PDA

View Full Version : Anyone building anything?

Pages : [1] 2

Christopher Charles
08-17-2020, 5:09 PM
Hi all,

Me, not so much :) ....It is high summer here, so I have been letting several long languishing projects languish (a NBSS tool chest and a jewelry box). The good news is I'm nearly done with the shop refurb. I've been told that I have a 'wood problem' to which i've always replied that I simply have a storage problem. A big part of the summer has been an effort to fix my problem as part of the refurb, with some level of success:

For better or worse, I still have a pile of a couple hundred bf that I'll have to still keep under tin and tarps...maybe I do have a problem.

Yesterday, I was also able to help my friend with his slab roubo project. He scored a massive ~34"x5"x8' red oak slab from a mutual friend for his top, which migrated to my house right before covid. The slab had the pith in the middle, so we cut into two sections when we picked it up using a combination of circular saw and rip saw. We were able to cut the two slabs close to final width yesterday on the bandsaw.

I'll post some shots of the new shop soon, I promise..

Have fun and stay safe out there!

Chris

mike stenson
08-17-2020, 5:15 PM
I'm still working on getting my shop sorted. Still shuffling things around, and right now more importantly.. stalled on installing insulation because (irony) it's too hot in there. Although I did get a barn fan, that'll help and this weekend I replaced my (now broken) saw vise.. so I suppose I did make a mounting bracket for the new one. I cheated, and used power tools to make the mount because well.. plywood, but it does work so much better than my last saw vise, and I finally got one mounted at the right height.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-32KCRfc/0/dac42169/L/i-32KCRfc-L.jpg

Christopher Charles
08-17-2020, 6:19 PM
The saw vise looks like a great upgrade. You'll be glad to get the insulation done-I insulated and it has made a huge difference as my shop has two west-facing garage doors.

Erich Weidner
08-17-2020, 7:35 PM
My shop is my 2 car garage, and though I can use the whole space for projects, of which I can only permanently use half of. Lumber storage is a big problem right now.

It never occurred to me to store in an out building. My yard is a tiny suburban lot with 5' of side yard, but there is enough room in the back... an interesting idea (albeit a 100+ foot hike to retrieve boards... and I was going to do a BBQ covered area there... decisions decisions...

Mike Allen1010
08-17-2020, 8:08 PM
Hi all,

Me, not so much :) ....It is high summer here, so I have been letting several long languishing projects languish (a NBSS tool chest and a jewelry box). The good news is I'm nearly done with the shop refurb. I've been told that I have a 'wood problem' to which i've always replied that I simply have a storage problem. A big part of the summer has been an effort to fix my problem as part of the refurb, with some level of success:

For better or worse, I still have a pile of a couple hundred bf that I'll have to still keep under tin and tarps...maybe I do have a problem.

Yesterday, I was also able to help my friend with his slab roubo project. He scored a massive ~34"x5"x8' red oak slab from a mutual friend for his top, which migrated to my house right before covid. The slab had the pith in the middle, so we cut into two sections when we picked it up using a combination of circular saw and rip saw. We were able to cut the two slabs close to final width yesterday on the bandsaw.

I'll post some shots of the new shop soon, I promise..

Have fun and stay safe out there!

Chris

Chris, congrats on the shop rehab and the new wood storage!! I'm jealous of your lumber stash- is that rough sawn from local trees? I'm not exactly sure what those are but I've read about them in books here in the hardwood desert of So. Cal.

Cheers, Mike

Gary Focht
08-17-2020, 8:19 PM
I built my son a Shaker writing desk for graduate school. Threw it together quickly out of poplar and stained it. Used Charles Neil pre-stain conditioner and General Finishes medium brown dye stain. It looks great to me. Might use poplar more.

Should not have used poplar for draw bore pins.

Picture isn’t the best, but I hadn’t planned on posting.

steven c newman
08-17-2020, 8:50 PM
Was building all year....until I ran out of lumber to build with....may start back up this fall....

Phil Mueller
08-18-2020, 12:22 AM
Finishing up a reclaimed pine siding hall table for friends. Finally the lumber folks opened for walk in business and was able to score some lumber for legs for a table that has been on hold since April. A co-worker brought in a basket case oak circular “antique” table he’s asked me to work on. Top is split, dowels that connect legs to shelf are broken, horrible orangish stain...frankly, not worth fixing, but it has sentimental value to him. Gonna be a challenge, and I gave him no guarantees...so yeah, a few projects.

Jeff Ranck
08-18-2020, 9:43 AM
Hi all,

Chris

Hey, I have an Aggazzani bandsaw. Love that thing. Too bad they went out of business. I'm having fits finding parts.

Daniel Culotta
08-18-2020, 11:31 AM
Finished up a little outdoor side table for the deck recently (I'm aware of the irony that these pictures are indoors). Made from scraps from a cedar fence project, felt good to use offcuts destined for the compost heap to make something useful spur-of-the moment. Also felt good being the first project that I used all unplugged hand tools except for hitting the top with a ROS before finishing. I usually justify firing up the table saw, chop saw, router, etc. for some part of a build, but resisted this time and am glad I did. A bandsaw would have been nice though, probably one of those in my future...

Cedar was interesting - so soft that you can almost rip it with a good karate chop, but also dents if you look at it wrong.

(Sorry for the meh photos, snapped them as an afterthought.)

439259 439260

Josh Robinson
08-18-2020, 4:47 PM
Just finished a small end table for my wife. It’s a take on a CS piece. First shot I tried a sliding dovetail to house the runners but gave up, the top is some very curly maple and it was a slog removing the waste and I messed up the first one so I ended up gluing and screwing the runners to the underside. I liked it better left natural but she wanted darker so....

Phil Gaudio
08-18-2020, 5:57 PM
A hunt board currently in production:

https://i.postimg.cc/LXw6LTMD/fullsizeoutput-fe.jpg (https://postimg.cc/62VXNCq4)
https://i.postimg.cc/d1LVhfgD/nb-FS6-We-Rj-SR7-Q9-F-fo-U7w.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

ken hatch
08-18-2020, 8:07 PM
Chris,

I wish I were building something. Ever since I tried to kick an attacking Pit Bull through the goal posts of life a couple of months ago my right wheel isn't allowing me to walk or stand for more than a minute or so. The sum total of my shop time is some clean up and a little work on the sharpening bench.

There are plans, once I can work I'm replacing all the shop wall storage with new cabinets that hopefully reflect that I'm a woodworker and not a total hack.

ken

Erich Weidner
08-18-2020, 8:44 PM
Chris,

Ever since I tried to kick an attacking Pit Bull through the goal posts of life a couple of months ago my right wheel isn't allowing me to walk or stand for more than a minute or so.

Damn, Ken! This is not a metaphor, but an actual pit bull? I hope you sent it to the garbage heap in the sky. (Or the police did).

ken hatch
08-18-2020, 9:11 PM
Damn, Ken! This is not a metaphor, but an actual pit bull? I hope you sent it to the garbage heap in the sky. (Or the police did).

Erich,

Not a metaphor, he was attaching Sweet Maggie Dog (my aviator). The week before I had kicked the bed post with my right foot by accident and jammed the second toe, so I was limping at the time. Without thinking I kicked the Pit Bull with my right foot. The Pit Bull flew about 20 or so feet in the air, landed and ran off. Then a few moments later he returned, crawling on his belly and totally submissive. Which was all well and good but I couldn't walk for the rest of the time we were in Oregon. To top it off after returning to Tucson and about the time the toe was healing I fell and twisted my right ankle. Bottom line I've been unable to walk for almost two months.

All that is one of the reasons I've spent so much time on SMC, I can't do much else.

ken

Erich Weidner
08-18-2020, 9:37 PM
Erich,
Bottom line I've been unable to walk for almost two months.

All that is one of the reasons I've spent so much time on SMC, I can't do much else.

So sorry to hear that. Hopefully it is improving.

ken hatch
08-18-2020, 9:48 PM
So sorry to hear that. Hopefully it is improving.

Erich,

Thanks, and I know TMI but there is a reason I'm not in the shop and building. Doesn't happen often and yes it is improving.

ken

Zach Dillinger
08-19-2020, 9:23 AM
I started building a small shed roof addition to my woodshop. It was going to just be a porch at first (hence the slightly odd framing) but I decided to wall it in. Just 8x12 but it doubles my floor space and will be easier and cheaper to heat all winter.

Bill Carey
08-19-2020, 9:32 AM
working on a pair of morris chairs. Man, these things are gonna be heavy.

steven c newman
08-19-2020, 10:04 AM
Until more lumber arrives...this was the last project built this year..

Just a tool chest...
And I had to resaw what scraps I had left to build it...

mike stenson
08-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Erich,

Thanks, and I know TMI but there is a reason I'm not in the shop and building. Doesn't happen often and yes it is improving.

ken

Wow Ken, glad to hear you're on the mend. I hate some dog owners

Matt Lau
08-19-2020, 4:37 PM
Erich,

Not a metaphor, he was attaching Sweet Maggie Dog (my aviator). The week before I had kicked the bed post with my right foot by accident and jammed the second toe, so I was limping at the time. Without thinking I kicked the Pit Bull with my right foot. The Pit Bull flew about 20 or so feet in the air, landed and ran off. Then a few moments later he returned, crawling on his belly and totally submissive. Which was all well and good but I couldn't walk for the rest of the time we were in Oregon. To top it off after returning to Tucson and about the time the toe was healing I fell and twisted my right ankle. Bottom line I've been unable to walk for almost two months.

ken

Hey Ken,

Let me know if you want kicking lessons.....yes, there's an art to it.

-Matt

ken hatch
08-19-2020, 7:18 PM
Wow Ken, glad to hear you're on the mend. I hate some dog owners

Mike,

I need another week or two to be back near 100%. I agree it is not the dogs fault, they just act as trained.

ken

ken hatch
08-19-2020, 7:20 PM
Hey Ken,

Let me know if you want kicking lessons.....yes, there's an art to it.

-Matt

Matt,

I think I learned the first lesson, don't kick with a foot that is already injured :p .

ken

James Pallas
08-20-2020, 10:52 AM
This is what I’m working on. My proof of concept on top. Still have much to do. All hard maple. Hoping it will punch far above its weight.

ken hatch
08-22-2020, 10:02 AM
I'm giving a check ride today, if it does not run long I'll stop by the local woodstore and pick the first load of Alder for the new shop cabinets and start prep and layout Sunday. If it runs long, then it will be Monday before I can get the wood. Anyway within the next few days I will start on changing out the shop's cabinets. I expect it will be a PITA with pulling the old ones off, finding somewhere to store all the stuff and fitting the new cabinets into the available space. BTW, the tool trays may become more than dust and shaven catchers for awhile.

It will be good to get back in the shop doing something other than pushing iron around on stones.

ken

glenn bradley
08-22-2020, 11:52 AM
City delays are giving me lots of time to build more dreams into my as-yet-to-be-erected shop . . . does that count?

Tony Wilkins
08-22-2020, 1:35 PM
City delays are giving me lots of time to build more dreams into my as-yet-to-be-erected shop . . . does that count?

My long awaited shop should be finished this week and then several projects will get finished, fingers crossed.

Jim Koepke
08-22-2020, 3:46 PM

A lot of work develops from dreams. A lot of my time on projects is spent in contemplative mode.

One recent project to fill up some spare time was to find a neater way two stow my plumb bobs. Now one of them has its holder:

The opening was cut with a forsner bit closely matching the diameter of the bob:

One down, one to go.

There are also a couple of other projects going on. The tomatoes are getting ripe so that takes precedence.

jtk

Richard Hutchings
08-26-2020, 10:05 AM
I don't know if this counts but I'm recycling some old furniture, an oak dresser and maple desk. The boards I'm getting are 13/16" thick and fairly wide. The desk is solid maple but wasn't designed for today's computer chairs so it will become stock for shop projects and secondary wood. The oak dresser supplied me with enough aged oak to build a simple desk. I'm still working on disassembling but will start the desk pretty soon I think. I posted the design beginnings in the design forum but may as well post it here as well.

I took the height from my work desk. It doesn't leave much stock for the drawer. My question for you furniture builders is, can I cut a center section from the apron and add a drawer? Can I make the desk a little taller and the apron wider?

Gary Focht
08-26-2020, 10:30 AM
Richard, Fine Woodworking did a shaker writing desk and it answers some of your questions. Not sure if you can see without a subscription, but it was a desk built by Christian Becksvoort. He puts a drawer in a relatively shallow apron. The key was the drawer front was the full width of the apron. There was a drawer support frame attached to the front apron stubs at each leg that spanned the front of the desk.

His desk was 30” high with a 3-4” wide apron.

Richard Hutchings
08-26-2020, 11:03 AM
I like that idea. I could even maintain the curved bottom I think. Back to Sketchup. Thanks.

