanks

Jake Hillestad
08-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Don't know if they're still made or not, I suspect the delays are Covid 19 related.

I've got an unused No.1 and No.2 I'd be willing to let go of, drop me a line if you want.

ken hatch
08-19-2020, 10:16 AM
Does anybody know if the Kell honing guides are still being made? I've been trying to buy a No. 2 guide with large rollers and it seems to be on backorder everywhere. Garrett Wade just keeps moving their availability date back every few weeks.

I've been looking at this guide mainly because it seems to do well with Japanese chisels. Are there any other guides that do a decent job with Japanese chisels? I tried the Veritas and didn't like it and the regular Eclipse guide does not hold them well...

For the most part I've been freehand sharpening but would like something that will provide a bit more consistency.
Thanks

Jens,

I've used the Kell guide with Japanese chisels and was not really impressed. It kinda works but if you can freehand I'd stick with it. I had a LN guide that I gave to a friend after trying it for awhile, IIRC it would work with some of the Japanese chisels. BTW, that is one of the reasons other than slowness I do not use guides, none work for all cutters which means some will need to be free handed. If you have to free hand one cutter you might as well do 'em all.

I do not have a link and I know nothing about the jig but IIRC there is a jig that is designed to handle Japanese chisels and plane blades. It is kinda expensive but it could be what you are looking for.

ken

glenn bradley
08-19-2020, 11:21 AM
I have both sizes and both wheel sizes. I have always just bought them from Richard via his website (http://richardkell.co.uk/honingECom.htm). They make honing certain cutters much quicker for me.

Tony Zaffuto
08-19-2020, 11:37 AM
I have both sizes and both wheel sizes. I have always just bought them from Richard via his website (http://richardkell.co.uk/honingECom.htm). They make honing certain cutters much quicker for me.

As Glenn has said, they're great for certain sized cutters/blades. I have the large one, have had it for nearly a decade, have used it maybe once in the past year, but I would not part with it! Where I have found it useful, is on high angle bevels, and on wide blades (for me, the Stanley #80 scraper, and its 45 degree bevel).

Mike Henderson
08-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Another option is https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e?item=05P3203.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...BoCjmMQAvD_BwE

Both of those links fail for me. (404)

Mike

lowell holmes
08-19-2020, 11:52 AM
I don't know what the problem is, but visit the Lee Valley site and then google honing guides. The other guide that I have is a Kell.

Richard Verwoest
08-19-2020, 6:28 PM
Have you tried "tuning" your Eclipse? An hour spent with a file may save some cash. And at 15 bucks, you could have a dedicated honing guide for your chisels.

glenn bradley
08-19-2020, 7:09 PM
Have you tried "tuning" your Eclipse? An hour spent with a file may save some cash. And at 15 bucks, you could have a dedicated honing guide for your chisels.

The Kell is a different beast. I have an Eclipse, the Veritas MK-II and so forth. For short or thin irons (1/8" and 3/16" chisels, router plane cutters in a holder) the Kell No 1 is a breeze. The No 2 opens up the same method to more cutters. Somewhat like the Eclipse it requires parallel iron sides for the best repeatable result. The MK-II takes care of tapered or just well worn cutters. Depending on the arrows in your quiver, a variety of guides can speed things along and give some of us the consistency we're after if we are social outcasts born without the sharpening gene :D.

Phil Gaudio
08-19-2020, 7:36 PM
Just buy it from it direct:

http://richardkell.co.uk/honingECom.htm

Stephen Rosenthal
08-20-2020, 3:47 PM
Looks like Woodpeckers is coming out with another (possibly improved) version of their honing guide. Still pretty pricey and no accommodation for skewed blades, but saves ordering both versions of the Kell guide. I passed on the initial version because of the price and having the Veritas Mk. II and most of its accessories. Despite being underwhelmed with the Mk. II, I’ll probably pass on this one for the same reason but admit that I’m giving it a bit more consideration this time around.
https://www.woodpeck.com/ott-tool-sharpening-system-fw-2020.html?source=W10309EM&tp=i-1NGB-BC-Mla-1B5Ek5-1o-7yu5-1c-1B5Wls-l508qLx9sN-30vx7&sourcekey=W10309EM&utm_source=email&utm_medium=emarketing&cid=87518&mid=1079920841&om_rid=i-1NGB-BC-Mla-1B5Ek5-1o-7yu5-1c-1B5Wls-l508qLx9sN-30vx7&om_mid=87518

Derek Cohen
08-20-2020, 7:55 PM
I use a honing guide for BU plane blades - they are necessary to obtain a 50 degree micro bevel. My preference is the LN, because frills are not needed for this operation. If it was necessary to restore something trickier, such as an angle, I would use the Veritas Mk2. All other plane blades are hollow ground at the desired angle, and then freehanded. The hollow acts as a jig.

Western chisels are generally hollow ground and freehand sharpened. Japanese chisels are freehand honed on the flat. If the angle or flat need to be restored, or the angle changed, my preference is the original Sharp Skate (side sharpening) guide.

Regards from Perth

Derek

bill epstein
08-25-2020, 9:21 AM

Oh, sorry, I thought he wrote Krell

Christopher L Everett
08-25-2020, 11:09 PM
I ordered a Number 2 honing guide from the Richard Kell home page 8/12. Used PayPal.

I got no acknowledgement of their order, no email to say it was being sent. I sent an email yesterday, but no response.

Is the man OK?