PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying a chuck

Eric Arnsdorff
08-17-2020, 8:29 PM
I have a Nova Lathe 1624 with a 1-1/4”-8 spindle thread. While I’ve had the large for many years I’ve not turned much but I’m back into woodworking and I’d like to get a chuck for it. I’d like something that I could use for gripping some smaller square and round stock as well as use to learn on bowls and such.
I’m ok with paying for good quality and prefer to spend more now rather than replacing a beginner chuck later.
What are your recommendations for a good chuck?

Don Stephan
08-17-2020, 8:36 PM
For years I've used a Vicmarc mid-size chuck and extremely pleased. I have long nosed jaws that can clamp on a 1" diameter or so, up to a set of jaws that can clamp about 5 1/4" and a bit larger.

Robert D Evans
08-17-2020, 11:26 PM
I bought a Record Power chuck based on the recommendation of another woodturner. The kit comes with a woodworm screw, faceplate and 50 mm jaws. It's been a good chuck and is big enough to turn 10" bowls. Record Power also has a full range of jaws for the chuck. I also have a Oneway Stonghold chuck for larger bowl turning. Vicmarc, Oneway, Record Power, Nova all make good chucks. You won't go wrong with any of them.

David Walser
08-17-2020, 11:32 PM
Eric -- I'll answer your question first, then I'll make a suggestion that might not seem responsive. I think the best bang for the buck in chucks right now are the chucks from Record Power. There are two: The SC3 and the SC4. The SC4 is slightly larger and a little more money. I prefer it because it uses a 'standard' hex key, rather than a 'chuck key'. With the SC4, it's easier to find a replacement key should you need one. Also a good value are Teknatool's NOVA chucks, in particular the G3 and the SUPERNOVA2. You'll see the Record Power chucks have a striking resemblance to the NOVA chucks. The Record Power are virtual clones, just with a slightly better fit and finish. The SC4, with the proper set of jaws, will handle anything you can safely turn on your 1624. So will the SC3.

Having said that, I prefer Vicmarc chucks. There isn't a better made chuck. However, a Vicmarc won't do anything a Record Power won't do. Nor will it do it better. It's just nicer, without really producing any additional utility. Also in the premium chuck world is the Easy Chuck from Easy Wood Tools. It's made in the USA and it has quick replaceable jaws.

Here's my suggestion: Don't buy a chuck yet. Chuck's are great. I have several and I love using them. However, there's nothing that we turn today that could not have been turned before chucks became available. So my suggestion is to learn how to use a faceplate (and the other traditional methods of mounting a blank on the lathe). Bowls can be turned without chucks. So can boxes. In fact, the traditional methods might be BETTER than using a chuck -- just not as fast. Once you've learned the traditional methods, then buy a chuck (or two). I really wish I'd learned that way. There are times that trying to use a chuck takes more time and effort than the traditional method.

Alex Zeller
08-18-2020, 7:13 AM
I bought a Vicmarc as my first chuck so I can't comment on the others. A chuck is an investment. Once you pick a brand you are going to end up with jaws that fit it. Over time you will get a collection and if you really get into turning you may even buy a second chuck to reduce the time spent swapping jaws. Or you might want two different sized chucks. So look at what accessories are available. Most have similar options but might be just different enough to make a difference. I want with the Vicmarc (120 I think) because I didn't want something 10 or 20 years from now that would no longer hold a piece securely. I felt from those who praise it that the Vicmarc was the best bet. But I have been known to buy premium stuff when I really didn't need it.

Larry Frank
08-18-2020, 7:14 AM
I turn mostly smaller things and have the Nova G3 with several sets of jaws. They work great and reasonably priced.

tom lucas
08-18-2020, 8:12 AM
I have one each supernova2 and titan chucks from Nova, and a vicmarc vm120. The Vic has nicer jaws and operates flawlessly. But it's a big chuck, as is the titan which is also very nice. The SN2 is a good balance in size. Small enough for smaller lathes yet big enough for some pretty large projects. Hard to go wrong with any from vicmarc, oneway, nova, record. I would suggest get one of these brands that is the best buy and stick with the brand so that the jaws are interchangeable.

I would also only buy ones with a grub screw for running in reverse. My vic does not (direct thread) and I have to watch it or it'll spin off while sanding in reverse.

