PDA

View Full Version : microjig gripper

jeff oldham
08-16-2020, 3:53 PM
i know everyone has there own option of the gripper and i will say customer service is great,,,but i have one i bought at amazon,,about a year ago and havent used it much and the reason why is because it does not grip the wood ,,i call it the slipper,,,,i even called microjig and they told me to clean it with denatured alcohol,,which i did but it didnt help it a bit,,but i will say microjig has great customer service,,they sent me the leveling blocks that attach to the back free,,,but still all in all,,it is supposed to work as stated on their advertisements,,,i cant speak for everyone else,,,but i hate this thing,,i only wish i had my 59.00 back,,,,,

Robert Hayward
08-16-2020, 4:58 PM
I have four of the Grippers, two at the jointer and two at the table saw. A quick cleaning always restores the grip on mine. With that said if $59 was all I had ever spent on tools and gadgets for the shop I ended up not liking I would consider myself very lucky.

George Bokros
08-16-2020, 5:08 PM
I have both the Gripper and and the Gripblock. Both work as advertised. Cleaning with denaturated alcohol always restores the grip for mine.

Frank Pratt
08-16-2020, 6:15 PM
If the saw guard & good push blocks are used, I see little use for a GRR-Ripper. And it actually prevents the use of the guard in many cases. If my saw didn't have a decent guard though, I'd certainly have one or two.

Robert Hayward
08-16-2020, 6:34 PM
If the saw guard & good push blocks are used, I see little use for a GRR-Ripper. And it actually prevents the use of the guard in many cases. If my saw didn't have a decent guard though, I'd certainly have one or two.

The guard that came with my PM2000 is still in its wrapper sitting on a shelf out in the barn. I prefer to use push sticks or the Gripper.

Richard Coers
08-16-2020, 6:43 PM
Why not post it on the classifieds? Lots of people love them. But might have been easier to sell if you hadn't bad mouthed it first. LOL

Stan Calow
08-16-2020, 6:50 PM
the GRR-Grip Block works best for me, even on the table saw. But I have limited use for the GRR-Ripper.

ChrisA Edwards
08-16-2020, 6:57 PM
I must admit, the green grippy part doesn't seems to grip that well.

When I use mine, rarely, I have two, I mostly use it where the drop down stops will engage the end of my workpiece, so that is what pushes the work piece through the operation.

I do like them on my jointer, when jointing a wide flat side. Here I use two to keep the pressure on, fore and aft, of the cutter.

I prefer my homemade, sacrificial, push stick for use on my table saw.

Tom M King
08-16-2020, 8:10 PM
I use mine mainly for cutting really narrow parts, that the thinnest push stick is too wide for. The 1/8" leg stays on it all the time. I think my thinnest push stick is about 1/4". It's cut some number of hundreds of parts. The only cleaning I've ever done to mine is wipe it off on my jeans leg.

Neither my saw top, insert, nor fence have much friction though, and it's set to cut dead true, fence to blade. I wonder where the friction is coming from, to make it hard to push something through. The saw top gets treated with CRC 3.36 once in a while, but I have never waxed it.

I use the ones for the jointer all the time too. They do have the drop down thing on the back, but get used a lot for pushing a flat board before it gets to the point where I can use those drop down pushers.

Bruce Page
08-16-2020, 9:06 PM
Jeff, before you give up on it, try giving it a swipe or two across some 150 grit paper and see if that helps. I haven’t had any problems with the 2 I have.

None of us has money to burn.

Larry Frank
08-17-2020, 7:28 AM
It is amazing the passion for and against the Gripper.

I have two of them and use them a lot. I find the ergonomics much better for my arthritic hands. No, I do not have money to burn.