Derek Cohen
08-26-2020, 7:45 PM
I don't know if this counts but I'm recycling some old furniture, an oak dresser and maple desk. The boards I'm getting are 13/16" thick and fairly wide. The desk is solid maple but wasn't designed for today's computer chairs so it will become stock for shop projects and secondary wood. The oak dresser supplied me with enough aged oak to build a simple desk. I'm still working on disassembling but will start the desk pretty soon I think. I posted the design beginnings in the design forum but may as well post it here as well.

I took the height from my work desk. It doesn't leave much stock for the drawer. My question for you furniture builders is, can I cut a center section from the apron and add a drawer? Can I make the desk a little taller and the apron wider?

Richard, I posted a build here quite recently where there was a drawer inside a shallow apron.

The link to my website is here (scan down to Transformations): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html

There is a complete rundown of the construction.

https://i.postimg.cc/1RYHbcM3/10a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Keeton
08-27-2020, 11:18 AM
I am an infrequent poster these days. Most of my activity has been in the Turning forum and even then some years back. I did recently build a comb back Windsor that I posted a few months ago that some of you may have seen. That chair has led to three more that are in various stages of completion - another comb back, a fan back, and a sack back. I will complete them in that order, but here are pics of the piles of parts. The crest for the comb back is in the kiln, but it is completely carved. All the comb back spindles have been sized and the arm rail has been carved. The comb back seat is laid out, but I am waiting 2-3 weeks until the weather cools a bit. Saddling a seat is not an enjoyable task in 90* temps!

Left to right - sack back, fan back, and comb back.

ken hatch
08-28-2020, 7:10 AM
I am an infrequent poster these days. Most of my activity has been in the Turning forum and even then some years back. I did recently build a comb back Windsor that I posted a few months ago that some of you may have seen. That chair has led to three more that are in various stages of completion - another comb back, a fan back, and a sack back. I will complete them in that order, but here are pics of the piles of parts. The crest for the comb back is in the kiln, but it is completely carved. All the comb back spindles have been sized and the arm rail has been carved. The comb back seat is laid out, but I am waiting 2-3 weeks until the weather cools a bit. Saddling a seat is not an enjoyable task in 90* temps!

Left to right - sack back, fan back, and comb back.

John,

Building chairs is addictive, nice pile of parts. BTW, I wish for temps in the 90's :).

ken

Richard Hutchings
08-28-2020, 8:39 AM
John,

Building chairs is addictive, nice pile of parts. BTW, I wish for temps in the 90's :).

ken

I wish for those temps in January and when they arrive, I wish for January.

Jim Koepke
08-28-2020, 10:01 AM
John,

ken

That is understandable with today's forecast:

We haven't hit 100º around here for a couple of years. We have come close recently.

jtk

mike stenson
08-28-2020, 11:27 AM
John,

ken

This weekend! Then we'll be back to ~ 105º it seems. This summer has been, very hot.

Rick Erickson
08-28-2020, 4:27 PM
About to start a Dutch Tool Chest. Just getting back into woodworking after 7+ years off. Don't have a lot of hand tool storage space so the Dutch Tool Chest seems like the way to go.

Goodwin Heil
08-28-2020, 4:53 PM
My friend offered to help hang my air filtration unit so I had to build a safety cage around a skid. As I would be responsible for whoever was aloft, I kinda over engineered it.
It is not fancy, but it is certainly safe and strong. Every part interlocks with the other and the bottom is banded with aircraft cable with loops at the end which I thread chain through to hold it to the tractor.
& X 5/16 Lags hold it to the skid and a double 3/4 ply floor provides stability. Still needs paint!

Curt Putnam
08-28-2020, 7:38 PM
I'm giving a check ride today, if it does not run long I'll stop by the local woodstore and pick the first load of Alder for the new shop cabinets and start prep and layout Sunday. If it runs long, then it will be Monday before I can get the wood. Anyway within the next few days I will start on changing out the shop's cabinets. I expect it will be a PITA with pulling the old ones off, finding somewhere to store all the stuff and fitting the new cabinets into the available space. BTW, the tool trays may become more than dust and shaven catchers for awhile.

It will be good to get back in the shop doing something other than pushing iron around on stones.

ken

So Ken, is your shop air conditioned? Mine is not. If I do not get up at 0-dark-thirty, I just cannot work (and if I do, I cannot make any noise). The humidity we have recently had pretty much floored me. Cold spell coming - temps in lower 90s here for about 3 days. Of course, today was forecast to be lower 90s and it hit 100

ken hatch
08-28-2020, 7:54 PM
So Ken, is your shop air conditioned? Mine is not. If I do not get up at 0-dark-thirty, I just cannot work (and if I do, I cannot make any noise). The humidity we have recently had pretty much floored me. Cold spell coming - temps in lower 90s here for about 3 days. Of course, today was forecast to be lower 90s and it hit 100\

Curt,

I'm the same, no AC. I will usually work early AM and late afternoon this time of year. Sometimes SWMBO will fuss a little if I'm chopping something at 0300 and forget to close the door but most of the time no problem. Like Mike said above, this Summer has been a killer with temps remaining high after the sun goes down because of a long Monsoon.

ken

ken hatch
08-28-2020, 9:05 PM
This weekend! Then we'll be back to ~ 105º it seems. This summer has been, very hot.

Mike,

This is the first Summer I've contemplated moving back to Oregon. It takes a lot of heat to run this old desert rat off, this year may have done it, at least for the Summer.

ken

mike stenson
08-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Mike,

This is the first Summer I've contemplated moving back to Oregon. It takes a lot of heat to run this old desert rat off, this year may have done it, at least for the Summer.

ken

This is the worst summer I've been here for and I moved here in '95. It's been ridiculously hot, so I can't say I blame you. There have been days this summer when we've been able to tell it's hot out (by feel, let alone by the over-worked compressor and the puddle outside by the condenser drain that has been well loved by colorado river toads), sitting in our air-conditioned, adobe, house.

bill epstein
08-29-2020, 7:05 PM
Two projects concurrent now that they're both in the glue-dry/finish-dry/wait for better weather stage.

The chassis for an amplifier for which the finish is back on track now that I added a dozen drops of red mahogany to the amber shellac (the pic is pre Transtint, blah, isn't it?)

The other is done by request for those of you who poked fun at my concrete block speaker stands: Sandbox Stands. The plywood boxes now have their walnut veneer and are awaiting their solid cherry adornments which will raise them an additional 2 inches off the floor. Once the boxes are filled with sand the speakers will rest on a sheet of plywood over the sand that is separated from the box 1/2" all around.

Glass houses. Many of you guys obsess over grit and metallurgy, I, over the barely heard but audible.

mike stenson
08-29-2020, 7:28 PM
Bill,

Very nice. I've got a phono stage I've made that now needs a chassis, so that's going to happen fairly soon. I think you'll enjoy the stands.

Phil Mueller
08-29-2020, 8:10 PM
Bill, guilty as charged. The new stands are looking great!

ken hatch
08-29-2020, 8:31 PM
Does buying 60 BF of Alder count or do I have to saw some of it :).

Two things should come out the other end, a new kitchen trash container and at least one shop cabinet. The trash container will be first.

ken

Derek Cohen
08-29-2020, 9:05 PM
I am building a new router table ... the powered type ... :)

Okay, once done, I start on staked bar stools for the kitchen.

Regards from Perth

Derek

bill epstein
08-29-2020, 10:15 PM
Bill,

Very nice. I've got a phono stage I've made that now needs a chassis, so that's going to happen fairly soon. I think you'll enjoy the stands.

Interested to hear about your phono stage. Is it A2 or PM-V11? :D

Jim Koepke
08-30-2020, 1:41 AM
Does buying 60 BF of Alder count or do I have to saw some of it :p.

Got you beat on the Alder. Though mine was in pieces of 12" or less, sold by the yard and was tossed in the wood shed for heat this winter.

Though there was about a dozen or so pieces that looked very nice and are now on the wood rack in the shop.

jtk

Jeff Wittrock
08-30-2020, 12:05 PM
I just finished and finally delivered a walnut table I made for a past co-worker.
Style wise it is not a table I particularly care for nor would I make it for myself, but he and his wife had some specific ideas on what they wanted. They were both very happy with it.
I do admit that I liked both the leg stowage and leg mounting hardware I came up with.
It was enjoyable working on something where the walnut was payed for by someone else.

Now its time to clean up the garage and find a smaller project to work on.

Curt Putnam
08-30-2020, 7:55 PM
I am building a new router table ... the powered type ... :)

Okay, once done, I start on staked bar stools for the kitchen.

Regards from Pert

Derek

After being inundated with all the CS staked furniture for the last couple of years, I'll be anxious to see how you approach your stools. Got any innovations on mind for the router table?

Derek Cohen
08-31-2020, 3:42 AM
After being inundated with all the CS staked furniture for the last couple of years, I'll be anxious to see how you approach your stools. Got any innovations on mind for the router table?

Hi Curt

They are separate. One is just a router table integrated into the outfeed of my Hammer K3 slider (replacing the previous one). There is a longer story to this, and it involves building a SOTA router table fence, and putting together a serious router table (I do not plan to build another) with lift, etc for a small fraction of retail costs. I shall post detail once it is done. (ironically, I do not use a router table much, so this is a luxury .. and a challenge to build it for as little as possible without sacrificing quality).

The K3 came with this short outfeed ...

https://i.postimg.cc/wvCbm6vj/IMG-1157.jpg

This is the router table added in ...

https://i.postimg.cc/52jjNR2M/IMG_6227.jpg

I need to move the switch box inward.

Under the plate is a large Elu router hooked up to a Router Raizer and Muscle Chuck. Now to build the fence.

The stools are a three-legged design, and I post this as well at some stage.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thomas Wilson
08-31-2020, 8:46 AM
I just finished and finally delivered a walnut table I made for a past co-worker.
Style wise it is not a table I particularly care for nor would I make it for myself, but he and his wife had some specific ideas on what they wanted. They were both very happy with it.
I do admit that I liked both the leg stowage and leg mounting hardware I came up with.
It was enjoyable working on something where the walnut was payed for by someone else.

Now its time to clean up the garage and find a smaller project to work on.

I really like your reinforcement of the corners and the removable legs. Good work.

steven c newman
08-31-2020, 9:57 AM
Have recently built 2 items for the shop (so far) since building that Tool Chest...
Seems I bought a "new" grinder to replace the old one. Decided I didn't want to just toss it out, but set it up to polish and buff items. Needed a way to attach the grinder to the bench, and then put the grinder back on a shelf when not needed. Nothing fancy....a piece of 3/4" thick Pine Scrap, screwed to a piece of 3/4" plywood...
Then the old grinder screwed down to the plywood...
May add a strip of foam drawer liner to the cleat, so the bench doesn't "Vibe" as much. Just open the bench vise, sit the base's cleat into the vise, clamp it down. There is a power strip behind the bench (lights, bandsaw..)
Next....Seems an old Monarch 4" No. 215 Metalworkers' vise was sitting behind the sanding machine....in a bad spot ( sanding dust and grit piling up on it, not enough room to use the vise) Vise was my late FIL's Uncle's, bought new back in 1945, or so....been passed down to me. Wanted to keep it going. Un-hooked it from it's perch, cleaned the crud off....decided a shot of Rustoleum Black would be in order....while the paint dried.....Dug up a strip of 5/4 Ash ( seemed to be about the right size..) and cut another plywood base....3 screws to attach the base to the cleat...needed 3 holes through the base for the 3 bolts that attach the vise...
Had to "run" the vise all the way out..
To access the back bolt....vise is about a 50 pounder...and about as easy to carry around as a 50 pound bag of Dog Food. Seems stable enough...close it up, to make sure it cleared the bench's vise handle..
Ready for metal working, again.
Has a Lion's head logo, No. 215 Monarch....casting date stamp as 10-45...should be good to go until 2045?

mike stenson
08-31-2020, 10:28 AM
Not really 'building' per-se, but I finally reorganized things a bit. Got my a rack up for my track tires (now above the bicycles, that's a lot of floor space saved), added more over head lighting, and moved some more around.. but mostly got a 45º insert made for my tablesaw on Sunday (that's been on my to-do-list since the last one got grabbed by a puppy) so I got some French cleats up in the bench area.

Now, I just need to get something down on the floor, move the bench (and eventually put up some sheetrock on the wall to the right, but I have rough electrical to finish first).

