PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a thin kerf combination blade

James Spillman
08-18-2020, 1:21 PM
I've been using a Craftsman table saw for the last 50 years. It is under powered and has difficulty cutting thicker hardwoods. If I use thin kerf blades the saw will do the job. I use a Freud thin kerf ripping blade and a Freud thin kerf combination blade. It's time to get a new thin kerf combination blade. Are there other blades to consider or should I just stick with Freud?

Charlie Jones
08-18-2020, 1:23 PM
I use the freud Fusion 40 tooth for just about everything.

Lisa Starr
08-18-2020, 4:08 PM
I've tried several and find the Freud consistently does the best job.

Josko Catipovic
08-19-2020, 6:29 AM
I think a quality sharpening service is more important as long as you pick any reasonable brand to start with. I use burnstools.com, and the blades come back from sharpening way better than new.

Raymond Seward
08-19-2020, 7:17 AM
Over the years I've tried most of them. I use Forrest

William Chain
08-19-2020, 9:26 AM
The Freud fusion is great, and comes up for sale on the zon for ~$79. Can’t argue with that price. Forrest blades are wonderful performers but will be more $. I use both, like both, and recommend either one. Forrest also has a great sharpening service so that’s another plus.

Dave Sabo
08-19-2020, 9:59 AM
I’ve used them all too. Forrest brings up the rear in terms of cut quality for what I use. Namely, mahogany, poplar, melamine, and usually walnut veneer ply.

The cut is not bad, it’s simply not as good as the other premium blades from Ridge, Infinity, or the Freud Fuison. I also think my Oldham Wizard Elite is about as good.

Like William said, on sale, I don’t think you’ll find a better value than a tk Fusion.

lowell holmes
08-19-2020, 10:18 AM
I am not disputing what has been said, but I have had one of these for over 10 years and it has never needed to be sharpened. Of course it has never seen nail.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/tenryu-gold-medal-blade/

Dave Sabo
08-19-2020, 11:46 AM
have had one of these for over 10 years and it has never needed to be sharpened.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ten years of cuts is an awful long time to go without sharpening . But I suppose it boils down to how much and what you cut. If you've only run a 1000' of pine in ten years , than sure.

That kmart blade I bought 20 years ago doesn't need sharpening either.

The linked blade is from a quality manuf. , but they don't have some magic carbide -or- design that allows their blades to go appreciably longer between sharpenings than any other quality make.

lowell holmes
08-19-2020, 12:17 PM
I have cut plywood as well as oak, maple, mesquite, . . .
It is a good blade. I do not mistreat it. You normally get what you pay for.

William Chain
08-19-2020, 12:25 PM
I'll take your opinion Mr. Holmes, however I set aside just about everything WW says until I get crystal clear information on who paid for what he's reviewing. His bia$es tend to be pretty clear.

I am not disputing what has been said, but I have had one of these for over 10 years and it has never needed to be sharpened. Of course it has never seen nail.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/tenryu-gold-medal-blade/

Jim Dwight
08-19-2020, 12:28 PM
When I decided to switch my PCS 1.75 hp to thin kerf blades, I bought a Freud Fusion and this one: https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Thin-Combination-Blade-LU83R010/dp/B00020JOAA/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO8FZfQbEy2hDFBaBdXxy 7CnztMkd0dj_fshWtvK41d-W3jR-9yRErxoCmZsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=177810470041&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9010378&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2114978106174667889&hvtargid=kwd-61260487622&hydadcr=1639_9901517&keywords=freud+fusion+thin+kerf&qid=1597854178&sr=8-8&tag=googhydr-20. Actually I think I bought the linked one after making a couple cuts with the Fusion and being a big disappointed with the quality of cut, in some pine. But I left it on and I think it is a good blade. But I bought it originally because it was cheaper than the linked blade. Now it is more and I would probably go with the linked 50 tooth. I've used 50 tooth combination blades like the linked one in both full kerf and thin kerf and they have consistently given me good service. I also have a thin kerf ripping blade with 24 teeth (Freud) but left the Fusion on last time I needed to rip 3 inches in softwood and it did great. So my bottom line on the fusion is I think it's a good blade but it seems to occasionally leave fuzzy surface for me in softwood. I don't think I'd spend $20 more to get it over the 50 tooth combination, however.

lowell holmes
08-19-2020, 1:32 PM
I buy new and pay the cost. My tools are 20 years or more old and still performing well.

Erik Loza
08-19-2020, 2:30 PM
I've used Freud thin-kerfs on my jobsite tools and no complaints with them though I generally don't suggest thin-kerfs for stationary table saws.

Erik

William Chain
08-19-2020, 4:34 PM
Yes sir, I'm sure you do. I refer to the WW, the author of the review you posted. He most certainly does not pay for a lot of the tools he reviews, uses, "loves", etc. His opinions should be met with a healthy skepticism until he is crystal clear with his financial interests.

I buy new and pay the cost. My tools are 20 years or more old and still performing well.

Jon Grider
08-19-2020, 5:59 PM
Just to second Lowell's recommendation. I have two Tenryu Gold thin kerf combo blades, one of which is nearly always on my PM66. It rips and crosscuts the hard maple, cherry, walnut and oak I frequently use and does an adequate+ job on cabinet grade plywood with a ZCI [not as good as a dedicated plywood blade though]. Cheaper than a WWII which I also have and rarely use. I use the Tenryu for straight from the saw glue up applications with out jointing the sawn edge and it performs admirably well. Dynamic did a fine job of sharpening one of them last year IIRC. As an aside, keeping your blade clean and free of sap and pitch goes a long way in cut quality.

Ben Zara
08-19-2020, 7:09 PM
Freud premier fusion. It's awesome and it's affordable.

Scott Bernstein
08-20-2020, 6:44 AM
I strongly suggest Ridge Carbide in New Jersey. Their sharpening service is great and their blades are beyond excellent. I have also tried various blades, including Freud and Forrest - they are not even close.

Dave Sabo
08-20-2020, 7:53 AM
When I decided to switch my PCS 1.75 hp to thin kerf blades, I bought a Freud Fusion and this one: https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Thin-Combination-Blade-LU83R010/dp/B00020JOAA/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO8FZfQbEy2hDFBaBdXxy 7CnztMkd0dj_fshWtvK41d-W3jR-9yRErxoCmZsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=177810470041&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9010378&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2114978106174667889&hvtargid=kwd-61260487622&hydadcr=1639_9901517&keywords=freud+fusion+thin+kerf&qid=1597854178&sr=8-8&tag=googhydr-20. Actually I think I bought the linked one after making a couple cuts with the Fusion and being a big disappointed with the quality of cut, in some pine. But I left it on and I think it is a good blade. But I bought it originally because it was cheaper than the linked blade. Now it is more and I would probably go with the linked 50 tooth. I've used 50 tooth combination blades like the linked one in both full kerf and thin kerf and they have consistently given me good service. I also have a thin kerf ripping blade with 24 teeth (Freud) but left the Fusion on last time I needed to rip 3 inches in softwood and it did great. So my bottom line on the fusion is I think it's a good blade but it seems to occasionally leave fuzzy surface for me in softwood. I don't think I'd spend $20 more to get it over the 50 tooth combination, however.

Are you saying the 50t produced a better cut ripping 3” material ?

I know different blades perform differently on various machines in diff. material, but I’m quite surprised by this.