Paul Heely
08-18-2020, 8:22 AM
I have owned Nova and OneWay chucks, and currently only have Vicmarcs. All of the chucks I've owned held a piece of wood and I never had a failure or piece come off one due to an inherent issue with the chuck. I finally settled on Vicmarc for a couple of reasons. First, I HATE the chuck key on the OneWay and Nova chucks. It just plain annoys me trying to get the key in place. Since turning is suppose to be relaxing, I eliminate as many annoying things as I can from the process. I also like that the Vicmarcs can also use a standard allen wrench. I find this useful when I turn a recess inside a dry, but unfinished, bowl blank and mount it by expanding the chuck inside the recess inside the bowl. Sometimes the bowl is deep enough that it gets in the way of a long chuck key. I do prefer dovetail jaws, those are available for most chucks. I would suggest putting hands on as many different types of chucks as possible, as you may find one just works better for you.

I'll also echo what David said. You can do an awful lot of work without using a chuck. I've take classes several times from David Ellsworth, and unless he's changed his methods he uses a lot of face plates. Also my last weekend with him I was working on hollow forms and used nothing but a face plate and then a glue block while hollowing.

terry mccammon
08-18-2020, 12:39 PM
Every time this sort of thing comes up, I always have to put in a pitch for the Hurricane chuck line. I have several, use the heck out of them and they have held up very well. And they are cheaper.

Thomas Wilson80
08-18-2020, 2:17 PM
I started with a Oneway Talon and hated the key they use (it never seemed to fit right or turn smooth). I later bought a SuperNova2 chuck and love it (I've since bought 5 more SN2s and 1 Nova Titan) and in the 2 years I've been using Novas, I've never had an issue and I think they are the best bang for the buck.

I usually buy from toolsplus.com (https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-23099.html) and for $177you get the SN2 with a lot of accessories. That's the best price I've been able to find.

Tom

Robert Henrickson
08-18-2020, 6:15 PM
One possible consideration -- Nova jaws fit on any Nova chuck. I regularly use both G3s and Supernova. They work fine, although the toothed key for the G3 can be quite annoying. The SN2 uses a hex key. I would advise the SN2 over the G3, unless you have a small (mini) lathe.

I also have a Oneway Stronghold -- it's great and has been through over 10 years of heavy use. I have no problem with the chuck key. Oneway jaws, however, are specific to a given chuck -- Stronghold jaws work only on the Stronghold. Other Oneway chucks require their own jaws. I have little experience with other chucks.

John K Jordan
08-18-2020, 11:06 PM
I have a Nova Lathe 1624 with a 1-1/4”-8 spindle thread. While I’ve had the large for many years I’ve not turned much but I’m back into woodworking and I’d like to get a chuck for it. I’d like something that I could use for gripping some smaller square and round stock as well as use to learn on bowls and such.
I’m ok with paying for good quality and prefer to spend more now rather than replacing a beginner chuck later.
What are your recommendations for a good chuck?

This question usually gets as many recommendations are there are chucks. Almost any will work.

I like chucks with all the jaws interchangeable. I started out with Nova and stuck with them. I have 20 now, just bought another. (I hate to change jaws and like to have several chucks with the same jaws.) I love the Supernova2 chucks and would recommend them.

The Nova keys for the Supernova are the worst in the business. The keys for the G3 are a little better. The hex keys for the Supernova2 and Titan are wonderful. I recommend cutting off the ball on the end - it's not needed and can cause certain problems.

JKJ

Kyle Iwamoto
08-19-2020, 1:10 AM
l. I recommend cutting off the ball on the end - it's not needed and can cause certain problems.

JKJ

+1 to this. After your suggestion I did just that. It's also a standard hex key size so in the event that you lose it, no problem. Unlike the G3. I lost my key so I HAD to buy another one since the key costs a lot... I'm not up to JKJ's quantity though. I think I only have 7 Nova chucks. As mentioned, all the modern Nova jaws fit all the chucks. I think the really old ones may not.

To repeat what many have said, any of the brand name chucks above will serve a lifetime. Can't go wrong with any of them. By this I mean don't cheap out and try to save money on a no name brand.
I have bought 2 chucks that are not named above and am not happy with them.

