PDA

View Full Version : Purple Haze #2

Keith Burns
12-30-2005, 9:01 PM
This is my second and last in this mini series. A couple of firsts for me. The first HF of this style and the first colar. Walls about 1/4". This one is 6-1/2" dia. x 2-3/4" tall. Deft spray finish. Purpleheart collar. Not as purple as I'd hoped. Think maybe it shoild have been aspen. Thanks for looking and for your good or bad comments.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-30-2005, 9:09 PM
Great Stuff, Kieth!

Bruce

Frank Chaffee
12-30-2005, 9:11 PM
Keith,
That is an astoundingly beautiful hollow form in so many ways. I can well understand if its home has already been determined, but if it has not then please PM me as I would very much like to hold it in my own home.

At first I was a bit miffed when I saw I had clicked on a Turners Forum post rather than a classified post, but the beauty of the bowl cured me right away.

Frank

Jim Ketron
12-30-2005, 9:23 PM
Simply Beautiful!
enough said!;)

Travis Stinson
Oh YEAH! That is fantastic Keith. The colors make it look alive. Super job!:D

Dick Parr
Wow, that is really beautiful Keith. Everything about it is nice. Wonderful job;)

Joe Tonich
12-30-2005, 9:26 PM
That is SWEET!!! :D :D

Ya sure did that wild lookin wood proud! :cool:

Joe

Andy Hoyt
12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
As Bruce would say, " Faaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutt"

Bill Stevener
12-30-2005, 10:25 PM
Keith, that is one unique turning. One thing you can say, there will never be another one like it.
Mitty fine work.

I thought about cultivating some chemical around a couple of trees in the wood lot, but I wondered if I would ever see them get big enough. Then I thought, if I stay with the minnie's that just might work. :cool:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Well you certainly got that form down the first time. Really smooth Keith and you caught that grain just right.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Keith what a beautiful bowl. Great job. Wow.

John Hart
12-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Ya know...it's interesting Keith...The purpleheart collar is a stark contrast with the pastel of the form...but, because of that, it looks like the collar is floating in purple clouds (haze). Man! You sure captured a concept! Beautiful piece!!!!!!

Mark Cothren
12-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Fan-tas-tic! Just fantastic...

Thanks for the pictures!

Pat Salter
12-31-2005, 1:05 AM
Wasn't there a band named Purple Haze for a while?

Lovely, just lovely pieces.

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2005, 1:57 AM
Ooooo-weeeee!!!! I LIKE that one Keith!!!! Simply BEAUTIMUS!!!!!!:D

Gary DeWitt
12-31-2005, 3:05 AM
Keith, that is a fantastic HF. Color and shape just GO together. Purpleheart is more brown when you first cut it. Either light or air make it more purple for a while, then it darkens again. I'm not sure which causes the reaction.

Pat, that was a drug in the late 60s, LSD. This particular batch was made famous by Jimmy Hendrix in a song of the same name. Probably where you got the idea from. Don't sweat it, you're not old enough to remember. Then again, some of us who are don't anyway...

Frank Chaffee
12-31-2005, 3:38 AM
Gary,
:) What was that you said?
Frank

Keith Burns
12-31-2005, 3:18 PM
Gary, Andy named this mini-series.

Thanks guys for all your kind words. Ya'all always provide so much encouragement to do better and different things.

Thanks again

Frank Chaffee
01-05-2006, 3:11 PM
Keith,
Paypal completed.

I look forward to seeing this fine form when I visit LOML in Arizona in February.

Wow, this is the first Purple Haze I’ve gotten since.....uh.....well.....I can’t remember exactly right now.....but,.....oh well, never mind.

Thanks Keith,
Frank

Rob Bourgeois
01-05-2006, 3:30 PM
There is a beer called Purple Haze. Its made down in Louisiana. Pretty good too. www.abita.com

I missed this the first time around. I like the contrast in the "purples". It will be cool to see how the aging of the purple heart changes the bowls appearance.

Frank Chaffee
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Rob,
I know that this may sound very selfish in light of the misfortunes of so many in New Orleans recently, but every night I cry my eyes out knowing that the Absinthe cellar where Edgar Allan Poe and I have always gotten together three times a century is now destroyed.
Frank (Dorian) Chaffee