PDA

View Full Version : A Helpful Delta Unisaw Rebuild Video Series

Josh Pauling
08-19-2020, 9:12 AM
Hey fellow woodworkers,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've benefited a lot from the knowledge shared on this forum over the years. In attempt to give back, I've created a Delta Unisaw rebuild video series that documents the many steps in repairing and refurbishing these classic machines. Since they are such common tools that folks work on and have questions about, and they come up on the forum quite a lot, I thought this might help a lot of folks. Here is the link to the series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFq3xJeMBVFe0Q3J1vzy9YqYDhGf3VnFy.

My YouTube channel has several other videos of woodworking machinery restoration and repair that may help people navigate their shop equipment more successfully as well. I hope this helps fellow woodworkers out in the same way I've been helped out by the sawmill creek community. Thanks!

Bruce King
08-19-2020, 10:08 PM
Josh, great set of videos, I watched 4 of them already. I replaced the three arbor bearings on a 92 North State saw so I can relate to the work involved.

Patrick Kane
08-20-2020, 9:22 AM
I will have to watch them, but that was a good idea. In my opinion, if you understand the mechanics and breakdown of a unisaw, you can work on just about any north american cabinet saw from the last 50 years. Very similar process if you decide to work on a PM66/PM72 or similar 12/14" saws. Like you mention, it seems the unisaw is one of the more prolific cabinet saws of the decades. I have a skewed view because Delta/Rockwell was headquartered in Pittsburgh for a time, so i think the locals had a loyalty to the brand. I am interested how the Unisaw sold compared to the 65/66 from Powermatic from the 50s through the 90s.

Josh Pauling
08-21-2020, 9:44 PM
Josh, great set of videos, I watched 4 of them already. I replaced the three arbor bearings on a 92 North State saw so I can relate to the work involved.
Thanks Bruce! Funny you mention a North State table saw. I just refurbished a sold one this week. They have very similar internal parts to the Unisaw.

Josh Pauling
08-21-2020, 9:53 PM
I will have to watch them, but that was a good idea. In my opinion, if you understand the mechanics and breakdown of a unisaw, you can work on just about any north american cabinet saw from the last 50 years. Very similar process if you decide to work on a PM66/PM72 or similar 12/14" saws. Like you mention, it seems the unisaw is one of the more prolific cabinet saws of the decades. I have a skewed view because Delta/Rockwell was headquartered in Pittsburgh for a time, so i think the locals had a loyalty to the brand. I am interested how the Unisaw sold compared to the 65/66 from Powermatic from the 50s through the 90s.

Good point Patrick. I agree, if you can disassemble and reassemble a Unisaw, you can generalize a lot of those skills to other cabinet saws. Actually I just finished restoring a Powermatic 72 and did a YouTube series on it as well. Wow, what a beast of a saw!

Regarding Delta vs. Powermatic sales, nothing really can match the sales of the Delta Unisaw during the era you mention. My experience and research leads me to say it sold more than any other machine in its class. As a point of reference, in the last two years, I've restored 20 or so Unisaws, and have had no problem finding replacement parts. In the same timeframe, I've been happy to get my hands on 5 Powermatics to restore. I think this tends to be true. From working on several of both saws, the Unisaw is a bit more elegant and refined in its design and internal parts, while you might say the Powermatics were a bit more industrial (slightly) in their look and feel. The major difference is the PM 66 is a left-tilt and the motor frame size is more readily available than the unique Unisaw motor mount. Personally, I lean toward Powermatic for my own use, but both saws are going to meet the needs of most woodworkers just fine.

Patrick Kane
08-21-2020, 10:16 PM
Same. I have 3 unisaws under my belt to 1 PM72. I could have purchased two single phase 66s for $400-500 each the last few months, but Covid. Covid and I don’t want to load old cabinet saws in my new car.

I was always under the impression the 66 is a heavier saw than the unisaw. Only like 50lbs, but still. I don’t think I’ve cared for the whole right tilt versus left tilt. Left tilt will cut into your miter/crosscut fence.

Josh Pauling
08-22-2020, 11:51 AM
Same. I have 3 unisaws under my belt to 1 PM72. I could have purchased two single phase 66s for $400-500 each the last few months, but Covid. Covid and I don’t want to load old cabinet saws in my new car.

I was always under the impression the 66 is a heavier saw than the unisaw. Only like 50lbs, but still. I don’t think I’ve cared for the whole right tilt versus left tilt. Left tilt will cut into your miter/crosscut fence.

Wow, PM66s for $400 to $500 sounds good. Yes, you are correct, the PM 66 is about 50 lbs heavier than the Unisaw. Castings are a bit heavier, bigger arbor bearings, and the cast iron tabletop is 1 inch bigger in each direction.