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-pVLVHLr/0/c688a1b8/L/i-pVLVHLr-L.jpg

Steven Mikes
09-01-2020, 10:10 AM
It's been hot and humid this summer here, but have been making slow progress on bed frames for my 3 boys. I made the mistake of buying hickory when I went to the sawmill, the stuff feels like iron compared to pine. Really enjoying working on my new bench though.

ken hatch
09-01-2020, 11:19 PM
It's been hot and humid this summer here, but have been making slow progress on bed frames for my 3 boys. I made the mistake of buying hickory when I went to the sawmill, the stuff feels like iron compared to pine. Really enjoying working on my new bench though.

Steven,

Nice bench.

You have to be into S&M to work Hickory but it is pretty when finished. My kitchen cabinet's shelves are Hickory, nice but never again.

ken

Frederick Skelly
09-02-2020, 7:18 AM

Holy Moly Steven! What is that mallet in the second picture used for? Looks like a viking war hammer, or something to pound circus tent stakes? (Or you're a really big guy.) Darn nice bench though!

Christopher Charles
09-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the great thread and what a bunch of great work!

Mike, thanks-yes that's a stash of local air dried walnut :) I heard that air dried yucca works pretty well, but only with PMV-11.

Jeff, yes, a B-18 which I love. And I agree it is too bad they closed doors. I haven't had any issues with parts (fingers crossed)--what's gone wrong with yours?

Ken, hope you are full recovered!

Christopher Charles
09-02-2020, 1:11 PM
After a little over 2 years effort, I have the shop back together. Much tweaking to do, but this may be as clean as it ever gets.

The last big task for the shop will be an improvement to the floor as it is a far cry from level. But that will be a while.

And, though I'm still working on the sheds and other house projects, the LOML asked for a desktop for some metal legs she bought many years ago to use as an art table. I had a 12" x 3" x 5' slab of (horse?) chestnut that had been outside for a couple years and was given to me by a friend. I resawed and found that it is a bit of a blingly piece with some nice splating. Still need to flatten the bottom and finish, but really, really exciting to be getting back to some fine work after lots of carpentry, sheetrock, electrical, and painting!

Again, thanks to all for sharing your work and ideas.

Best,
Chris

Mel Fulks
09-02-2020, 1:34 PM
Ahhh, the obligatory purple yard sale chest ! Hey, good to see where good stuff happens! How thick is that really thick
bench top ?!

Christopher Charles
09-02-2020, 2:18 PM
Hey Mel,

Yeah, the dresser was one left in a house I was in grad school that we used as a changing station for one of my sons :)

My bench is 4" thick. The slab at the beginning of the thread is a bit over 5" !

ken hatch
09-02-2020, 5:19 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the great thread and what a bunch of great work!

Ken, hope you are full recovered!

Chris,

Thanks for asking, sad to say the answer is no, I'm still cripping around with just one good wheel. Which is the reason I haven't started on the shop cabinets yet.

Soon I hope,

ken

Ron Brese
09-03-2020, 9:27 AM
This is the time of year when I retreat into a climate controlled shop to escape the daily heat. Outdoor projects on hold until cooler weather.

I've been making awls and chisels. Chisel handles are Desert Ironwood. Awls are Olive and infused curly maple.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HdhFpMHPZ18/X1DtScByhEI/AAAAAAAAC7U/Jyt62sDVmCg2SISZakaYnkLZUA52dFVnQCLcBGAsYHQ/s1100/8%253A2chisels4-2.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JQdA8YoP3S0/X1DtSVQktXI/AAAAAAAAC7Q/5otrsPfjhaE30aihz12xw2VDAG2sbxfHACLcBGAsYHQ/s1100/8%253A2chisels%2Blone-1.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XsvGsGHh7xA/X0_5ZlxwCMI/AAAAAAAAC6M/LJCpuvhCwcYCN2r2s4QkAVI-9My5Rf_kACLcBGAsYHQ/s1100/8%253A2olive1edit.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bHHLAKHEtq4/X0_5kww3JSI/AAAAAAAAC6Y/hzxEadjva-UTHAEBI7q7WIK1Q3UZqzjKgCLcBGAsYHQ/s1100/8%253A2cm1edit.jpg

mike stenson
09-03-2020, 11:55 AM
I love the look and feel of desert ironwood Ron. It's simply gorgeous! I am, unfortunately, highly allergic to it, which is a shame.. it's cheap as chips in turning scrap boxes here.

Ron Brese
09-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Hey Mike,

I like to buy blanks that allow me to get all the handles for a set of chisels from the same piece. Unfortunately it's not "cheap as chips" that way.:)

I'm the same with cocobolo. Maybe not highly allergic but certainly have developed a sensitivity to it. If I work Cocobolo it requires suiting up and a downdraft table.

Ron

Steven Mikes
09-06-2020, 11:09 PM
Meet Mjolnir the mortising mallet! Hah kidding aside it's large even for me (I'm 6' 2" but medium build, not barrel chested). I rather like it though, the head is persimmon wood. Can be pretty gentle by just holding it close to the head.

ken hatch
09-07-2020, 5:24 AM
A few day ago I picked up 60BF of Alder to start redoing some of my shop cabinets. Yesterday I decided to repurpoise some the Alder to a kitchen trash can for MsBubba. Here are the blanks waiting to be cleaned up and glued into four panels.

This should be a quick build, glue up four panels, cut some rabbets, Glue and nail the panels together and finish with oil.

BTW, it was good to do something in the shop. It has been almost two months, I'm still gimping around on a bad wheel but it is well enough to do some work.

ken

steven c newman
09-07-2020, 9:51 AM
Waiting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month for the monthly check....then I can buy enough lumber to build the new case for all my tap & dies....

Old one is getting a bit ratty..
And will need to add a box full to the case..
Thinking Poplar instead of the usual Ash.....

mike stenson
09-07-2020, 3:16 PM
New space needs new storage, what l did bring from the old shop was spoiled by packrats. So now it's things in order of what's irritating me most.

Got more sheetrock up on Saturday, so now the bench area is pretty much ready to start building/hanging storage by the bench. Yesterday, while not hand tool specific, and since I do have a bunch or storage to build, I got the longer fence rail and an extension table built and installed on my tablesaw.

So today, I started on a saw till. I'm also fighting a fouling mouth on my old #7. I think I have it mostly solved.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-sWX2zkB/0/f09c20bc/XL/i-sWX2zkB-XL.jpg

BTW, Ken it's good to see you're back to working. It's nice to be back in the shop.

Tyler Bancroft
09-08-2020, 2:27 PM
Just finished a little bookcase and I've started on a new dining table - cherry top, maple trestle frame. I'm prepping all my rough-cut stock with hand planes, so it's a lengthy process, but a relaxing one.

Mike Hutchison
09-10-2020, 8:19 AM
440774Does a humble sawbuck count?
Repurposed lumber from a potting table that was not being used as such.
Got a chance to use it due to a squall that came through Sun. the 6th.
Better than trying to hold branch over a knee with one hand and
sawing with the other (and wondering why you're bleeding)

ken hatch
09-10-2020, 8:37 AM
New space needs new storage, what l did bring from the old shop was spoiled by packrats. So now it's things in order of what's irritating me most.

Got more sheetrock up on Saturday, so now the bench area is pretty much ready to start building/hanging storage by the bench. Yesterday, while not hand tool specific, and since I do have a bunch or storage to build, I got the longer fence rail and an extension table built and installed on my tablesaw.

So today, I started on a saw till. I'm also fighting a fouling mouth on my old #7. I think I have it mostly solved.

BTW, Ken it's good to see you're back to working. It's nice to be back in the shop.

Mike,

Thanks.

It looks like we are working on much the same kind of project. I'm in the panel glue up stage, combined with the day job it is going slowly.

ken

Richard Hutchings
09-10-2020, 9:04 AM
I have too many projects going at once. I think I need to build a plane til before I do anything else.

Ben Ellenberger
09-13-2020, 4:05 PM
I started a little bookshelf for a friend two months ago. I hadn’t done dovetails in cherry in over a year, so I struggled fitting them and ended up splitting both the side panels. I set the whole thing aside for a while, used butterflies to patch the splits, and just need a little sanding and wax to call it done.
it isn’t perfect, but I think she’ll like it. Also, since I’m a glutton for punishment I decided to make a little tool tote out of the excess cherry we got for this project and use it to learn how to do compound dovetails. Since I occasionally learn from my mistakes I’m making a little tray out of pine first to figure out the technique.

Also, I finally knocked up a clamp rack, so now I can buy more clamps.

Michael J Evans
09-14-2020, 12:06 PM
.... I built a saw till out of excess plywood I had laying and pocket holes (shh🤭). I've been moving plywood I've had for five years and was tired of all my saws in a pile. I forgot how quickly one can build something out of sheet goods and pocket holes.

mike stenson
09-14-2020, 12:21 PM
I made progress on my saw till.

Comments about the entire thing... the previous owner left a bunch of random cuts of doug fir when he left, along with some 4" wide rough hewn pine boards. My stupid self decided to use this found wood for this project. I say stupid because the fir was either rock hard (and seriously tough on the chisels and irons) or would warp and twist very shortly after it was dimensioned. I didn't quite get it together fast enough, so one side's a couple degrees out of square. Oh well, it's shop furniture and really was also a project to 'get back into it' after having tools packed away for a couple years.

It did let me use the 'new to me' #45 I have though, that was cool.. Oh and if Ken reads this... I did kind of enjoy sharpening all those irons, and yes.. it was all freehand after I ground them square and to a 30º bevel angle. That was my weekend, I hope everyone else also had some fun.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-NF3NXQ2/0/10bc0f24/L/i-NF3NXQ2-L.jpg

ken hatch
09-14-2020, 1:04 PM
I made progress on my saw till.

Comments about the entire thing... the previous owner left a bunch of random cuts of doug fir when he left, along with some 4" wide rough hewn pine boards. My stupid self decided to use this found wood for this project. I say stupid because the fir was either rock hard (and seriously tough on the chisels and irons) or would warp and twist very shortly after it was dimensioned. I didn't quite get it together fast enough, so one side's a couple degrees out of square. Oh well, it's shop furniture and really was also a project to 'get back into it' after having tools packed away for a couple years.

It did let me use the 'new to me' #45 I have though, that was cool.. Oh and if Ken reads this... I did kind of enjoy sharpening all those irons, and yes.. it was all freehand after I ground them square and to a 30º bevel angle. That was my weekend, I hope everyone else also had some fun.

Mike,

Good on you for getting your cutters sharp, the correct way:).

I've just one gripe, your shop fixture is too nice. To do it correctly it needs to be put together with biscuits and/or pocket screws and cheap plywood. For reference on how to do it see mine :p.

ken

mike stenson
09-14-2020, 1:19 PM
Mike,

Good on you for getting your cutters sharp, the correct way:).

I've just one gripe, your shop fixture is too nice. To do it correctly it needs to be put together with biscuits and/or pocket screws and cheap plywood. For reference on how to do it see mine :p.

ken

Ken, that's how my last shop was. This time, I haven't been building in a while.. and I'd rather goof up (and relearn) on shop furniture ;)

Ben Ellenberger
09-17-2020, 12:33 PM
Making a cherry tool tote. More fun with compound angles. The side you carry near your leg is vertical and the ends have a little more splay than the other side. Plus I decided to use slips to hold the bottom in. Since the sides are 1/2” I didn’t really want to plow a deep groove directly into them.

it will have a central divider that I’ll attach the handle to and I’ll put some smaller dividers in one half of it to keep smaller items organized.

steven c newman
09-17-2020, 12:43 PM
"Lumber" has been bought...at least enough to start building a case for the taps & dies....
Once I can clear enough room to sort through all the taps....table is full of GrandBRATS' school stuff..
Then figure out a good layout...and wait on Moose & Squirrel to deliver a Paper Plan.....also, need a case for the Pipe taps..
Also out of Poplar....

Ben Ellenberger
09-23-2020, 9:16 PM
Finished this little tool tote. It was a fun experiment with compound angle dovetails and miters. I set the bottom in to a mitered frame so I could keep the sides full thickness. That ended up being pretty fussy and the end result wasn’t perfect. I’ve got a few ideas about how to do better next time.

Christopher Charles
09-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Ben, nice tool tote. Would be interested to see it decked out with kit.

steven c newman
09-24-2020, 12:24 PM
About halfway done on the first box..
Glue ups are underway.....

Ben Ellenberger
09-24-2020, 3:38 PM
Thanks! I made it for a friend who likes working on motorcycles, so I think he’ll use it for small mechanic’s tools. I left it pretty un-divided since I’m not really sure exactly how he’ll end up using it.

Josh Robinson
09-24-2020, 5:46 PM
Starting a little tea box for my daughter for Christmas, copying a Mike Pekovich piece. 441859441860441861

Christopher Charles
09-24-2020, 7:09 PM
Thanks all for keeping this thread going.

Looks good Josh, I like Peckovich's design sense.

