PDA

View Full Version : Airtight clamps for my slider set up

Bryan Hunt
08-14-2020, 9:38 PM
I got my Airtight clamps set up on my Hammer K4 Perform tonight. They are pricy and they are awesome.

Mark e Kessler
08-14-2020, 10:25 PM
They are sweet, hard to see the value until you own them. I built my own version and use them all the time

regards, mark
https://www.instagram.com/kessler_woodworks/?hl=en

Tom Bain
08-15-2020, 6:53 PM
Very nice ... do you have air plumbed in the shop or are the clamps hooked up to a dedicated compressor?

Bryan Hunt
08-17-2020, 9:24 AM
I have the air plumbed in the shop. I have a temporary hose over to the regulator for the clamps. I'll probably make it more permanent next weekend.

Jared Sankovich
08-17-2020, 9:50 AM
They are sweet, hard to see the value until you own them. I built my own version and use them all the time

regards, mark

Curious where you sourced the 1/4 turn valve. Everything else it easy to find off the shelf but those.

Dave Cav
08-17-2020, 2:02 PM
What does a set cost? No info on their web site.

Brad Shipton
08-17-2020, 3:27 PM
Jared, the cylinder Mac uses comes with the valve mounted. He has some customization, but it is a name brand he is dealing with. I bought my first one from Mac, and had a machinist build the parts needed for a second one that does not get used as often.

Awesome clamps and likely the most used accessory in my shop.

Mike King
08-17-2020, 7:54 PM
Email mac and ask for a quote. They are pretty expensive but I can’t imagine being without them. Mac is running a sale at the moment.

Mark e Kessler
08-17-2020, 9:17 PM
its a bimba cylinder and you order it with the valve, the master cylinder has some customization done to it

Curious where you sourced the 1/4 turn valve. Everything else it easy to find off the shelf but those.

Mark e Kessler
08-17-2020, 9:18 PM
Depending but around $2800

What does a set cost? No info on their web site.

Jeff Bartley
08-18-2020, 7:47 AM
Depending but around $2800

About how much do they cost to build your own?

David Zaret
08-18-2020, 7:51 AM
after buying my slider, i waited a few years before investing in mac's clamps. it seemed like a luxury at the time. now i have his clamps on the slider, and on the shaper, and they are absolutely critical hardware to the operation of both machines. i shouldn't have waited.

---dz

Mark e Kessler
08-18-2020, 8:36 AM
oops, read that wrong about 1k plus some custom machining for the base and a bushing. After making them I can tell you that they are worth the $2800, mine do not have the ability to tilt in and do not have a thrust bearing on the kipp to base slider connection which in my opinion is not needed.

About how much do they cost to build your own?

Jared Sankovich
08-18-2020, 8:50 AM
its a bimba cylinder and you order it with the valve, the master cylinder has some customization done to it

I dug through the bimba catalog last night and noticed them. Ive been using parker cylinders for all my pneumatics and had not seen that as a option from them. Good to know.

Erik Loza
08-18-2020, 9:05 AM
Bryan: AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

Erik

Brad Shipton
08-18-2020, 9:52 AM
Those looking to build their own might want to look thru the Rose Kreiger catalog too. They have many nice connectors to make a nice air clamp. https://www.rk-rose-krieger.com/english/

Jeff Bartley
08-19-2020, 11:43 AM
Thanks for this info guys, great resources!

Erik Loza
08-19-2020, 2:33 PM
A couple of of my local customers (aside from Bryan) have them on their machines. Mac's are the only ones I've really seen/played with in person and I can't imagine being able to DIY something anywhere near close. The tilting feature is huge.

Erik

Bert McMahan
08-19-2020, 2:49 PM
McMaster has some 90 degree air valves that look similar to the ones in the picture. They may be the same ones (McMaster doesn't list manufacturers on the website):

https://www.mcmaster.com/pneumatic-valves/two-action-air-directional-control-valves-11/

Mark e Kessler
08-19-2020, 4:21 PM
They sure can be done and be almost identical, it’s basic pneumatics the most difficult part is sourcing the parts. There are differences in mine, I didn’t do the tilt feature because It’s not necessary, and neither is the thrust bearing on the kip, my posts are bearing steel and the aluminum is not anodized, Mac’s clamps are very nice and have expensive details down to the medical air fittings but to say that a DIY solution is not near are nice is just not true.

You are welcome to search through my IG feed to see mine in action

A couple of of my local customers (aside from Bryan) have them on their machines. Mac's are the only ones I've really seen/played with in person and I can't imagine being able to DIY something anywhere near close. The tilting feature is huge.

