PDA

View Full Version : Would Love To See.....

Chris DiCiaccio
12-30-2005, 9:29 PM
Hi to all you Turners! I am not one, but I enjoy looking at your work. I see mostly your bowls, HF's, and small items like pens, ornaments, candle holders, etc. I would love to see some of your work that you have used in connection with flat work, like cyclinders used on furniture, drawer pulls, spindles,etc. Also any pics of how you've used your lathes to enhance woodworking jigs. Here's a chance to show it off. Keep up the good work.

John Hart
12-31-2005, 6:52 AM
I'd like to see everyone's combos too. Here's three of my recent ones....Course then, I haven't been turning very long so EVERYTHING is recent :rolleyes:

Hourglass Trophy for the Itty Bitty Contest

Pool Cue Rack

Cherry Weaving Loom

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2005, 8:04 AM
Good question.....I just don't have any. I've tried my hand a turning multiple pieces of the same profile. I was a miserable failure. So I don't do that no more.:rolleyes:

Gary Max
12-31-2005, 10:20 AM
I try to use the lathe in everything I build---well almost everything

tod evans
12-31-2005, 10:32 AM
here`s a coffee table i did for my brother for christmas, firewood(oak)

Bill Stevener
12-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi Chris, Some photos of a lathe I completed earlier this year. Has some flat work and utilized more than a dozen jigs. One is of a simple glue-up of one of the components for the lathe.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 11:58 AM
This was one of my first bits of spindle work for furniture...a Shaker style candle stand (Taunton design)...that I did a few years ago. Not only was the base turned on the lathe, but the sliding dovetail mortises were also cut while the piece was mounted on the lathe using a jig and the indexing feature of the machine. A router did the cutting, first with a straight cutter to hog out material and finally with a 5/8" dovetail cutter to complete the recesses. I love this design and plan on making more. Something not evident in the photo too well is the fact that the three legs are tapered from 3/4" at the "root" of the stand to 1/2" at the tips that touch the floor. This very subtle design element brings things into proportion with the 1/2" thick top in an incredible and noticable way.

Curt Fuller
12-31-2005, 12:05 PM
Hi Chris, Some photos of a lathe I completed earlier this year. Has some flat work and utilized more than a dozen jigs. One is of a simple glue-up of one of the components for the lathe.

That just might be the coolest thing I've ever seen! All of these things are amazing. I've never done anything but turn, don't even own a table saw. But now I'm inspired.

Bob Noles
12-31-2005, 12:08 PM

Bill,

Every time I see those pictures I get goose bumps. As already said.... That is one cool project.

Travis Stinson
12-31-2005, 1:19 PM
I think this was my last flatwork project a couple years ago. Lots of router table work and cabinet scrapers on the legs, which are joined with a sliding dovetail. The spindles tripped the latch on the trap door into the black hole.:D

Bill Stevener
12-31-2005, 2:13 PM
Travis, that Norm ain't got nothing on you bud.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>