I've been set back with more sheetrock-but for good cause. My house had a small climbing wall that my boys were a bit too big for but not big enough to let go for the first two years. I sold it and had to throw up another sheet of rock and now have a bit of painting.

I did manage to make a 'one-joint' desk using some metal legs my partner had. I'll post details separately; here's the finished desk:

Mike Burke
09-25-2020, 6:38 AM
I have been building a TV cabinet for the kids apartment.

Tony Wilkins
09-25-2020, 1:26 PM
Working on some sloyd hooks to ease myself back into the shop.441918

Ben Ellenberger
09-25-2020, 3:52 PM
Ive gotten motivated. I’m going to make a shallow table to replace these wire shelves in my garage. It will let me get my wooden toolbox for my bicycle tools up where it is easier to access. It will have a low shelf for my general mechanic’s tools. I’ll have three good sized drawers to get odds and ends put away. I’ll probably put some shelves on the wall over the bench for more storage.

the thing will be 16” deep x 34 1/2” high x 45” wide. I think it is a little on the narrow side, but the weight of the tools on the lower shelf will help and I can always giv it a little bit of a lean toward the wall if it feels tippy. I can’t make it too wide or my path in and out of the garage gets too narrow. I’m making it out of poplar and the top will be 6/4 maple. It’s kind of fun to switch gears and make something for the garage where I’m using joinery and aiming for a good standard but not fussing over it trying to be perfect. I’ve got the two sides done over the last couple days, next is to make the back and the top and bottom rail that will give me the drawer openings for the front.

mike stenson
09-25-2020, 11:55 PM
With that talk about a turning saw earlier this week..

https://photos.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Shop/Tools/Turning-saw/i-ngCbNpc/0/da5d56f8/L/IMG_5800-L.jpg

ken hatch
09-26-2020, 10:53 AM
With that talk about a turning saw earlier this week..

Mike, looks good. I'll wager it will be your favorite coping/fret saw. Blade thin enough to fit in a Japanese saw kirf but does not break like a fret saw blade will. With a near 12" stroke it is really fast even compared to a coping saw and blows a fret saw out of the water. It is just a great turning saw, which BTW is also a strong point.

It looks like you have good straight grain, if there is a weakness to the saw and it really isn't a saw weakness but a user weakness if you get over enthusiastic with tension you can split the upper arm. DAMHIK :o

ken

P.S. I like the look of yours so much I ordered a kit, can always use a second one.

ken hatch
09-26-2020, 11:14 AM
I'm still working on the Kitchen Trash Can. Here I'm just starting to fit the base trim/foot to the basic box.

ken

mike stenson
09-27-2020, 11:27 PM
Well, that was fun. So much so, I'll probably make another bow saw soon.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Shop/Tools/Turning-saw/i-N4vw4CB/0/63b7fd21/L/IMG_5817-L.jpg

ken hatch
09-27-2020, 11:47 PM
Well, that was fun. So much so, I'll probably make another bow saw soon.

Looks great Mike, have you made a few test cuts? I know silly question but would like a report.

ken

mike stenson
09-28-2020, 12:03 AM
Looks great Mike, have you made a few test cuts? I know silly question but would like a report.

ken

Thanks Ken. Not as much as I'd like as the owner of the dog we had this weekend showed up as I was finishing. So, I made a long wiggly line through a piece of pine after I got it assembled and played with the blade tension and called it 'good' for the time being.. Very easy to start and control, and I quite like it so far. I rather suspect I'll go out tomorrow and play with it a bit more, and will have a better opinion. I had some stock to face and edge joint today.. well, and I got distracted by replacing mountain bike tires.

steven c newman
09-28-2020, 12:18 AM
And finished..
front view..
And of the back...
View of the end....handle and the grain detail of the lid..
Top of the lid...not too bad, for being Poplar?
raise the lid..black chain to hold it..
And take a gander at the inside..

Seems better than just piled into an old Ford parts box....

Mark Rainey
09-28-2020, 11:47 AM
Nice handy box Steve.

Richard Hutchings
09-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Here's my jack plane I'm working on. I don't know why the pics always get rotated here. Anyway, you can see from picture 2 I've taken a different path to making laminated plane. This was mostly due to a mistake I made drilling the hole for the pin. I think this may turn out better than a pinned plane but that remains to be see. In hindsight, I should have carved these before gluing them it. That would have made it really easy.

Steve Voigt
09-28-2020, 9:19 PM
Here's my jack plane I'm working on. I don't know why the pics always get rotated here. Anyway, you can see from picture 2 I've taken a different path to making laminated plane.

Rich, I made a couple planes like this, years ago, before I took the plunge and started making one-piece mortised planes. One thing I will suggest is that you put two pins (e.g. 1/4" dowels) through each side--cut them off flush inside and out. Otherwise, the wedge will eventually pry your abutments loose.
The nice thing about this method is that it gives you a feel for how a traditional plane is designed. It's kind of the last "training wheels" step prior to a one-piece plane.

Oh PS, if you edit your pics before you post them--I usually just rotate them, and then rotate back the other direction--they will turn out ok here.

Ben Ellenberger
09-29-2020, 3:11 PM
It is starting to look like an object! Got the back and the front rails done. Next is to make the bottom rails, which will support the shelf, and the dividers and runners for the three drawers. This project was an excuse to get some 48” clamps since I didn’t have any long enough to clamp this when I glue it up.

im picking through my short pieces of poplar. I’ll use those running front to back for the bottom shelf. I’m thinking I’ll rip them into slats and leave 1” gaps in between. I kind of like doing that to keep myself from just throwing little odds and ends on the shelf.

mike stenson
09-30-2020, 5:38 PM
I made a long wiggly line through a piece of pine after I got it assembled and played with the blade tension and called it 'good' for the time being.. Very easy to start and control, and I quite like it so far. I rather suspect I'll go out tomorrow and play with it a bit more, and will have a better opinion.

... and it took me a couple days (I now have my VW up on the lift, packrats still suck), but I did get a chance to play with it while waiting on parts. I really, really, like this saw. It's amazingly easy to turn the cut very accurately.

So the verdict is.. I'll probably make a couple more, just so I can have one set up with each blade.

ken hatch
09-30-2020, 10:54 PM
... and it took me a couple days (I now have my VW up on the lift, packrats still suck), but I did get a chance to play with it while waiting on parts. I really, really, like this saw. It's amazingly easy to turn the cut very accurately.

So the verdict is.. I'll probably make a couple more, just so I can have one set up with each blade.

Mike,

Thanks for the update. I keep singing but few listen, the TFWW 12" bow saw is a better saw than any fret or coping saw I've used and that includes Knew Concepts. BTW, I have a kit in the mail, your saw inspired me.

What would we do without Pack Rats, I hate to think how much time and money I spend repairing their damage and hauling trapped ones off. But without Pack Rats I wouldn't have the random "art installations" made of rocks, dog turds, and cholia pods scattered around the yard.

ken

Stu Gillard
10-01-2020, 12:46 AM
Does this count?

I recently turned this ...

Into this ...

And it finished up like this ...

A Victorian Australian Cedar fronted, Kauri Pine desk.
Polished with shellac.

Mel Fulks
10-01-2020, 1:16 AM
Stu, it's hard to tell from pic ,but those turnings seem to have a fairly sharp parting between the sections. The "spool
turnings" of mid 19th century usually have a pretty consistent undulating shape. I've wondered if the later type was a
sort of celebration of early 20th century electricity by imitating wiring insulators. Good job on putting it all back together....and thanks
for turning them upside down to you ....so that we could see them top side up ! Good to have you with us.

Jim Koepke
10-01-2020, 3:07 PM
One of my current projects is a box to hold some files for a friend's upcoming birthday:

Finding a pair of long rods to fit the #50 fence was a bit of work. Amazing how a few thousandths difference in the diameter of a rod can be a problem.

jtk

David Glauser
10-01-2020, 11:54 PM
YAMB - Yet Another Moravian Bench. Mine is all birch ply laminate. The local wood shop here closed due to COVID-19 and I am stuck at home with my limited selection of hand tools only. So, I cheated and started with ply. I'm building up my shoulders and hips trying to plane it flat. Much to learn....

Jim Koepke
10-02-2020, 1:27 AM
Howdy David and welcome to the Creek.

Trying to plane plywood can be strange.

jtk

ken hatch
10-02-2020, 1:29 AM
YAMB - Yet Another Moravian Bench. Mine is all birch ply laminate. The local wood shop here closed due to COVID-19 and I am stuck at home with my limited selection of hand tools only. So, I cheated and started with ply. I'm building up my shoulders and hips trying to plane it flat. Much to learn....

David,

Congrats, you will enjoy the bench as well as making it. Photos of your progress if you can.

ken

David Glauser
10-02-2020, 11:14 AM
I just got word that they are opening the woodshop. However, only half is open, only one person at a time is allowed, you can only get a 2 hour block, you have to disinfect every machine or tool you touch, and it is only open 9-5 M-F. Not exactly workable for those of us still employed. Besides, if I wanted to run my 100 pound bench top through a planer, I want someone there to help.

mike stenson
10-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Wait, you live someplace that has a shared space, open to the public, wood hobby shop?

David Glauser
10-02-2020, 11:20 AM
I'm a beginner with planes. I have a number of them, accumulated over time, but very little experience on large items until this project. I'm using a LV 5 1/4 bench plane for the workbench top, as it is the most suitable of my collection (which also includes the LA block plane, the small shoulder plane, and a rabbet plane, all from LV). Someone mentioned on another thread that you need a bench to build a bench. That seems true - the plastic HD saw horses don't provide a great support for planing.

Since the closing of the woodshop, I have found that I far prefer making dovetails by hand to messing with the router jig for same.

Michael J Evans
10-02-2020, 11:29 AM
I'm a beginner with planes. I have a number of them, accumulated over time, but very little experience on large items until this project. I'm using a LV 5 1/4 bench plane for the workbench top, as it is the most suitable of my collection (which also includes the LA block plane, the small shoulder plane, and a rabbet plane, all from LV). Someone mentioned on another thread that you need a bench to build a bench. That seems true - the plastic HD saw horses don't provide a great support for planing.

Since the closing of the woodshop, I have found that I far prefer making dovetails by hand to messing with the router jig for same.

I think Jim koepke made a post one time about homemade wood saw horses. I made those for my bench build and they are rock solid. Another nice thing was I made them a height that was good for me.

When I did my bench I started out with old sheet metal horses. During the actions of planing the top, one of the legs bent and rendered them useless.

mike stenson
10-02-2020, 11:58 AM
If you google 'saw bench', there are a ton of articles and plans out there. Well worth building at least a pair.

David Glauser
10-02-2020, 1:24 PM
Yes. It's a 55+ community in southern Ca. The amenities include a large wood shop, lapidary shop, and pottery shop, among other things. The wood shop has two large rooms. One has a table saw, a couple band saws, router table, planer, jointer, drum sander, several other belt and rotary sanders, a drill press, and lots of hand power tools, plus a dust collection system and compressed air. The other room has several lathes, scroll saw, grinding wheels and belts, and is generally used as the finishing room, when no one is making curls. The shop is open to residents once they show some competence. I have never used a lathe, so I can't use it until and unless I get someone else to train me. I have built several things there, most recently a cherry dinette table for my RV. My next project was to be a large built-in cabinet (7' x 3' x 2') for said RV, with internal lifts for a TV and other items. Now, I'll be making it at home, if I ever get this bench finished.

At first the biggest thing I missed from the shop was the table saw. Cutting long straight edges by hand is not easy. Then I bought a track saw and solved that. I'm trying to build up a collection of tools that are effective and occupy little space, as DW and I intend to live in the RV starting next spring or so.

Phil Mueller
10-02-2020, 4:49 PM
Stu, that’s a beautiful restoration. Very well done. And yes, it counts!

Mike Allen1010
10-02-2020, 7:53 PM
Great thread Phil thanks for starting it. Super fun to see all the projects folks have going! Lots of inspiration in their for slackers like me who were doing more time watching the building.

Cheers, Mike

Ben Ellenberger
10-03-2020, 9:28 PM
Four more mortises to chop, then all the drawer runners and kickers will be done. After that I think I’ll be ready to glue up the carcass. I’ve bounced back and forth between calling this a table or a bench. Since I don’t intend to do much work on it, I think I’ll call it a table.

you’ll notice I have a nice cross-grain insert in the rail. It will be a good reminder to mark which side of the line I’m supposed to cut on. Since I’m going to paint this with milk paint, I don’t think it will show when I’m done.

