PDA

View Full Version : Reward for a good deed

Jason Buresh
08-16-2020, 6:11 PM
My neighbor came over yesterday in a panic because she was having problems with her water heater. She is up there in age and lives by herself and she was worried about gas leaking. Unfortunately her heater was beyond a simple repair and needs to be replaced but I was able to get the water and gas shut off for her until the plumber can replace it, but she generously gave me some of her uncles old tools.

I didn't need another brace, but the extra bits are never bad and the socket chisel will clean up nicely.

I kept insisting she didn't need to pay me anything but when she offered tools I couldn't resist.

Jim Koepke
08-16-2020, 6:47 PM
It is good karma to be nice to older folks.

Any makers marks on the brace, bits or chisel?

Sometimes it is nice to have an extra brace or two.

jtk

Jason Buresh
08-16-2020, 8:19 PM
The auger bits are keen kutter and Irwin's. I believe the brace may be a keen kutter as well. It has the same paint or finish as the keen kutter bits. The chisel is a Craftsman when they were still made in the USA

Jim Koepke
08-17-2020, 10:18 AM
The auger bits are keen kutter and Irwin's. I believe the brace may be a keen kutter as well. It has the same paint or finish as the keen kutter bits. The chisel is a Craftsman when they were still made in the USA

Thanks for the reply Jason.

Some of my chisels are Craftsman. They cut wood just like others.

jtk

Mike Allen1010
08-17-2020, 8:13 PM
Jason, I admire your Karmic good deed - Nothin' better than helping someone in need ! As an older hand tool hoarder myself, I can only hope someone young and able to come to aid in a time of need. If they're a woodworker I'm pretty sure the "tool reward" might be pleasantly surprising.

Cheers, mike

Jason Buresh
08-18-2020, 11:03 AM
Old folks are the best. Most have lots of great stories and wisdom to share for those who are willing to listen. Even if the stories are a little exaggerated, I still like to hear about the good old days.

Unfortunately my generation of "millennials" is more worried about social media and avocado toast than they are about Grandpa's stories. But I enjoy being able to have a conversation with someone that doesn't need a smartphone to do it.

My grandfather is the best. I spent a lot of time with him up at the cabin learning to build things and how to hunt and fish. I always love hearing his stories from his days in the Navy. I'm lucky to still have him around today, and even in his 80's he is still going strong.

mike stenson
08-18-2020, 11:10 AM
I have three kids Jason, one millennial and two 'Gen-Zers'. I think ya'll get too much of a bum wrap. Much like we did (Gen-X). Plenty of the kids I know in both of these age groups are fine, caring, human beings. Actually, most are. I think ya'll just don't hear it enough.

Northeast? Like past Spooner? ;)

Jason Buresh
08-18-2020, 11:21 AM
Mike,

Thanks! I know quite a few people my age that are good, hardworking caring people, but I know quite a few that aren't. But I suppose if you look at any demographic you will find that.

And Spooner is northwest. I am closer to Green Bay. While Green Bay isn't far north, it's still considering Northeast Wisconsin.

mike stenson
08-18-2020, 11:24 AM
And Spooner is northwest. I am closer to Green Bay. While Green Bay isn't far north, it's still considering Northeast Wisconsin.

Sorry, I used to live in Superior. Spooner is about where I start to consider it 'north'.. or is that Nohrdt? So I'm being snarky.

Jason Buresh
08-18-2020, 11:33 AM
It's spelled "Nort" round here. Of course, remember there is a difference between "Up Nort" and "Da UP"

mike stenson
08-18-2020, 11:45 AM
Yep, although the h and d are pronounced ;) Da yoopers dey are a different breed, ya der hey.

Jason Buresh
08-18-2020, 11:52 AM
I have to imagine there is someone in California or Texas scratching their head at this thread right now

Tony Wilkins
08-18-2020, 11:55 AM
I have to imagine there is someone in California or Texas scratching their head at this thread right now
Not scratching my head but my mental conversations are in a bad accent gleaned from ‘80’s tv and movies about that area.

Jason Buresh
08-18-2020, 11:58 AM
If I had to sum it up we sound basically Canadian except for the way we pronounce "about"

mike stenson
08-18-2020, 11:59 AM
Not scratching my head but my mental conversations are in a bad accent gleaned from ‘80’s tv and movies about that area.

:D

When I first met my wife, and actually for many years.. she insisted I did not have a Wisconsin accent.. then I got drunk with my cousins..

Yea, it can be about that bad :D

Tony Wilkins
08-18-2020, 1:26 PM
Everything I know about that accent I learned from Edie McClurg on Valerie/Hogan Family.

Jim Koepke
08-18-2020, 1:40 PM
Old folks are the best. Most have lots of great stories and wisdom to share for those who are willing to listen. Even if the stories are a little exaggerated, I still like to hear about the good old days.
[edited]
My grandfather is the best. I spent a lot of time with him up at the cabin learning to build things and how to hunt and fish. I always love hearing his stories from his days in the Navy. I'm lucky to still have him around today, and even in his 80's he is still going strong.

Then you would be scratching your own head when you hear someone from parts of Northern California say, "It ain't jus shy sluggin gorms nemier."

(Comment about Oatmeal Stout from a brewery in Boonville translated to: "it's not just for breakfast anymore."

On Grandpas:

jtk

Jason Buresh
08-18-2020, 2:22 PM
Some people these days spend so much time with fancy sonar and side imaging crap that they forget to put their line in the water. If I wanted to watch TV I would have turned on the outdoor channel. People have fished successfully for thousands of years without electronics.

And you right, I have no clue what you said. Thanks for clarifying.

Jason Buresh
08-18-2020, 9:06 PM
So my neighbor stopped by again tonight with some more goodies. There was a divider, a folding rule with a 1917 patent date and sweetheart logo, a scratch awl, and a very old screwdriver.

There is a handmade hard maple cutting board in the clamps right now that will be going her way. Just put the no5 away from jointing the edges, and will smooth the faces and chamfer edges tomorrow and finish with butcher block oil. Hopefully it will be enough of a thank you.