PDA

View Full Version : Good wood pairing with white oak?

Jay Aubuchon
08-16-2020, 9:28 PM
I will be making a Stickley 110 (http://www.headheartandhand.com/headheartandhand/ljg110.html) nightstand for one of our daughters. If I used white oak as the primary wood, but wanted something else for the side panels, what would look good with the white oak?

Full disclosure: I may end up with cherry as the primary wood, with curly maple for the panels. But the oak is definitely in play.

Christopher Herzog
08-16-2020, 10:05 PM
Walnut is one of my main choices. Deer antlers are walnut, body is maple on white oak439173

Bill Carey
08-17-2020, 11:30 AM
I would probably go with something lighter - plain maple in a natural finish. But taking the maple up the entire side panel might be too much. I might think about a Mackintosh - ish negative space in the lower part of the side panel, but with the maple sandwiched between 2 thin QSWO panels. So the interior could be all QSWO but the outside has this nice detail / geometric shape / pattern that shows the maple - or whatever accent wood you decide on.

james glenn
08-19-2020, 1:29 PM
I prefer walnut with white oak as well. The contract appeals to me.

Chip Byrd
08-21-2020, 11:39 AM
Although you didn’t mention this combination, I have found ash and cherry to be very pleasing together.

Rob Luter
08-21-2020, 1:31 PM
In the context of your project, perhaps not a good fit, but I've seen Walnut used as an accent wood with white oak and it really looks nice. This is with the White Oak left natural.

Jay Aubuchon
08-21-2020, 8:44 PM
I do like the contrast black walnut offers when used for relatively small accents. I have my doubts about using it for the entire side panels. I might play with Bill’s idea.

If we decide to go with cherry as the primary wood, I will take a look at ash as a possible alternative to maple. I do have a little ash on hand.

Thanks!

Rob Luter
08-22-2020, 3:25 AM
I do like the contrast black walnut offers when used for relatively small accents. I have my doubts about using it for the entire side panels. I might play with Bill’s idea.

If we decide to go with cherry as the primary wood, I will take a look at ash as a possible alternative to maple. I do have a little ash on hand.

Thanks!

Walnut looks nice with Cherry too (example below). But I'm not sure about using it for the entire side panels.

https://live.staticflickr.com/7877/33250000798_e07775c9ca_b.jpg

Another option would be to go all White Oak and prefinish the end panels for a different look. Perhaps fume them prior to assembly and finishing so they wind up darker to contrast the rest of the piece. Or do the opposite. Here's a little box I made where all the wood except the panels was fumed prior to assembly.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49773664528_97ed0a66be_b.jpg

Tom Bender
08-22-2020, 11:47 AM
If you find that piece kinda oppressive you could lighten it up by making the panels from poplar and either painting them or carving something into them. A little creativity can make the piece.