PDA

View Full Version : Shavings on the floor

Tom Bender
08-15-2020, 8:08 AM
I just sweep them under the bench. The split top helps with that, and the vinyl floor. Push broom, dustpan and brush, quick and quiet.

Todd Zucker
08-15-2020, 8:22 AM
Nice bench. What kind of vise is that?

David Eisenhauer
08-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Great legs baby!

Tony Wilkins
08-15-2020, 12:25 PM
Great legs baby!
Think you’re going to have to go down and talk to HR.

Jim Koepke
08-15-2020, 1:03 PM
Great legs baby!

Ditto.

Tom may just be showing off his fine looking bench.

There are usually more shavings than that on my floor after sharpening from setting up a plane blade.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
08-15-2020, 4:02 PM
I am retired, so the possibility of visits to HR are now no longer a part of my daily life. My own conscience has replaced HR as a moderator of my own life and it is wrapped way, way looser than the wrapped-way-to-tight beings at all of the HR's in my past. Question? Why do all HR's see themselves as sitting next to the Right Hand of God (president) and think that they trump project managers (revenue generators in the food chain)?

Jim Koepke
08-15-2020, 5:07 PM
Question? Why do all HR's see themselves as sitting next to the Right Hand of God (president) and think that they trump project managers (revenue generators in the food chain)?

It is often like this in business hierarchy. If a department makes their system more efficient, they may not need all of their employees or more assets (funding). The bean counters are always looking for more beans to count. This may be half the reason many companies run with archaic systems. Though there is always someone scheming to promote their own agenda…

THERE ONCE WAS A PLAN

In the beginning there was a plan
And the plan begat the assumptions
Yet the plan was without substance
And the Assumptions were without form
A darkness was upon the face of the working mass
And they spoke amongst themselves, saying,
“This is a crock of $#!+, and it stinketh”
And the workers conferred with their Supervisors and said verily,
“It is a pail of dung, and none may abide the odor thereof”
And it came to pass that the Supervisors visited the Managers , saying,
“It is a container of excrement of such strength that
none may abide by it”
And the Managers greeted their Directors, saying,
“It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength“
And the Directors spoke amongst themselves, saying one to another,
“It contains that which aids plant growth, and it is very strong”
And the Directors said onto the Vice President,
“It promotes the growth of our plants, and its strength is unchallenged”
And the Vice President embraced the President, saying,
“The plan will promote growth and vigor
within the company, with effects most powerful”
And the President looked upon the Plan, and saw that it was good
And the Plan became Policy
And this is how $#!+ happens

jtk

Thomas Wilson
08-15-2020, 5:20 PM
It is often like this in business hierarchy. If a department makes their system more efficient, they may not need all of their employees or more assets (funding). The bean counters are always looking for more beans to count. This may be half the reason many companies run with archaic systems. Though there is always someone scheming to promote their own agenda…

THERE ONCE WAS A PLAN

In the beginning there was a plan
And the plan begat the assumptions
Yet the plan was without substance
And the Assumptions were without form
A darkness was upon the face of the working mass
And they spoke amongst themselves, saying,
“This is a crock of $#!+, and it stinketh”
And the workers conferred with their Supervisors and said verily,
“It is a pail of dung, and none may abide the odor thereof”
And it came to pass that the Supervisors visited the Managers , saying,
“It is a container of excrement of such strength that
none may abide by it”
And the Managers greeted their Directors, saying,
“It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength“
And the Directors spoke amongst themselves, saying one to another,
“It contains that which aids plant growth, and it is very strong”
And the Directors said onto the Vice President,
“It promotes the growth of our plants, and its strength is unchallenged”
And the Vice President embraced the President, saying,
“The plan will promote growth and vigor
within the company, with effects most powerful”
And the President looked upon the Plan, and saw that it was good
And the Plan became Policy
And this is how $#!+ happens

jtk
Verily, I laugheth.

Andrew Hughes
08-15-2020, 8:23 PM
Cool bench Tom I like it.

Erich Weidner
08-15-2020, 9:39 PM
I just sweep them under the bench. The split top helps with that, and the vinyl floor. Push broom, dustpan and brush, quick and quiet.

I had been sweeping them into a pile then using the cyclone dust collector to get them up. Then I realized that I need to re mulch the front planting bed... so I started sweeping them up and depositing there.
Then the lawn crew (who spot weed said planting bed) decided it must be garbage and cleaned it all up. ...I tried.

steven c newman
08-15-2020, 11:37 PM
usually, all the shavings I get will wind up in the 35 gal. trash can.....when full, it gets hauled upstairs, and out to the firepit.....usually all the cardboard boxes as well.....put the wire lid on, and light it up...also, any un-usable scraps go along....and up in smoke.

Tom M King
08-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Nice bench, and practical floor!! I'm wondering about that handwheel under the top though.

When working in the basement of this old house, we put down plastic, and then Masonite on top of that. When we left, we didn't have to clean the brick floor underneath-just folded the taped together plastic sheeting, and folded it in. This was between cleanings while working.

Anuj Prateek
08-16-2020, 11:54 PM
I had been sweeping them into a pile then using the cyclone dust collector to get them up. Then I realized that I need to re mulch the front planting bed... so I started sweeping them up and depositing there.
Then the lawn crew (who spot weed said planting bed) decided it must be garbage and cleaned it all up. ...I tried.

I did that in my previous house. Was the simplest way to get rid of planer chips. I laid down a layer 2" thick and topped with 1" regular mulch. Kept weed away for over a year. It was all Doug fir chips from my bench build.

Said that be careful where you put them. They are a fire hazard in summers. Thin shavings dry super quickly and burn even more quickly.

Andrew Seemann
08-17-2020, 12:07 AM
I use the tool well for shavings. I don't like a lot of shavings on the floor; those things burn like gunpowder.

Jeff Ranck
08-17-2020, 9:25 AM
I'm more interested in the vinyl floor and how that works. I've been thinking of vinyl over my concrete floor but wondered if it would be too slick and whether the few, very heavy power tools I have on mobile bases/castors would dent the vinyl.

Tom Bender
08-18-2020, 1:47 PM
The vise is custom and part of the bench. Here is another pic of the top and one from below.

Removable jaws with leather faces

400 pounds

3" thick Maple top

No racking

Adjusts to slight angles left and right

No handles on the front to grab me by the shorts when planing

Opens 44"

Crushing power but as gentle as a lion

Jim, thanks for the excellent poem.