Doing the runners and kickers is fun. Since they are internal pieces that will never be seen they are a low-stakes way to practice cutting right to the line. If I’m doing a mortise and tenon that I want to come out nice I always saw a little off the line of my shoulder, then pare the last bit with a chisel to guarantee a crisp line. I’m feeling a lot more confident sawing right to the line, but I’m not sure whether I’ll start doing that for fancier things yet. They were also a good excuse to go through my scrap pile and use up some little pieces.

bill epstein
10-04-2020, 6:54 AM
Making some progress on a long neglected project to convert an amplifier from a Printed Circuit Board build in a metal box to being point-to-point wired in wood. Neanderthal only in the use of vacuum tubes. All the machining by way of table and chop saw except for hand-planing the faces and chopping the opening for the AC power/Fuse module at right rear with mallet and chisel. The wood is Sapele, which, translated from the Urhobo means, "must wear mask while machining".

I'm debating whether to add splines or 1/8" dadoes all the way round for some visual interest. Other than that, ready now for the wire-up.

Derek Cohen
10-04-2020, 7:47 PM
Three Wharton Esherick inspired stools ....

https://i.postimg.cc/V6dGmzgV/F-F13.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Matthews
10-05-2020, 6:36 AM
Three Wharton Esherick inspired stools.
Regards from Perth

Derek

You're a brazen tease.

*can't wait*

Derek Cohen
10-05-2020, 11:05 AM
:)

Jim, a few more teases ... not much hand tool work yet ... coming ...

https://i.postimg.cc/MpZjZxgq/IMG_6371.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/k5B68snH/IMG_6374.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
10-05-2020, 11:08 AM
Been making boxes, lately...
Mainly to hold small tools..
SAE Tap & Dies...and
And one for Pipe Thread stuff...
Otherwise, just puttering around in the shop...

mike stenson
10-05-2020, 11:31 AM
I'm still just replacing previously chewed/otherwise damaged items. This weekends task was moxon. Although, I did get irritated (since my bench is no longer against a wall) and add a French tool rack, with rose head cut nails.. just to stay in topic (yep, I split one).

https://photos.smugmug.com/Woodworking/Shop/Tools/Moxon/i-htc5nr3/0/de97d97b/L/IMG_5879-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-PdXXJtm/0/c659e745/M/i-PdXXJtm-M.jpg

ken hatch
10-05-2020, 12:24 PM
I'm still just replacing previously chewed/otherwise damaged items. This weekends task was moxon. Although, I did get irritated (since my bench is no longer against a wall) and add a French tool rack, with rose head cut nails.. just to stay in topic (yep, I split one).

Mike,

Easy to do, and usually the last one. I think you will find the rack handy, mine is almost full length, great for temp storage of saws while using them.

ken

Mike Allen1010
10-06-2020, 4:11 PM
Been making boxes, lately...
Mainly to hold small tools..
SAE Tap & Dies...and
And one for Pipe Thread stuff...
Otherwise, just puttering around in the shop...

Very Nice Steven!

Mike Allen1010
10-06-2020, 4:19 PM
Small pine box to hold carving tools. Got tried of sorting through gouges all over bench to find the one I want- went with color coded handles.

Also a giant Mid century Modern sideboard out of walnut plywood for my brother in law - must be punishment for talking about woodworking too much! plywood is miserable to work with hand tools!!!

Mark Rainey
10-06-2020, 7:57 PM
Nice pine box for organization Mike. And I do feel your pain working with plywood using hand tools. Sawing dulls teeth, so I use a discardable impulse hardened Stanley. Smoothing edges or ends are the same and they are brutal on plane irons, with toxic dust rising about. Ugly, ugly. Good luck!

Ben Ellenberger
10-06-2020, 8:03 PM
I like the sliding front panel to capture the drawers for traveling.

Clifford McGuire
10-07-2020, 5:44 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one making a Moxon vise. I've been using the shoulder vise on my workbench for years, but my back is getting pretty bad. This extra 5 1/2 inches of height will make a difference.

After studying Derek Cohen's vise, I added the 1/2 flip-up spacer. A couple magnets keep it in place when flipped up.

George Gibson
10-08-2020, 7:17 AM
Wide Dresser

Ben Ellenberger
10-09-2020, 9:49 PM
Finished gluing up drawer #2 today. One more to go. I seem to be good for one drawer a day. I had fit the three drawer faces a few days ago, but I rough cut and prepped the sides and back for the drawer today, along with cutting the joints.

also, I’m unreasonably excited about my new discovery. When I’m getting toward the end of my glue bottle I can stick into a dog hole upside down as I glue up. That way I don’t have to keep tapping and shaking to get glue out after every time I set it down. Maybe everyone else had already figured this out, but I felt quite clever.

ken hatch
10-09-2020, 10:56 PM
Finished gluing up drawer #2 today. One more to go. I seem to be good for one drawer a day. I had fit the three drawer faces a few days ago, but I rough cut and prepped the sides and back for the drawer today, along with cutting the joints.

also, I’m unreasonably excited about my new discovery. When I’m getting toward the end of my glue bottle I can stick into a dog hole upside down as I glue up. That way I don’t have to keep tapping and shaking to get glue out after every time I set it down. Maybe everyone else had already figured this out, but I felt quite clever.

Ben,

LOL, welcome to the galoot club where everyone has figured it out before you. I'm there with you, been that way for most of my life.

ken

Phil Gaudio
10-10-2020, 9:24 AM
Finally finished the Huntboard:

https://i.postimg.cc/g2x3SFnp/fullsizeoutput-135.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rDLdsH1Z)

ken hatch
10-10-2020, 10:15 AM

Very nice Phil, beautiful work.

ken

Phil Gaudio
10-10-2020, 10:23 AM
Thanks Ken!

Very nice Phil, beautiful work.

ken

mike stenson
10-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Wow Phil, that's gorgeous!

Phil Gaudio
10-10-2020, 3:17 PM
Thanks Mike!

Wow Phil, that's gorgeous!

Tim Best
10-10-2020, 3:35 PM
Phil, that is beautiful. Do you have any other pics of the build? If so, I would love to see them.

Phil Gaudio
10-10-2020, 3:44 PM
Thanks Tim! The entire build is chronicled on another WW forum: not sure if I am allowed to post a link here. Its on woodnet entitled Shaker Sideboard.

Phil, that is beautiful. Do you have any other pics of the build? If so, I would love to see them.

Mark Rainey
10-10-2020, 3:52 PM
A masterpiece Phil!

Phil Gaudio
10-10-2020, 4:52 PM
Thanks Mark: much appreciated!

A masterpiece Phil!

Tim Best
10-10-2020, 6:52 PM
Thanks, Phil. I’ll check it out on the other site.

Ben Ellenberger
10-10-2020, 8:12 PM
I really like everything about that, but wood selection and the proportions are especially nice.

Nathan Johnson
10-10-2020, 8:18 PM
I'm over here trying to make a shooting board and a napkin holder and you guys are posting stuff like this.
Harrumph.

*pouts and considers quitting*

Phil Gaudio
10-10-2020, 8:20 PM
Thanks Ben!

I really like everything about that, but wood selection and the proportions are especially nice.

Phil Gaudio
10-10-2020, 8:21 PM
Nathan: hang in there: we were all where you are at one point. It will come. Best Phil

I'm over here trying to make a shooting board and a napkin holder and you guys are posting stuff like this.
Harrum

ph.

*pouts and considers quitting*

Phil Mueller
10-11-2020, 8:04 AM
From one Phil to another, that’s one beautiful piece. I was looking forward to seeing it. Thank you for sharing.

Phil Gaudio
10-11-2020, 10:13 AM
Phil: thanks for the kinds words. Phil

From one Phil to another, that’s one beautiful piece. I was looking forward to seeing it. Thank you for sharing.

Nathan Johnson
10-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Nathan: hang in there: we were all where you are at one point. It will come. Best Phil

Thanks, Phil. I was mostly being self-deprecating for the sake of humor.
Your piece is gorgeous and gives us something to aspire to.
Great work.

Phil Gaudio
10-11-2020, 1:39 PM
Nathan: thanks again: humor went way over my head. Phil

Thanks, Phil. I was mostly being self-deprecating for the sake of humor.
Your piece is gorgeous and gives us something to aspire to.
Great work.

Christopher Charles
10-13-2020, 11:01 AM
Phil, great work, particularly with the grain selection and finish. And enjoyed seeing the process on that other forum.

I'm finally getting the shop put back together. I made a coat rack out of walnut and old-stock brass hangers. Laid out for 6 hangers and then discovered I only had 5! The rack is shorter now... The only other part worth a mention is the walnut is screwed to the wall and two of the coat hangers cover the screws, so it will be a challenge to take down unless someone figures out the 'secret'.

I've replaced the climbing wall and rearranged the tool wall as well, including building another panel for chisels and my cheesy plane till and cubbies. Starting to come together finally :)

ken hatch
10-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Phil, great work, particularly with the grain selection and finish. And enjoyed seeing the process on that other forum.

I'm finally getting the shop put back together. I made a coat rack out of walnut and old-stock brass hangers. Laid out for 6 hangers and then discovered I only had 5! The rack is shorter now... The only other part worth a mention is the walnut is screwed to the wall and two of the coat hangers cover the screws, so it will be a challenge to take down unless someone figures out the 'secret'.

I've replaced the climbing wall and rearranged the tool wall as well, including building another panel for chisels and my cheesy plane till and cubbies. Starting to come together finally :)

Chris,

Looks great but what is this looking so organized and clean?:p

All I can say is your Mamma taught you well.

ken

Mike Allen1010
10-14-2020, 12:33 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/g2x3SFnp/fullsizeoutput-135.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rDLdsH1Z)

Absolutely fantastic- one of my favorite designs! I love the contrasting beading, pulls and pegged M&T's. Is that Birch? Garret Hack would be very proud!

Prashun Patel
10-14-2020, 12:41 PM
Phil: You should start a separate thread for this. Would like to know more details. That is just marvelous. It's exactly the type of work I respect most: great wood choice, tight joints, and subtle details that don't jump out at you but still indicate the extra care taken: knife hinges, beading. Long under bevel on the top.

Phil Gaudio
10-14-2020, 4:36 PM
Prashun: Thanks much! I chronicled this build over at woodnet (over 16,000 views to date). Yes I would be happy to post with some details. Give me some time to put something together. Best Phil

Phil: You should start a separate thread for this. Would like to know more details. That is just marvelous. It's exactly the type of work I respect most: great wood choice, tight joints, and subtle details that don't jump out at you but still indicate the extra care taken: knife hinges, beading. Long under bevel on the top.

steven c newman
10-14-2020, 4:55 PM
Almost done with the next box..
Just to hold these...
Waiting on the stain to dry, before a clear gloss top coat can go on....wood is Poplar, BTW...

Ben Ellenberger
10-15-2020, 2:55 PM
Almost ready to paint. I need to let the glue set up on the last two drawer pulls, then I can flush them up and do the final sanding, easing edges, etc. I left the drawer faces just a tiny bit proud of the face and put a little bevel around them. I think I like that detail and I’ll keep doing it when I’m doing simple flush drawers. I thought I had a big enough piece of plywood for my drawer bottoms, but it turned out 1/2” too short in either direction for my last drawer. So, I’ll have to get another piece. This also means I have a lot (for me) of 1/4” ply laying around. I may make some little trays and boxes to organize camping gear or tools and use up the ply.

I’m planning to take the bottom slats off and paint the main body and drawer faces with blue milk paint. I’ll probably just oil the slats with boiled linseed oil and call them good. When I put them on I made little spacer blocks to get consistent gaps. I worked in from both sides and stopped when I was halfway done. My little errors had added up enough that I could tell the last few slats would have a visibly different spacing (probably about a 1/8”) so I made some slightly bigger spacers for putting in the last half of the slats. If I had it to do over again I would start in the middle and work outwards, so any little errors that added up would just end up in the gaps outside of the outermost slats.

I have some 6/4 maple for the top. I may be able to get enough width from one board cut into three. If that leaves me a little bit short I’ll use a fourth plank at the back and probably stand it on edge to give myself a 1” lip at the back to keep things from rolling off the back.

Ben Ellenberger
10-17-2020, 4:45 PM
All done. The top glued up pretty nicely and didn’t take too long to get flat enough and pretty enough for a work bench (table?). The board had a long curve in it, so I had the middle piece flipped opposite of the two outer pieces. They counteracted each other and the overall top was pretty straight when I took the clamps off. Edge jointing a 42” top with a #5 takes a little care. I had to do a couple rounds of checking the edges against each other and taking out high spots. I had a slightly sprung joint that tightened up nicely with the clamps.

i painted it with two coats of milk paint then finished with BLO. I’m becoming a big fan of that finish. I can just see the grain poking through in spots, but for something like this I kind of like that effect. For something more polished I’d put on another coat or two to get a more consistent color. I just oiled the top with mineral oil. I mixed the milk paint powder at 1:1 with water, but I may try mixing it a little thinner next time. I may also do more stirring and less shaking. It is pretty foamy and I liked the consistency of it much more when I did the second coat. The paint had time to sit longer and I stirred it before starting the second coat, instead of shaking it.

now I can open my toolbox all the way! Before it was sitting on wire shelves and I couldn’t open the top compartment all the way. Having a few drawers to organize odds and ends will also be nice. I had one board that was just long enough to use for some shelves that will go over this. I’ll finish them up and get them hung in the next day or two.

