PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
08-16-2020, 8:18 PM
17 Aug 2020

Greetings,
Spent a lot of time working at the day job this week. I'm glad to still be working and made it through the recent round of layoffs. Worked in the yard a bit, in the garden a bit, and pruned up some trees that needed attention. Cooked out with family on Saturday, help #2 son move from his room to a larger bedroom in the house. He's happier now and has more room. He's working full time with a local HVACR company and he's doing really well with them. He doesn't enjoy the hot attic work but in general, he likes his job.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
08-16-2020, 8:25 PM
Busy week for me...the room renovation is moving right along. Last window is in. Paint is complete. New floor is laid. Now it's time for a LOT of sanding. But the end result is going to be really nice.

Current state:

What the floor will look like when I'm done with it...

Phil Mueller
08-17-2020, 7:38 AM
Dennis, glad you made it through the layoffs...trying times for many these days. Jim, that renovation is looking really nice. Time to tune into some great 60’s rock and roll and sand away.

I’ve been finishing up the reclaimed pine siding table for friends. Letting the finish cure a bit, then wax, then deliver. For being reclaimed, not a bad outcome. Hoping they will like it.

Lisa Starr
08-17-2020, 1:04 PM
Dennis - Glad you survived the layoffs. Jim - Room is looking great. Phil - I really like the table you made.

Worked at our son's home again this weekend. Thankfully, it was good weather, as we stripped the siding off the upper half of both gable ends, made repairs to the sheeting, installed new construction windows and re-attached the siding. We also had to install 4 new construction windows on a shed style dormer, but that had the siding removed prior and will be receiving new siding in the coming weeks.

As for my shop time, I'll be embarking on building a "mid century modern" vanity for the son's home during this coming week.. I'm thinking it will be fun as it will stretch my skill set. It will have a sliding door on one half and inset drawer stack on the other.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Charles Taylor
08-17-2020, 2:58 PM
I've been making progress on the bar I'm building atop an old factory cart.

At the moment the project is serving as its own workbench as I glue up and trim up the top.

Paul F Franklin
08-17-2020, 9:58 PM
Finished all the painting in the home office, except for the french doors; no hurry there. Removed enough of the old flooring to allow me to install the built-ins. Now I'm working on the bases for the cabinets and a few other misc filler pieces etc, that will be needed for the install. Normally, I would have removed all the old flooring before doing any painting, etc, but that would have required taking everything out of the room. Once the built-ins are installed, most of what is on various shelves and bookcases in the room can be moved to the built-ins, and it will be a lot easier to move the rest of the stuff out to finish the floor.

Since I took the operating window sashes out for painting, and I replaced the crank operators and other hardware, I decided to try to replace all the weather stripping too. Was able to find the exact leaf weatherstrip from a place called Reflect Window and Door in Canada (Swisco didn't have it) so I ordered a bunch, which arrived today. The old stripping didn't look that bad, but now that I have new, it's obvious the old was really compressed. I'll install that and then I can reinstall the sashes. Hopefully the paint will have cured enough by now that the sash won't stick. I'll probably wax the areas that touch as a little extra insurance.

Other than the usual outdoor chores, that's about it for me.