Eric Arnsdorff
08-19-2020, 11:07 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. I have read and reviewed each of the posts and chucks.
The good news is it looks like there are a number of good quality wood lathe chucks on the market.
Since my lathe is a Nova lathe and there are good reviews of the Nova chucks including the universal jaws for the Nova chucks the Supernova 2 looks like a great option and appears economical.
The other chuck that has my attention is the Easy Chuck. The cost appears high but in terms of some woodworking equipment isn't a crazy cost.

The question I have is why would anyone own so many chucks outside of a production shop with many lathes and turners?

My reasoning on the Easy Chuck is that I could quickly change jaws without buying and/or switching chucks. This seems to pay for itself without needing to buy another chuck and jaws due to the task of changing jaws.
I'm new to using chucks so there is likely a logical reason.

FWIW - I have had this lathe for over 20 years and used the faceplate and centers and such. Most of the turnings I've done were years ago but I'm not completely new to turning. However, I haven't used it much in a number of years due to life's priorities. Now that I'm a bit older I'm getting back to woodworking and really am enjoying it. While I'm not a complete newbie to turning, I am still a novice in general.

David Walser
08-20-2020, 12:18 AM

The question I have is why would anyone own so many chucks outside of a production shop with many lathes and turners?

My reasoning on the Easy Chuck is that I could quickly change jaws without buying and/or switching chucks. This seems to pay for itself without needing to buy another chuck and jaws due to the task of changing jaws.
I'm new to using chucks so there is likely a logical reason.

One of the reasons to have more than one chuck, rather than using quick change jaws, is that it can be very difficult to remount something back into the chuck without the center moving. Sometimes that's not a concern. Other times, it can be a big concern. For example, say you're making a lidded box and have just fit the lid. Say you need to remove the box from the chuck (to work on another project or for some other reason) and, when you remount the box, the center has shifted ever so slightly. Even if the center shifted only 1/64", that might require you to turn your tenon down (as much as) an additional 1/32". Your perfect fitting lid just became sloppy. So, many of us simply keep the project mounted in the chuck until we're finished with the project. (I probably have at least three projects in various stages of completion, all mounted to a chuck or faceplate, right now.)

Depending on what you turn and how your work flows, this may or may not be an issue for you. It would be for me.

You'll be happy with whichever 'name brand' chuck you settle on. The Nova chucks are fine. I think the Record Power is just a little nicer in terms of fit and finish, but it's not a big deal. If you do go with Nova, note that the Record Power and Sorby Patriot chuck jaws fit the Nova chucks and vice versa.

John K Jordan
08-20-2020, 12:27 AM

Good question. I have several reasons.

1. I have way too much money to get rid of. (Just kidding, scratch that and start over!) Some people buy lottery tickets and lots of beer - I buy chucks. Actually, some of my chucks I bought used for cheap or for trade. For most of the others I just kept my eyes open for a good deal. One was given to me by a friend.

- I hate to change jaws. No, I REALLY hate to change jaws. I'd rather have a chuck dedicated to a particular set of jaws.

- I like to have several chucks mounted with duplicates of the jaws I use the most - for example pin jaws, 35mm jaws, 45mm jaws, and 50mm jaws. I think I have four or five chucks with 50mm jaws mounted.

- I often have several projects in progress and leave a project in a chuck while I work on something else. If a piece is removed from a chuck, it is often difficult to register it precisely when remounting due to the nature of wood. Extra chucks? - just leave it mounted. I've had one project on my shelf for a year now - still in the chuck. I'll get back to finishing it any day now...

- Some operations can benefit from multiple chucks. For example, keep the base of a bowl in the chuck while turning a jam chuck from a block of wood held by a second chuck, then mount the first chuck on a tailstock adapter while jamming (and taping) for perfect registration the first try.

- When doing demos, I sometimes have several pieces in various stages of completion, each in a chuck. This lets me switch to another stage without boring everyone with all the finish cuts on the first one. Also, I sometimes have a piece turned entirely with the finish cuts and leave it in the chuck so I can demonstrate smoothing with negative rake scrapers and by hand. Leaving it mounted avoids any registration problems from remounting and the need to make additional finish cuts before the smoothing.