Tim Best
10-17-2020, 6:07 PM
Nicely done.

Michael J Evans
10-17-2020, 8:05 PM
Very nice Ben

Jerry Olexa
10-17-2020, 11:17 PM
That's a nice slab of Red Oak!!!! ENVY here.

Bruce Mack
10-17-2020, 11:44 PM
I'm making a model of the Treasury Building of Petra, Jordan for the MN State Fair 2021. It was for 2020 but I pulled the crew (me) when that was cancelled. Approximately 20 X 30", it is the right size for my diminished strength.

Scott Winners
10-18-2020, 1:45 PM
Two items I feel pretty OK about, though not at the level many of you have attained. I am off this weekend between two weekends of call, and have an adult child back in the house as an unintended consequence of the pandemic.

We needed a coat rack in the hallway today. This piece of cherry has been in my shop taking up space too long. It has pleasing figure, but the grain rises from both ends towards the middle. It is too pretty to bust up into one of my BBQ cookers, but too fiddly for anything time consuming or fussy. I went over both faces with a number five to see what could be done, got my edges and ends trued, did use a electric router for the border. Once I had the show face close to finish smooth I got my layout on, got all my holes marked with awl pricks, then erased by pencil marks with the final planing. I did end up with I think three cabinet scrapers in use before I called it good, finish is hemp oil and beeswax.

Also needed a stool for changing in and out of winter boots. My wife uses the foot of the stairs, I come and go through the garage during the winter, child much taller then her mother and using the front door. This is a quick piece out of the scrap bin. I used 15 dgrees as the included angle for the legs. Seat is nominal 9x14 inches (scrap of 2x10) the holes for the legs are on a rectangle 4x8" centered on the bottom. I drew my reference lines at 45 degrees out of each corner, rather than pointing at the opposite corner.

The glue dried overnight last night, so now I can saw the tips off the seat surface, and shape the feet. I was expecting to have to level it, but it is sitting evenly on all four legs as glued up - not an ordinary outcome at my shop. For the legs I drilled the seat with a one inch auger, and then hand tapered lengths of 2x2 with draw knife and spoke shave, leaving a 1" cylnder at the top of each leg.

I plan to build another stool like this in the fullness of time so that I can turn it upside down in the stove room and dry cold weather boots out overnight. First I need to live with this one a little bit and read Chris Shwarz on chair leg angles again after I get to know this piece.

Scott Winners
10-18-2020, 2:56 PM
The stool did not pass final QC. I cut the glue off the pieces big enough to go back in the scrap pin for prompt burning next time the wood stove gets loaded.

Derek Cohen
10-18-2020, 7:43 PM
Three Wharton Esherick-style stools in Hard Maple making progress (not the same as the shop stool). Nine stretchers to go.

https://i.postimg.cc/WbxKZVnx/13.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mel Fulks
10-18-2020, 7:47 PM
And one missing leg !

ken hatch
10-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Three Wharton Esherick-style stools in Hard Maple making progress (not the same as the shop stool). Nine stretchers to go.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I've been needing a new shop stool and have been doing the "yes but" for awhile. I like your shop stool, you may have shortened the "yes but" time.

ken

Derek Cohen
10-19-2020, 10:43 AM
Ken, the three new stools are different from the shop stool. I cannot believe how much work has gone into these so far. All hard maple, and the wood is indeed hard, where the shop stool was pine.

The idea is to used the Esherick stretchers ...

https://i.postimg.cc/Kz4pgzFS/WEstool14.jpg

The seat design looks somewhat like the Esherick seat, however mine allows the individual to choose one of three sides, and each side will have a stretcher at a different height ... for different length legs :)

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9BmpCmx/15.jpg

Just roughing out the stretchers ...

https://i.postimg.cc/bJ0Sdfxf/16.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jon Snider
10-19-2020, 12:05 PM
443469443470443471443472443473M443475443476

My second, as yet unnamed, white water dory. A Covid special!

ken hatch
10-19-2020, 1:11 PM
Ken, the three new stools are different from the shop stool. I cannot believe how much work has gone into these so far. All hard maple, and the wood is indeed hard, where the shop stool was pine.

The idea is to used the Esherick stretchers ...

https://i.postimg.cc/Kz4pgzFS/WEstool14.jpg

The seat design looks somewhat like the Esherick seat, however mine allows the individual to choose one of three sides, and each side will have a stretcher at a different height ... for different length legs :)

Just roughing out the stretchers ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

I expect my shop stool will be more like your shop stool than the Esherick, for the shop I like the three legs with front two near vertical and what appears to be a forward slanted seat. Most of the time I do not use a shop stool for sitting but for leaning my butt against while working, the slanted seat and vertical legs should be perfect.

ken

Rob Lee
10-19-2020, 1:48 PM
Hi -

Not shop work - but an 8' x 13' shed with my son-in-law....

Cheers -

Rob

Matt Lau
10-19-2020, 1:51 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/WbxKZVnx/13.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, that is lovely!

Tim Best
10-19-2020, 2:14 PM
The stools are lovely and I am looking forward to the finished product and your build notes. I must say that I am equally impressed by the lack of clutter below your bench. A Moxon vise, strop, and one (maybe two) bench hooks. If my bottom shelf looked that tidy, I would swear that I had been robbed. Robbed mind you of nothing of great import, but robbed nonetheless.

Tim

Derek Cohen
10-19-2020, 7:50 PM
Tim, I have a team of retriever dogs that catch every shaving before it lands, and then drops them in the bin. What’s the point of being a psychologist if you do not take advantage to train the family? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tim Best
10-19-2020, 9:55 PM
Derek, Ha! That explains everything! To quote the younger generation, pics or it didn't happen! :cool: (My apologies to F. Scott Fitzgerald for the exclamation points.)

Prashun Patel
10-21-2020, 12:54 PM
Been making electric guitars recently. #2 in walnut and maple.

Derek Cohen
10-21-2020, 1:40 PM
Very nice Prashan. Is the design a copy of something classic, or your own?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun Patel
10-21-2020, 2:19 PM
It's a copy (from plans, basically) of a PRS. I made a Telecaster before this and am currently making a couple more. It's highly addictive - perhaps more so than the vortex of turning.

Ben Ellenberger
10-27-2020, 4:12 PM
When my mom came to visit, she liked the oak mechanic’s tool chest I had made for myself. So, I’m making her a little chest out of walnut for her sewing supplies. It will have three drawers for thread, then a top compartment for needles/scissors/current project stuff/etc. I’ll make a dovetailed solid wood case and frame and panel tops and bottoms, then saw the top 1” of the case off to be part of the top. The case will be 12 1/2” x 12 1/2” x 17”. The drawers will be about 2 1/2” tall each.

this is the first real thing I’ve made out of walnut, and it I’m really liking how it saws and planes. It is really nice wood. Seeing pencil marks is tricky though, if I get my lamp at the right angle I can see them more from the reflection of the lead. I’ll go to the art supply store in town and see if I can find some light colored pencils to help with marking.

I’ve got the tails cut on the back panel. I decided to make this with really narrow pins. My 3/16” chisel is just small enough. I took a lot of care in cleaning up the tails and making sure everything was square. I pared a couple of them where I didn’t cut at exactly the angle I wanted. I decided to use blue tape on the end of the pin board so I could see my lines better.

it was right before lunch, I had transferred my lines, and I decided to go ahead and make my saw cuts before eating. So, I peeled off the tape and started my first cut when I realized I peeled off the tape on the pins instead of the tails. I had only made two saw strokes, so I’ll be able to make a shim out of an off-cut of this board, glue it in and plane it flush. The fix will disappear in the finished piece. But, I’m a little disgusted right now. It’s a good reminder to step back and slow down when you feel your attention starting to wane, especially when you’re doing something a little different.

Leo Butler
10-28-2020, 11:46 AM
This is my first completed piece of actual furniture. My wife wanted a small bookcase to go into a corner of our bedroom that matched our existing pine furniture and I said I'd like to make it. Most of my woodworking has been functional in nature - kitchen cabinets, simple shelves - so I aspired to be careful and get it right.

It took longer than anticipated to get it completed, even though I used S4S plain western pine from our local home center. The worst part was finishing; through testing I found the pine would splotch like crazy and I thought I found a combination that worked well prior to staining (thinned blonde shellac). Well, the water-based flat finish I chose lifted the stain right up; I should have tested putting the stain directly in the finish. I switched to shellac for the topcoat which still lifted the stain but it did so more slowly and I found a technique to apply it that avoided most second passes with the brush, although I occasionally forgot and it's obvious where that happened.

Anyway, from a few feet away it looks pretty good and the books hide the worst of the finishing blunders where the shelves meet the sides. I want to make a bigger pine bookcase that more closely resembles the other furniture and for that I think I'll explore spraying. Not sure how to get even coverage on the inside by spraying, but I'll be damned sure to experiment before applying anything on that piece. I'm going to order some southern pine (someplace, haven't found where to do that yet) so it'll be a while before that gets underway.

It was a learning experience; more of one than I had intended. But my wife is really happy with it and she doesn't care at all about the imperfections. Or so she says. :)

- Leo

mike stenson
10-28-2020, 3:51 PM
The bookshelf looks great Leo! If I was spraying it, I'd tape off where the glue is going, and spray it before assembly.

Mike Allen1010
10-28-2020, 7:22 PM
443469443470443471443472443473M443475443476

My second, as yet unnamed, white water dory. A Covid special!

Very impressive Jon! I would like to think my joinery is fairly tight but not watertight! Would love to see some build pictures if the opportunity presents. Thanks for posting.

In my early 20s I was shanghaied into a two man surf dory race (start on the beach, row out through the surfline around the buoy and back in). Coming back through the surfline flipped the dory, the gunnel came over and broke my arm. It still doesn't work right. I hope you have better luck in Colorado!

Best, Mike

Mike Allen1010
10-28-2020, 7:34 PM
8 foot long "mid century modern" Walnut sideboard for my brother-in-law. This is not my preferred style and was built on request based on design – well pretty much a cocktail napkin sketch – he provided.

The carcass is mitered at the corners walnut plywood that I foolishly attempted to glue/assemble by myself (my Boys are some how never around when I really need them), which accounts for the completely un-square final result. That "Original Sin" of building out of square carcass led to multiple "workarounds" to make doors, sliding doors and interior dividers fit. Best I can say is at least the drawers fit nicely and the doors slide. I'm hoping no one notices the rest the mistakes.

Heaviest thing I've ever built. Will be glad when it's out of the shop.

Cheers, Mike

Phil Mueller
10-29-2020, 9:49 AM
Not my style either, Mike, but wow, nicely done. Are those dowels at the corners?...nice touch.

ken hatch
10-29-2020, 12:42 PM
8 foot long "mid century modern" Walnut sideboard for my brother-in-law. This is not my preferred style and was built on request based on design – well pretty much a cocktail napkin sketch – he provided.

The carcass is mitered at the corners walnut plywood that I foolishly attempted to glue/assemble by myself (my Boys are some how never around when I really need them), which accounts for the completely un-square final result. That "Original Sin" of building out of square carcass led to multiple "workarounds" to make doors, sliding doors and interior dividers fit. Best I can say is at least the drawers fit nicely and the doors slide. I'm hoping no one notices the rest the mistakes.

Heaviest thing I've ever built. Will be glad when it's out of the shop.

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

As always beautiful work but damn someone needs to talk to your Brother-in-law :). That is one of the reasons I do not build to request.

ken

Mike Allen1010
10-29-2020, 3:15 PM
Not my style either, Mike, but wow, nicely done. Are those dowels at the corners?...nice touch.

It was fairly easy to plane the 45° miters in the high quality plywood by hand. Joints are screwed from both directions. I found some pre-made, tapered bungs at Rockler (not really sure what they're called) to fill the holes and hide the screws. They were much easier to use than dowels and quite a time saver. The decorative letter color would on the sliding doors is curly maple. I re-sawed to about 3/8" thick two book matched. Final surface planing was a real bear! I confess the electric orbital sander came in very handy.

Mike Allen1010
10-29-2020, 3:30 PM
Mike,

As always beautiful work but damn someone needs to talk to your Brother-in-law :). That is one of the reasons I do not build to request.

ken

Ken, you speak the truth! This project was certainly not my preferred style or material. Working with the plywood sucked, especially with no table saw (that reminds me I need to resharpen the 8PPI crosscut saw I dulled to butter knife level sharpness sawing the plywood). Design was a compromise between my brother-in-law (who is a really good friend) and his wife. I spent lots of time texting them pictures of the build process asking "are you sure this is the way you want to look?".

