PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article About A Long Time Nakashima Worker Retiring

Jim Becker
08-17-2020, 8:21 AM
Interesting Article About A Long Time Nakashima Worker Retiring...this popped up this morning in my local news feed.

https://buckscountyherald.com/after-years-as-a-nakashima-woodworker-gerald-everett-is-laying-down-hi-p5532-175.htm?fbclid=IwAR27VrjaISJMQt_x3yx7acGp1M2JDdtq3 PSATaBXKWw-PL7oN8h7jETkorw

Matt Day
08-17-2020, 9:05 AM
Thanks for sharing Jim. Must have been a rough time after George died, mourning and trying to keep the business going.

Brian Tymchak
08-17-2020, 1:15 PM
Good stuff. Nice to read something with a feel good perspective a change.

Thanks for the post.

Jim Becker
08-17-2020, 5:20 PM
I was blessed with the opportunity to have a "full tour" of the facility a number of years ago compliments of the local Michener Art Museum and a fund-raiser they held. The normal tours only touch a little bit of things; we got access to pretty much every building on the huge (and beautiful) property including the material barns and got to fondle a whole lot of stuff made by "the man" himself. Mira led that tour and her brother Kevin helped. I probably met the man in the article at that time, but don't recall him specifically. But I absolutely am jealous of his long time there with all that beautiful wood and craftsmanship.

Andrew Hughes
08-17-2020, 6:00 PM
How do they keep all those flitches and boules from getting infested with bugs.
Every tree I’ve harvested it’s a battle with beetles.
It’s a impressive wood stash.

Jeff Bartley
08-18-2020, 8:08 AM
Thanks for sharing this Jim! I've been planning a SE PA trip in my head for years now. The Nakashima studio is on the list as is Wharton Eshericks too.

Between seeing friends and family, lumber suppliers, woodworking studios, and mountain biking trails I think I'd need a week and a half!

Jim Becker
08-18-2020, 9:29 AM
Jeff, I hope you do visit this area when you have the opportunity. Both the Nakashima compound and the Esherick museum are totally worthy. There's a "natural edge" floor in the latter's kitchen which is eye opening, to my memory. I live about 5 miles from the former.

Mark Hennebury
08-18-2020, 9:57 AM
Thanks Jim, that was an interesting read. Not many people have worked at the same place for 50 years. Must have been great place to work. serious stack of lumber ! I have often wanted to visit.