- I sometimes use multiple chucks for different parts of the same project. For a recent project I left a test piece mounted in one chuck that I returned to a couple of times to try some ideas. The project was mounted in another chuck to turn and drill a center hole. I used a third chuck (with different jaws) to hold a piece of wood to turn a mandrel to jam hold the finished piece to clean up the bottom.

- I have a special set of pin jaws on one chuck that I turned down to a precise size for a special application. If I remove and remount those jaws lather, especially on a different chuck, I may lose some of the precision so I keep them in the same chuck. (Did you know you can easily turn steel chuck jaws with woodturning tools?)

- I have two lathes set up in the shop at all times. Sometimes I'll have a project in progress on one lathe and take a break and work on a different project at the other lathe and just leave the first setup as is. For example, when set up with a sphere jig or threading jig I don't want to tear down the setup. An extra chuck makes this easier to do something on the second lathe.

- I am slowly buying new Supernova2 chucks as I find them on sale to replace some older Supernova chucks (the ones with the horrible chuck keys). I may end up selling or giving away some of the older chucks.

- I have four chucks loaned out at the moment to students and friends. I probably wouldn't do this if I didn't have extra chucks on hand!

- One chuck is a Nova Titan with large jaws. I don't often do big work but when I do it is nice to have this chuck on hand.

- I sometimes have a student or two. It is useful to leave a project in a chuck when a student can't return to finish until a few days or a week later. Once I had two students and hauled in a third lathe to demonstrate. Extra chucks make all this easier.

The turning alcove of my shop with a couple of students.

JKJ

Paul Heely
08-20-2020, 7:54 AM

I have a couple of reasons why I have multiple chucks. I'm not quite as bad as some, but I'm working on it. I have 7 VM120s, with all the different size dovetail jaws and 3 VM100s with shark jaws. For me there are two main reasons for multiple chucks. First, I am very fortunate and tend to have more money than time when it comes to my hobbies, so when I find I "need" a new pair of jaws for a project I'm planning, I tend to just buy another chuck with those jaws. Second, I HATE changing jaws. I understand it's not hard, but it's one of those little annoyances for me and I try and eliminate as much annoyance as possible from my hobbies. I leave the annoying stuff for work.

That all said, I did not start out buying 10 different chucks, just in case. Over the course of years I've added to my collection as I saw a need. Don't feel rushed to buy lots of different chucks. Start with a basic chuck and set of jaws, I think the Easy Chuck is a solid choice, and then add to the collection as your needs dictate.

Joe Bradshaw
08-20-2020, 8:34 AM
I'm in the multiple chuck camp. I have four chucks for each of my lathes(40. My chucks are Oneway. I like two with the number two jaws, one with the spigot jaws and one with number three jaws. As JKJ said, I like to keep a piece on the chuck as long as possible.
Joe

Bernie Kopfer
08-20-2020, 11:20 AM
I have a couple of Nova super2 chucks and they work great and go on sale occasionally. Once you start using chucks the convenience will overcome your desire to do it the old fashioned ways.

Robert Henrickson
08-20-2020, 12:45 PM
Although I haven't checked the price of the Easy Chuck for a long time, you used to be able essentially to buy two Nova chucks for the price of one Easy Chuck. You certainly can get a Nova and a couple jaw sets for the same price as the Easy Chuck alone. It doesn't take much time to change jaws. I have to admit I'm one of the multiple chuck people, although only one chuck has a set of 50 mm jaws mounted. I have a number of Nova 50 mm jaw sets put away, most never used --they came with the chucks.

John K Jordan
08-20-2020, 1:09 PM
...I have a number of Nova 50 mm jaw sets put away, most never used --they came with the chucks.

Yes, I have a box of those too! It's the one size jaws you can't even give away, unless someone has damaged theirs. I wish Nova would sell the chuck body with no jaws at a discount.