The other thing I didn't appreciate about plywood is how fricken heavy it is! Once the carcass was assembled, it didn't move from the glue up table until the entire project was complete. When the time comes to load this into the truck, I plan to faraway. Definitely a job for the young bucks!

This product is also given me an new appreciation for the challenge of installing factory made MDF/plywood kitchen cabinets etc. In the back of my mind, I always thought our empty nest/retirement strategy might be to buy an older home and remodel it so I could do all the built-ins, finish carpentry etc. Aside from the fact that there's probably a 0% chance the Boss would sign off on that plan, this project has made me think it wouldn't really be very much fun to build my own kitchen cabinets. I'm too old to be moving those plywood boxes around. Guess I'll have to come up with another plan!

Cheers, Mike

Christopher Charles
10-29-2020, 3:57 PM
Hi Mike,

Looks great-let's see a picture of you next to it in your finest bowling shirt :) That's a stunning piece and I think will look even better as the maple and walnut mellow a bit. Hope you treat us to a build thread, plywood and all.

Best,
Chris

Mike Allen1010
10-29-2020, 5:09 PM
Hi Mike,

Looks great-let's see a picture of you next to it in your finest bowling shirt :) That's a stunning piece and I think will look even better as the maple and walnut mellow a bit. Hope you treat us to a build thread, plywood and all.

Best,
Chris

Sorry Chris, no build pictures for this project. Would've have to been a rated R video for all the cussing and groaning!:)

Phil Mueller
10-29-2020, 8:06 PM
Sorry Chris, no build pictures for this project. Would've have to been a rated R video for all the cussing and groaning!:)

LOL, Mike.

Erich Weidner
10-30-2020, 12:14 AM
Not furniture... but probably a step closer to "Neanderthal".

I've started chopping down the Ashe Juniper in my small backyard. And decided to (re)learn knots/lashings I've not used since boy scouts. I'm cutting it up on this... (the Mark II, Mark I fell over. I still need to add another stabilizing piece between the X frames).

444099 444100

Tony Shea
10-30-2020, 8:22 AM
Have been working on a cherry entry shelf for our mud room. Have a couple drawers, one for me and one for my fiancee. The idea is we will put our car keys in these drawers and can leave each other love notes from time to time. The drawer fronts are some wenge I have had laying around for a while. I'm currently applying finish and will post pics after the finish is done. The first coat of finish has really transformed the piece and has elevated the contrast between the cherry and wenge. The cabinets in our mud room are stained black hence why I chose such a dark wood for the drawer fronts.

444109 444110 444108

steven c newman
10-30-2020, 11:43 AM
Did a "class project"....using just some Pine scraps..to learn how to make a Double lap Dovetail joint
remember, this is just out of a scrap of Pine..
And, more about learning to make the dovetail corners...won't win any Beauty Contests...not out of any fancy wood...
Just a "Dovetail Class" project...3-1/4" tall, by 7" across the front, by 6" on the sides....

Just something to do, between building other projects...

Christopher Charles
10-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Tony, very cool design, would be interested to see it installed.

Mike Allen1010
10-30-2020, 2:35 PM
Have been working on a cherry entry shelf for our mud room. Have a couple drawers, one for me and one for my fiancee. The idea is we will put our car keys in these drawers and can leave each other love notes from time to time. The drawer fronts are some wenge I have had laying around for a while. I'm currently applying finish and will post pics after the finish is done. The first coat of finish has really transformed the piece and has elevated the contrast between the cherry and wenge. The cabinets in our mud room are stained black hence why I chose such a dark wood for the drawer fronts.

444109 444110 444108

Very Nice Tony! I love the details: through, wedged M&T's with contrasting wedges, the "bowl" depression carved in the top shelf and the cool drawer pull openings! Definitely a project fellow woodworkers will notice and admire. Well done!

Mike Allen1010
10-30-2020, 2:38 PM
Did a "class project"....using just some Pine scraps..to learn how to make a Double lap Dovetail joint
remember, this is just out of a scrap of Pine..
And, more about learning to make the dovetail corners...won't win any Beauty Contests...not out of any fancy wood...
Just a "Dovetail Class" project...3-1/4" tall, by 7" across the front, by 6" on the sides....

Just something to do, between building other projects...

Steven, can you help me understnad what the double lap DT is? Would love to see how it goes together. Thanks for the lesson.:)

steven c newman
10-30-2020, 3:35 PM
Had a how-to thread going...
Pins first seems to work best on these...makes it easier to lat out the tails..
Then slide the two together...
And you wind up with a corner like this..
From the side/top....and from the edge..
And...if you don't over cut...the insides will look like this

making someone else wonder how it is all held together....with just glue....

Rob Luter
10-30-2020, 6:05 PM
Working on a Stickley #603 taboret. Should have it done in a week or so.

Richard Hutchings
10-31-2020, 4:10 PM
Aside from working on my rabbet plane, I finally fixed this and can start moving forward again. Brazilian rosewood and cherry center strip.444200444201

Tony Shea
11-01-2020, 6:00 PM
Well that's going to be a beauty!! I'd love to learn to make a guitar. I started one a while back, 3 or 4 years ago, and haven't finished. I got a little overwhelmed as I hadn't been woodworking that long. Even with more experience I am still intimidated on picking it back up. The Brazilian Rosewood will be spectacular. I still remember when guitars used to have all Brazilian Rosewood back and sides.

Derek Cohen
11-02-2020, 5:40 AM
Progress shot ...

https://i.postimg.cc/RC1HGwLm/25.jpg

The stretchers are all turned. The remaining legs need to be morticed. Then final shaping to be completed.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Allen1010
11-02-2020, 7:55 PM
I'm loving this thread – lots of super inspirational projects! For example, I never thought about building a guitar but seeing the pictures here I'm super inspired; I love music, I love beautiful wood, I want to be Eric Clapton – therefore I should build a guitar. Forget about the whole pesky concept of "learning to play the instrument" – Bah humbug! I would be happy to hold it and make some noise – baby steps.

Cheers, Mike

Ben Ellenberger
11-02-2020, 8:17 PM
Finished the carcass and I’m working on the top panel. I’m going to miter the shoulders, so I’ve made a paring block to help get the angles correct. After I took this picture I started in on the first few shoulders. I’m definitely going slow and leaving everything a little over-sized. I’ll get all four corners close then sneak up on the final fit. There is probably a better way to do this, but it’s the first time I’ve done this detail on a frame, so I’m kind of figuring it out as I go. I made a middle rail, but I haven’t chopped mortises for it. I’ve gone back and forth on whether I think it will look good. I think i need to settle on the wood I want to use for the panel then decide whether it will look best broken up in two parts or left as one continuous panel.

i have a bit of rough grain on the carcass and on the frame, but nothing deep. I expect everything will look really good after I glue up and do the final planing, scraping, and sanding.

Josh Robinson
11-08-2020, 6:21 PM
My first shot at kumiko....copying a Mike Pekovich tea box for my daughter for Christmas

Josh Robinson
11-08-2020, 6:24 PM
Progress shot ...

https://i.postimg.cc/RC1HGwLm/25.jpg

The stretchers are all turned. The remaining legs need to be morticed. Then final shaping to be completed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Really liking the stools Derek!

Michael J Evans
11-08-2020, 8:28 PM
My first shot at kumiko....copying a Mike Pekovich tea box for my daughter for Christmas

Looking good Josh

Derek Cohen
11-08-2020, 8:31 PM
The completed build is in the Projects forum: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?287076-Three-sided-stools

https://i.postimg.cc/MpgLxrGC/F3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Joe A Faulkner
11-09-2020, 8:14 AM
I dropped this 40’ ash tree last month and am doing some chain saw sawyering. Also have a mid-century modern style walnut vanity that is on the drawing board for my daughter. I won’t be mitering these corners though and like my sawyering, I’ll be using mid century modern tools on that project. I dont have Mike’s patience or skill.

steven c newman
11-09-2020, 10:13 AM
Good thing I still have a weeks to to get this done....
Blanket Chest in Ash....for a Christmas Present...

Christopher Charles
11-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Derek, stools look great and build details on the project thread would be enjoyed by many.

Joe, I almost spit out my coffee at "... I’ll be using mid century modern tools on that project"

Steve, wiser than I to get started early-looks good.

The sheds are finally done

That done, starting to get back to projects at the bench. LOML had some shelf brackets, so was able to make a couple walnut planks a little flatter for a couple of wall shelves:

Progress is being made on the NBSS tool chest as well.

Mark Rainey
11-09-2020, 1:10 PM
Chris, the live edge on the shelf adds to it. I like it.

Josh Robinson
11-12-2020, 4:47 PM
Pekovich tea box is done.

Richard Hutchings
11-12-2020, 5:02 PM
I love everything about this box. The sliding door is really nice. I wish I liked tea.

Ben Ellenberger
11-16-2020, 10:40 PM
My landlords have put my place on the market, so I’ve been a little distracted working out where I will move to. But, I’ve got a few good options, and won’t have to move until after Christmas, so I finished up the panel for the top of the sewing box. Mitering the inside corners was slow, I marked and sawed them out roughly, then made a paring block and slowly worked until I was satisfied with the fit. The effect is pretty subtle to me and I don’t think I’ll do it again unless something really calls for it. I’d be interested in seeing if anyone has a good method to do the miters. I re-sawed the panel and book matched it from 4/4 stock and was just able to keep it thick enough.

here’s a better picture of the box.

next is to make the front rails and the runners for the three drawers, then I can glue up the box and make the bottom. The bottom will be frame and panel too, but I’ll just make a regular frame without miters. I’ll probably use maple for the bottom panel, but may stick with walnut throughout, haven’t made up my mind yet.

Christopher Charles
11-17-2020, 1:32 PM
Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about your impending move-never any fun, especially when unexpected.

The top looks great, I especially like your attention to the grain on the frame. No big suggestions on the miters-might be a little faster to cut prior to chamfering the frame if you didn't do that.

Best,
Chris

steven c newman
11-17-2020, 1:41 PM
Cove details are done..
Bread board ends are installed...

Just might get this Blanket Chest done....before Christmas....

Bill Carey
11-17-2020, 1:42 PM
Pekovich tea box is done.

Nice Josh - looks really nice. Did you work from plans or did you just wing it?

Josh Robinson
11-17-2020, 5:54 PM
Nice Josh - looks really nice. Did you work from plans or did you just wing it?

Thanks Bill...he had some measured drawings and discussion in his book, “The Why and How of Woodworking” and I made a life size drawing. I tend to make things too big and I love his sense of proportion. Hope to develop my own style some day. The box is about the size of a shoe box. The cubby behind the sliding door is about the size of a tea cup.

steven c newman
11-21-2020, 8:06 PM
Pip?

Jim Koepke
11-22-2020, 7:41 PM
Spent a little time in the shop today.

Made an awl out of a piece of 3/16" drill rod and an old chisel handle:

Started by drilling a hole ~0.002 (0.185 #13) smaller than the rod in a piece of square pine. Used this to steady it on my disk sharpening system. It allowed me to turn it evenly to make the four bevels pretty much the same.

It isn't a true bird cage awl. It can be used to cut a hole through a piece of wood.

jtk

Derek Cohen
11-23-2020, 8:55 AM
Very nice Josh!

I cannot see your image, Jim.

I am making a tool cabinet for under the bench. There are too many tools on the wall, and many would be better off stored in a drawer under the bench.

https://i.postimg.cc/Gm8w9M0G/3.jpg

The tool cabinet is inspired by the North Bennet Street version, which many here have been making. Mine is a little more complex, with more drawers, and a mitred through dovetail case.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMZHkPFp/4.jpg

Merbau case being dovetailed ...

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKcZ34m6/2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
11-23-2020, 3:36 PM

Thanks for the note Derek.

It didn't show up for me either so it was re-uploaded.

Hope that fixes the problem.

jtk

Norman Pirollo
11-23-2020, 3:50 PM
Working on this solid cherry wall cabinet. Door panel is spalted maple. I'm gluing together the case and dividers at the moment. Then final fitting. Offset knife hinges installed. Afterwards, the 5 dovetailed drawers (3 inside, 2 outside)

Mike Allen1010
11-23-2020, 9:16 PM
I dropped this 40’ ash tree last month and am doing some chain saw sawyering. Also have a mid-century modern style walnut vanity that is on the drawing board for my daughter. I won’t be mitering these corners though and like my sawyering, I’ll be using mid century modern tools on that project. I dont have Mike’s patience or skill.

Joe, Can't wait to see how your project comes along. Nothing cooler than building something for your daughter with a tree from your land! Very impressed with your tree milling to date - do you have some kind of chain saw Alaskan mill ?

