PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for a mirror stand

joe webb
08-15-2020, 2:28 PM
Hello all,

I have been searching around Youtube and couldn't find something suitable and hope the gurus here have some cool ideas for a mirror stand.
My daughter is doing physical therapy and she needs a long portable mirror that can be moved around the room.
The tricky part is the mirror is used in both vertical and horizontal positions. Vertical for exercises in sitting or standing position and horizontal (close to the floor) for exercises laying on the floor.

I am looking for a way to flip the mirror and avoid having 2 mirrors due to space limitation. Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks much

Lee Schierer
08-15-2020, 2:50 PM
Here is one idea. Make a mirror like this:
With a third cross piece at the top on one side. Then either stand it up or lay it down. You may not even need the leg at the top. Just lay the mirror on its side.

Bradley Gray
08-15-2020, 3:02 PM
What about a large wall mounted mirror like a dance studio?

Paul F Franklin
08-15-2020, 3:28 PM
Some picture frames have a kick back stand that is angled toward one corner so the frame can be used in portrait or landscape orientation. Maybe it would work for your mirror. Here's a small pic of an example:

Mel Fulks
08-15-2020, 4:53 PM
"Cheval mirror" would be good. Just looked them up ,crazy expensive! I would use Lees's design ,or just buy one one of
those plastic light weight closest door things.

joe webb
08-15-2020, 7:59 PM
What about a large wall mounted mirror like a dance studio?

We don't have a dedicated space for her exercises. We have furniture along the walls.

Osvaldo Cristo
08-16-2020, 1:48 PM
I would go to a retangular mirror and a simple non slippery molding. When used vertically support it against a wall and the floor with the smaller dimension. When used horizontally, support it by the bigger dimensions.

It is not fancy but looks me functional and easy.

joe webb
08-16-2020, 2:09 PM
I would go to a retangular mirror and a simple non slippery molding. When used vertically support it against a wall and the floor with the smaller dimension. When used horizontally, support it by the bigger dimensions.

It is not fancy but looks me functional and easy.

Hi Osvaldo, I did not understand your idea. What does the molding looks like?
Thank you

joe webb
08-16-2020, 2:11 PM
Here is one idea. Make a mirror like this:

With a third cross piece at the top on one side. Then either stand it up or lay it down. You may not even need the leg at the top. Just lay the mirror on its side.

Thanks Lee. That looks super easy to do and I saw one like this on Etsy for a whooping $160. Is there a formula to determine the size of the 2 legs to achieve enough balance respectively to the height of the mirror?

Keith Outten
08-16-2020, 2:29 PM
I would re-frame the mirror using aluminum frame. The aluminum framing material is very strong and since it has a track built-in all the way around the back of the frame you can connect just about any type of hanger or stand at any point you prefer. If you live in my area I can help you out, I have a truck load of 12 foot sticks of aluminum framing material in most colors I got from a frame shop that went out of business.

I have three of the 12 by 48 inch mirrors in my shop today re-framing them for family members.

Stan Calow
08-16-2020, 7:00 PM
How about making it like a box with a hinged lid, with hinges on the long edge. Open it up vertically and it stands on one side. Turned horizontal, and the lid acts as a base. This way, when closed, the lid also protects the mirror in transport.

Jim Matthews
08-16-2020, 8:19 PM
Off the beaten track...

https://www.standsandmounts.com/premiermounts360degreeuniversalrotationalmountfor3 7-80inchdisplaysrtm-l.aspx

Derek Meyer
08-19-2020, 5:35 PM
You could build an easel type stand for the mirror, where it leans against the stand for support, and simply rotate the mirror to whichever orientation is needed. Put the easel on castors and roll it around if you need to. If you want it to be mostly vertical and are worried about it falling over, put some metal plates on the back of the mirror and some rare-earth magnets in the stand to lock it at each orientation. Then it will be secure but still easily movable.

I thought about something like a TV or monitor arm that can rotate, but anything heavy-duty enough to support a mirror that large is going to be expensive.