PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to buy arm-r-seal

Josh Goldsmith
12-30-2005, 8:32 PM
If have read alot of post about different topcoats and one name keeps getting said. General Finishes Arm-r-Seal. So where is the best place to buy this. I am thinking about buying it in the gallon cause it will be cheaper in the long run. Also can you apply this with a brush or does it need to be sprayed. In between coats do you use steel wool or nothing. Any tips to achieve the best finish would be appreciative. Thanks Josh

Bob Noles
12-30-2005, 8:46 PM
Josh,

Actually it is a wipe on finish and requires several coats to be effective. It is some really good stuff. I usually buff lightly with steel wood before the last coat only and that has worked well for me.

There are many suppliers out there that carry it and I cannot remember which one I got it from, but someone else can answer that part of your question.

Lee DeRaud
12-30-2005, 8:52 PM
I get it at Rockler, but I suspect there are cheaper places...just none closer to my house.:p It's got a shelf life though: unless you're going to make a bunch of really big furniture, think "quarts" not "gallons". (I get the pints myself, but most of my projects can be picked up with one hand.)

Like Bob says, wipe-on: those Scott "Rags-in-a-Box" work great for this.

Jim Becker
12-30-2005, 9:09 PM
Do not buy finish in a larger container than you can use relatively quickly...once opened, many finishes will deteriorate, some in a matter of only a few weeks to a month or two. That means the big container is more expensive than the smaller ones...throwing out finish raises your cost per oz of what actually gets used.

Chris Livingston
12-31-2005, 1:20 AM
Rockler has it on sale in their latest mailer. Great stuff; use it all the time.

Dan Forman
12-31-2005, 3:17 AM
Do a google search for General Finishes, go to their site and do a dealer search. You might be able to find it in your hometown. They sell to a lot of unfinsished furniture stores. Find it locally and you save the shipping.

Dan

Dave Avery
12-31-2005, 8:11 AM
Woodcraft also carries General finishes......

Mike Cutler
12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Josh. I buy the Arm-R-Seal at the local Woodcraft. There is another product from General Finishes that can be used as a flood coat. It is called Seal-A-Cell. good stuff.
My typical application goes somethimg like this.
1. Apply flood coat.(Seal-A-Cell)
2. Lightly sand with 150 or 180 grit.
3. Apply first coat of Arm-R-Seal.
4. Lightly sand with 180 grit.
5. Apply second coat of Arm-R-Seal
6. Lightly sand with a 220 grit sanding sponge.
7. Apply third coat of Arm-R-Seal
8. Lightly sand with 320 sanding sponge
9. Apply coat of Arm-R-Seal and sand or buff as required.

I apply the flood coat with a White 3M pad and really work it into the material.
I usually wait at least 24 hours in between coats, and the final coat I wait a bit longer.
Arm-R-Seal is a wiping varnish. Use light coats for the finishing process to avoid puddling or running.
It is a nice product. that gives really good results without having to know a lot about finishing, and believe me when I say I need all the help I can get in this facet of woodworking. Is there a book "Finishing Fine Furniture for Dummies" there really needs to be one. I'd be the first buyer.;)
Allow a good 5-7 days after all finish work for the "full cure" In my experience the finish stays a little"soft" for awhile.

One more thing to remember. Neither of these products have UV inhibitors in them, to the best of my knowledge. If the final project will see a lot of direct sunlight, this will need to be addressed.

Howard Acheson
12-31-2005, 2:46 PM
Arm R Seal is a thinned wiping varnish. While designed to be wiped on, it can also be brushed. If you want to brush, the manufacture recommends foam brushes but any good bristle brush will work also. Because it is highly thinned, you can get drips if you brush it on. Also, again because it is thinned, you need to apply more coats that you would if you used a full strength varnish.

Nothing special about the Arm R Seal either. You can make your own clone by using you favorite varnish or poly varnish and mixing it 50/50 with mineral spirits or naphtha.