Best of luck with the Mid century modern vanity. you're already leagues ahead of me - working with solid ash, versus plywood is huge step in the right direction IMHO. look forward to your progress!
Cheers, Mike

Mike Allen1010
11-23-2020, 9:24 PM
Very nice Josh!

I am making a tool cabinet for under the bench. There are too many tools on the wall, and many would be better off stored in a drawer under the bench.

https://i.postimg.cc/Gm8w9M0G/3.jpg

The tool cabinet is inspired by the North Bennet Street version, which many here have been making. Mine is a little more complex, with more drawers, and a mitred through dovetail case.

https://i.postimg.cc/qMZHkPFp/4.jpg

Merbau case being dovetailed ...

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKcZ34m6/2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Uoooh, this should be good! Derek can't wait to see your progress, the design looks like an excellent opportunity for your joinery and drawer making skills to shine! Thanks for sharing - separate build thread? Good thing there is a concrete slab under that bench because when your done I'm guessing your bench will be a true "heavy weight":)

Mike Allen1010
11-23-2020, 9:28 PM
Working on this solid cherry wall cabinet. Door panel is spalted maple. I'm gluing together the case and dividers at the moment. Then final fitting. Offset knife hinges installed. Afterwards, the 5 dovetailed drawers (3 inside, 2 outside)

Very, very nice Norman - I LOVE the spalted maple panel- very Krenovian! I look forward to seeing more of your work. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Mike

Mike Allen1010
11-23-2020, 9:33 PM

Congrats Josh, it turned out great!

How was making the Kumiko? I know I should read the article for details, but broadly how hard was it to get everything to fit so nicely? Are the pieces saw or cut with edge tools to final dimensions for fitting?

Thanks, Mike

bill epstein
11-23-2020, 10:07 PM
It's been nearly 2 months since I ventured into the bedroom/shop but now the total hip replacement is nearly 2 weeks behind me and I actually felt well enough to play a few records today. Quite a triumph to cue up, sit down and listen then get back up again rather easily.

Taking the non-narcotic Lyrica, an anti-convulsive that works well on nerve pain. The one side effect is that I'm just this side of La-La Land and wouldn't trust myself to cut a Popsicle stick. Looking forward to making a longer version of the Firmi-rack to hold my amplifiers and A/V components. Milling, planing, and gluing up 6/4 Maple for the shelves should get my upper body strength back in short order.

Stay tuned.

Norman Pirollo
11-24-2020, 9:11 AM
Thanks Mike! I'll post any upcoming projects. Have another planned early in December once this one is complete. My roots are Krenov-based furniture pieces, you have a good eye.

Norman

steven c newman
11-24-2020, 11:55 AM
First coat of varnish was brushed on last night...
Checked on it this morning...lid was stuck, of course....popped it loose, and installed the handles...
One on each end. Centered in the top rail....
So...I need to fix a couple "white spots", sand the rest to 320 grit, wipe this down...and get coat #2 done.

Tools for the handle installs..
Couple of cordless drills, a VIX bit. MK1 Eyeball to center the handles....long screws were shortened down and have a new point ground on. Handles had a fake screw head ground off, and a new hole drilled in it's place.

Until the finishing is done, I can't do a whole lot, without raising dust...so....
Stay tuned...

Josh Robinson
11-24-2020, 1:05 PM
Congrats Josh, it turned out great!

How was making the Kumiko? I know I should read the article for details, but broadly how hard was it to get everything to fit so nicely? Are the pieces saw or cut with edge tools to final dimensions for fitting?

Thanks, Mike

Thanks Mike! The Kumiko surprisingly isn’t as hard as it looks. And it’s hard to understand an explanation of it, but it’s fairly intuitive once you get into it. The strips are cut on a block shaped to get the angles and trimmed with a sharp chisel (45, 22.5 and 67.5 degrees in this case). Photography hides some sins but it’s okay for first try. Like anything, the more you do it the better you get.

Phil Mueller
11-24-2020, 4:19 PM
Glad to hear you’re doing well, Bill. Smart to stay away from power tools for the time being. Might be time to pick up a hand saw and a bench plane and start milling. Now there’s a path to upper body strength :D

Bill Carey
11-24-2020, 10:16 PM
Started a dresser yesterday, milling the legs from some nice 8/4 walnut. They have a slight curve to them, and I wanted a cherry end panel to follow the curve, so routing the dado for the 1/4" panels was interesting. I screwed a a section of the cutoff from bandsawing the curves to my router base and used that as a guide. Worked out nicely. And that little Makita router is the nuts. Tomorrow I'll get to the walnut top and bottom rails for the side panels. The inside will get a 3/8" poplar panel, and I plan on making a secret panel at the bottom so I have a little hiding place in the interstitial space.

445613 445614 445617

The cherry end panels are book matched, and the front legs are cut from the same board and match - not that anyone will notice since they'll be 4' apart. But I'll know and that's half the fun.

445615 445616

So far so good, but you know what they say: so it goes.

Mark Rainey
11-25-2020, 8:00 AM
Looking forward to the build Bill...I like black walnut...the smell, the workability, the deep color.

Ben Ellenberger
11-27-2020, 3:10 PM
Bill,

count me in as another person who’s interested in your dresser. It looks good so far!

I got the top panel for my sewing chest glued up and the frame for the bottom panel cut and fitted. Originally I was going to use maple for the bottom panel, but this is fir my mom and I think she’ll prefer the case if it is solid walnut, so I’ve got another piece of walnut to re-saw and bookmatch for the bottom. I got the front rails cut and the sliding dovetails cut and fitted. Before I had done any sliding dovetails they seemed kind of intimidating - like they might be more fiddly than normal dovetails. My experience has been the opposite, every time I do them they seem to be pretty straightforward. You end up with a lot of ability to fine tune them as you go, and can get a good fit without too much effort. I cut the tails with just a chisel, no sawing. I cut the very back of the tails off, so I could over-cut the socket slightly and the cut would be covered by the rail. Chopping and removing the waste went quickly and I used a small router plane to get the bottom flat.

I took a couple of pictures during the dry fit, just to get more if an idea how this will look when it is done. I glued up the case but haven’t glued the rails in yet, I’ll glue those in after I take the clamps off from the main part of the glue-up. I’m not completely happy with my joinery on the case, I have a few gaps in the dovetails that I’ll have to fill with glue and sawdust, but I think it will look pretty good once it is cleaned up.

Joe A Faulkner
11-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Joe, Can't wait to see how your project comes along. Nothing cooler than building something for your daughter with a tree from your land! Very impressed with your tree milling to date - do you have some kind of chain saw Alaskan mill ?

Best of luck with the Mid century modern vanity. you're already leagues ahead of me - working with solid ash, versus plywood is huge step in the right direction IMHO. look forward to your progress!
Cheers, Mike

Mike, I’ve seen enough of your builds to know I am not even close to your level of skill. The vanity is being built from walnut that I purchased from a retired Purdue University forestry professor . He operates a Christmas tree farm and lumber mill in Tippecanoe county. The sides and top will be solid walnut. I’ll use ply wood with a walnut edge for the bottom. Maple,or poplar will be used for the drawer boxes. Drawer runners will probably be oak or hickory. The ash probably won’t be dry enough to work for at least a year. When the build is done, I may post some pics in the projects forum. The top will be made from this 6/4 live edge slab. I will mill 5/4 lumber for this I almost have the 4/4 stock milled to 3/4 for the sides and front. I will use 1/4” sheet goods for the back.

Bill Carey
11-28-2020, 10:04 AM
Mike, I’ve seen enough of your builds to know I am not even close to your level of skill. The vanity is being built from walnut that I purchased from a retired Purdue University forestry professor . He operates a Christmas tree farm and lumber mill in Tippecanoe county. The sides and top will be solid walnut. I’ll use ply wood with a walnut edge for the bottom. Maple,or poplar will be used for the drawer boxes. Drawer runners will probably be oak or hickory. The ash probably won’t be dry enough to work for at least a year. When the build is done, I may post some pics in the projects forum. The top will be made from this 6/4 live edge slab. I will mill 5/4 lumber for this I almost have the 4/4 stock milled to 3/4 for the sides and front. I will use 1/4” sheet goods for the back.

Sounds like a good plan Joe. Interesting that you and I posted to the same thread about walnut projects (#236 above) we just started and we both got the lumber from Dan. Small world here on line I guess. I've been buying from him for several years now and he goes out of his way to show me the "good stuff". Great guy. I picked up these 4 slabs a couple of weeks ago along with some cherry and some poplar for the dresser and a beautiful 6' piece of 8/4 x 8" clear walnut for $8/bf.

Derek Cohen
11-29-2020, 8:43 AM
Mike, you're likely right that this tool cabinet will add a goodly bit of weight to the bench :)

Well, this is about the fourth mitred through dovetail case I've built in about 18 months. I must be getting the hang of it now, since this was straight off the saw. No tweaking needed. The wood is Merbau, which is hard and has no give at all ... did I tell you that I love that I can re-fresh my chisels on the power buffer? What a different it makes to chop and pare with really sharp chisels.

https://i.postimg.cc/5Njv38r1/8.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/d3NCF0Lz/9.jpg

Just to prove to myself that it was no fluke, it happened again ...

https://i.postimg.cc/QCd7v7xQ/10.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8kZMMZtt/11.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ben Ellenberger
11-29-2020, 11:49 AM
Derek,

I’m enjoying following your build of the tool chest. I’ve got a somewhat related question about your bench. How stable does it feel when you put weight on the tail vise end?

My current bench is under 5’ long, and I’ve thought a 6’6” long bench with a bench crafted tail vise would be really nice for the kind of things I like to make. I think yours is about that long.

When I sketch out a 6’6” bench with ~18” overhang for the tail vise, it looks like a long overhang. A rough estimate shows that it would take over 200 lbs down at the tail vise end to tip the bench, so I think it would be ok, but it would be nice to get some confirmation.

Derek Cohen
11-29-2020, 6:52 PM
Ben, the bench is extremely stable. The base is hefty, and Jarrah.

https://i.postimg.cc/BbzJ0mKB/0-F73-AA5-C-062-C-480-E-93-FF-5-EDF6-EC04-B83.png

Note that all I have are stub tenons. Just enough to locate the 3 1/2” thick European Oak top. That is heavy too.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ben Ellenberger
11-29-2020, 9:37 PM
Thanks, it’s nice to get that confirmation. I did a rough estimate for a 24” x 6’6” bench with a three inch top and got a total bench weight of around 200+ lb for hard maple, before you add any hardware. Every extra inch in top thickness adds about 40 pounds. It seems like that should be pretty solid.

of course, then I go back and forth and think that I’m getting by ok now without a tail vise, so maybe the extra hassle of adding one isn’t worth it...

Derek Cohen
11-29-2020, 10:23 PM
Ben, this is a personal choice. You can get by without a tail vise. I use mine all the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Christopher Charles
11-29-2020, 11:02 PM
Hi Derek,

The chest looks great. Curious-your plan for drawers does not include any shallow drawers to hold chisels and measuring tools and such. Will those remain elsewhere or will you have trays in the drawers?

Best,
Chris

Derek Cohen
11-30-2020, 12:43 AM
Thanks Chris.

My plan is to reduce the number of drawers by building in sliding trays. That will not only lessen the build time, but also lower the clutter and enable tools to be grouped together.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Christopher Charles
11-30-2020, 2:08 AM
Nice, will look forward to seeing your progress and design. I suspect your progress will be faster than mine...I've been working on a tool chest for a couple years now!

steven c newman
11-30-2020, 1:26 PM
Well, apparently....I MUST be working on something...bench is filled up..
When and resawed all the Ash scraps worth saving....
1/2" thick and some thinner stuff...
Jointed a few edges....for a glue up...
or..4..

Have to wait and see just WHAT will happen with these.....finger joints, by hand? A tray....couple of handles? Some sort of lid?

Might be another "Build-along" thread in the works?

We'll see.....

Derek Cohen
12-06-2020, 9:14 AM
A little update.

All four sides are dovetailed. Through dovetails with mitres at each corner. And every one went together off the saw ... well, almost - one mitre required a smidgeon of a mm pared away to close tightly. All tight and square. I am quite chuffed.

https://i.postimg.cc/Rh99nGt9/13.jpg

This is the difficult part - to get the mitres to close along with the sockets ...

https://i.postimg.cc/xjy9SDrd/15.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/X7s3pfYS/14.jpg

Inside the bench ...

https://i.postimg.cc/T19xjmjb/16.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/65WtWjwf/17.jpg

I am not sure if anyone here wants another tool chest build. Let me know if you are interested in creating a separate thread. It is being recorded on my website.

Regards from Perth

Derek