PDA

View Full Version : What's the first thing your customer notices about what you made

Brian Hale
12-30-2005, 9:29 PM
When you deliver a piece of furniture (or whatever you make) to your customer what's first thing they notice?

Quality of the finish....
How smooth the drawers work....
How the grain pattern looks....
How well it matches other pieces in their room....

For me it tends to be how the finish feels.

Just curious

Brian :)

Mark Rios
12-30-2005, 11:52 PM
The bill.:D

Rob Millard
12-31-2005, 12:04 AM
The clarity and depth of the grain, is the first thing they notice. I've also had a fair number of customers and people at shows, open a drawer and feel for hand plane tracks on secondary surfaces.
Rob Millard

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Since most of what I sell is mesquite, the 'firewood' comment is getting very old. :)

KC

Gail O'Rourke
12-31-2005, 12:29 AM
The first thing that my customer sees is the last thing that I think they will see.
(all the things that I worry about, they never see)

I usually say that? Oh, that's custom.

Jay T. Marlin
12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Definitely the smoothness of the tabletop. Color too.

Frank Pellow
12-31-2005, 3:27 AM
Like you Brian it is "how the finish feels". By the way, I never have any "customers" who pay me for my work; they pay for the material sometimes but never the work.

Alan Turner
12-31-2005, 4:15 AM
It is ddfinitely the finish, unless a highly figured wood is used, at which point is also how the figure/grain is popped. Second is the smoothness of the drawers' operation.

Paul Campolieta
12-31-2005, 5:50 AM
I would have to say it's the finish and how it looks is first. The stuff you would like them to notice like the jointery they seem to not care about.

Mark Singer
12-31-2005, 8:53 AM
The Design...

Jim Kountz
12-31-2005, 10:19 AM
Gail you hit it dead on. Every tiny thing I lose sleep over never gets noticed most of the time. The finish is what does it for them. They want to touch it and ask me how I got it that smooth and is it "hand-rubbed" or not. Its always rewarding to see their faces though and get the comments and compliments.

Chris Giles
12-31-2005, 10:23 AM
It may sound strange, but I am quite sure my customers are mostly interested in watching what I'm doing rather than inspecting the furniture. I think they feel they payed more for me than for the goods since mine is more expensive than what is in the stores. It may also be because everything is dusty from the shop, and until it is completed and wiped down, it won't look its best. There is definitely a theatrical element to a successful installation, at least when the customer is present. They seem to expect a little chef-like razzle dazzle to go with the new furniture. I usually give them steady descriptions of how we made it, finished it, where the wood came from, what other things are traditionally made with the same materials, and why their project is unique. They often will follow me around all day with a broom or vacuum, not because I'm messy, but just wanting to help. It's a strange feeling having someone who makes 20 or 30 times more than you following you around like a rookie apprentice. After the install is complete, then we sit back together and take a good look.

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Since I don't produce for others, I can't comment from experience, but I too think that the average person will notice the quality of the finish (and beauty of the wood because of it) first. A client that is more astute about design will very likely take that in at the same time. If you have the opportunity to meet with the client in their own evironment before you do the work, it will certainily help to give you some clues about what they may see about your work when it is completed. The furniture and decorative things they currently own as well as their arrangement will show you what is important to them in many respects.

Brian Hale
12-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Gail, Jim, there's a lot of truth in what you say. I hate it when they see something i missed and comment on it but never notice what i think is a glaring boo boo. And the hours i spend matching grain or getting joints to look just so don't get any comment.

But, it's nice to watch them rub their hands on the finish while we hang around and chat. :cool:

Brian :)

Wolf Kiessling
12-31-2005, 1:41 PM
All of the responses were in regards to furniture but I feel compelled to add something regarding turnings (I know there is a turning forum but I think this is appropriate here)

The first thing that people seem to notice as they come to my display is the color and the grain pattern of the items. If something catches their eye in this regard, then the second thing they ALWAYS do is start fondling and rubbing the item. It never varies.........

(Sometimes they even hand over a little cash)