Mike Peace
08-20-2020, 6:01 PM
A lot of good advice here. I am in the multiple chuck camp. If you want a visual overview of the same content you might want to watch this video I did recently
https://youtu.be/mfZCJYLIAfw

William C Rogers
08-21-2020, 9:56 AM
Ok it's time for someone not in the multiple chuck camp. I went down that route and at one time had 4 Nova 2s, one Nova G3, two Record Power, Hurricane 125, Barracuda 2 (first chuck 15 years ago). I had bought the Axminister eccentric adapter, but it never really fit the Nova or Record chucks. I ended up buying the Axminister SK100 chuck with their “C” jaws (~70mm) mainly for that purpose. I liked the Axminister so much I bought the SK114 and a set of O’Donnell jaws. Now I had 11 chucks! I ended up selling all the Nova and Record chucks because I really didn’t need them or the jaws on them. I bought a set of 4” bowl jaws for the Axminister SK114. I kept the Hurricane because I felt it is better than the others. If I need another set of jaws, with the Axminister chucks you just crank out one set and crank in the other, no screws to mess with. The Axminister are direct thread and the Hurricane is a taper insert that is better than a threaded insert IMO. I have found the O’Donnell jaws takes the place of many other jaws, so I don’t need a collection of chucks. I can use any set of jaws on either Axminister chuck, but keep the C jaws SK 100 and switch the 4” jaws and O’donnell jaws on the SK 114. The Hurricane is for when I need that second bowl chuck and I have a worm screw for that chuck. The Barracuda 2 lives on the mini lathe.

Eric Arnsdorff
08-21-2020, 9:57 PM
Thanks again!! I haven't had time to make my purchase recently but thought I had decided on one.

Mike Peace that's a very helpful video!

Based on most responses indicating having multiple chucks I was thinking of going with the Record chuck from my local Woodcraft over the Easy Chuck. I don't know if I will need multiple chucks but at half the cost of the Easy Chuck it makes it more feasible to buy another.

William Rogers you brought a new perspective. The Axminster looks like a great chuck and the O'Donnell jaws look like a good option. The Easy Chuck comes back to mind for a single chuck though with quick change jaws.

I think my problem now is too many good options. That's not the worst thing.

William C Rogers
08-22-2020, 8:53 PM
Eric, Here is information in regards to Axminister chucks. I have two, a SK100 and a SK114. The SK114 is the larger of the two. Mostly all the jaws are interchangeable between the two chucks. However when purchased the SK114 comes with jaw slides are longer than the SK100 jaw slides. Those slides are specific to the SK114. However the SK100 jaw slides also can be used in the SK114 chuck. You need to buy a set of jaw slides for each jaw set and that is extra cost. I only buy the jaw slides that fit both chucks. You initially mount the jaws on the slides and they stay mounted. When you want to change jaws you crank out the jaws to remove and then crank in the new set. I can do this in about 20 seconds. The SK100 chuck uses a drill chuck type key that is a bit odd, but I haven’t had any problem with it. The SK114 uses a square key that I prefer. Both chucks have three tightening points instead of two and 3 set screws for reverse turning (I never use). The SK100 has available a spanner wrench for removal, but the SK114 doesn’t have a removal feature other than the key. I had an old spanner wrench that fit that I use. Both chucks are direct thread that I prefer because of less tolerance stack up. Both have a stainless steel body, but other components are not stainless steel. I bought the O’Donnell jaws that have the inserts for various sizes. It takes a total of 4 screws to install the inserts. These jaws are the best I have found for holding square wood blanks. One thing I noticed right away is the dovetail is not very deep less than 1/4”, but I haven’t had any holding problems. I would recommend the SK114 chuck mainly because it is a little bigger and the square key. I hope this gives you enough information for comparison to the chucks you are considering.
I started buying an Arsenal of chucks, buying the Nova and Record chucks because the jaws were interchangeable. Most were mainly a luxury with special jaws. It became a storage problem in addition to the $$ just sitting. The three chucks I mainly use are all I need and could get by with two.

Eric Arnsdorff
08-26-2020, 9:27 PM
Thanks William! I debated between the Axminster and the Easy Chuck. That Axminster chuck looks very well made and easy to change the jaws.
I have ordered an Easy Chuck so we'll see how this goes. It isn't cheap but the zoom ring and clip look good to me.

This is my first chuck and I don't presently see me having multiple chucks. That may change in the future but I'm hoping the features of the Easy Chuck will suit my needs.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Brian Deakin
08-29-2020, 9:35 AM
I do not know if this product is available in the USA

Axminster tools have produced a new package

Please see link below
https://www.axminstertools.com/instantsearch/result?q=sk114%20package

Please note it may be of interest the one of the internal profiles of the C jaws is not a dovetail
https://www.axminstertools.com/type-c-114mm-dovetail-jaws-502734

Please view detailed image on page