Erik

Mark e Kessler
08-19-2020, 4:23 PM
not the same, they are built into the top of the bimba cylinder

McMaster has some 90 degree air valves that look similar to the ones in the picture. They may be the same ones (McMaster doesn't list manufacturers on the website):

https://www.mcmaster.com/pneumatic-valves/two-action-air-directional-control-valves-11/

derek labian
11-08-2021, 9:37 AM
These are an interesting accessory as the are "hand" made, and the only way to buy is to "inquire". I'm a bit nervous to see the pricing.

Jim Becker
11-08-2021, 10:08 AM
These are an interesting accessory as the are "hand" made, and the only way to buy is to "inquire". I'm a bit nervous to see the pricing.

I think there are a lot of specialty manufacturers who work that way. With materials costs swinging widely in recent times, that's also a challenge for a small shop posting static pricing. Folks who have bought these, however, seem to be very, very happy.

derek labian
11-08-2021, 1:13 PM
I wonder, anyone who installed these, did you need any extra parts or was everything included. Did anyone buy the home bases?

Kevin Jenness
11-08-2021, 1:36 PM
I got my Airtight clamps set up on my Hammer K4 Perform tonight. They are pricy and they are awesome.

Forget the clamps. What are the specs on your Roomba?

Pat Rice
11-08-2021, 2:33 PM
Derek, Mac includes everything needed except for the air compressor. I use a small air compressor from Lowes that is very quiet

derek labian
11-08-2021, 4:28 PM
Derek, Mac includes everything needed except for the air compressor. I use a small air compressor from Lowes that is very quiet

Hi Pat,

Did you buy the home base? Either way, have you seen a regular need for it?

Derek

Pat Rice
11-08-2021, 4:41 PM
Derek, I did receive 1 home base which was included in my purchase from Mac, I have not used it. Both of my clamps live on my slider although if you have a short slider I could see times where you might want to remove one clamp and the home base would be handy for that. If you haven't talked to Mac I would recommend doing so, really nice guy who makes an awesome high quality product.

Michael Schuch
11-08-2021, 5:49 PM
They sure can be done and be almost identical, it’s basic pneumatics the most difficult part is sourcing the parts. There are differences in mine, I didn’t do the tilt feature because It’s not necessary, and neither is the thrust bearing on the kip, my posts are bearing steel and the aluminum is not anodized, Mac’s clamps are very nice and have expensive details down to the medical air fittings but to say that a DIY solution is not near are nice is just not true.

You are welcome to search through my IG feed to see mine in action

Those look VERY cool! Exactly what I would love to have for my slider. I love professional/industrial tools but the price is always out of reach of my hobby budget. The Airtight clamps would cost many times what I paid for my sliding table saw. Do you have more details on your system in your instagram account? I might sign up for an instagram (ugh!) account if you do but if it is just video of them in action it probably won't be worth the instagram hassle.

derek labian
11-08-2021, 7:11 PM
Those look VERY cool! Exactly what I would love to have for my slider. I love professional/industrial tools but the price is always out of reach of my hobby budget. The Airtight clamps would cost many times what I paid for my sliding table saw. Do you have more details on your system in your instagram account? I might sign up for an instagram (ugh!) account if you do but if it is just video of them in action it probably won't be worth the instagram hassle.

They are sold by Mac, more details on his website, but you really need to email him for specific questions. He responds quickly.

https://mac-campshure.squarespace.com/products

Pat,

Yes I spoke with him, I just like to get other opinions. Thanks!

Mark e Kessler
11-08-2021, 9:10 PM

na not really, just lots of pics and vids of me monkeying around with them. They cost me about $900 to build minus the base and a bushing which I had a machinist at work make for some whiskey, Mac’s are I think around $2800 depending…

Jim OConnor
11-09-2021, 6:17 PM
The tilting feature on Mac’s clamps is very useful to push or pull your work tight against the cross cut fence. It helps prevent movement when the clamp extends. The OEM cam clamp is an example where if things aren’t exactly perpendicular, the wood can move. By setting the clamps at a slight angle, the wood stays tight against the reference fence.

one of the other nice things about Mac’s clamps is that it is very easy to use the clamps together or flip a switch and use them one at a time. The custom valves he uses allows police Kathy O’Connor g how you want them to operate separately or together.

they are particularly nice when handling larger work pieces. It’s very easy to get the work positioned and lock it down without walking back and forth. They are also self adjusting for wood thickness. Expensive, but like several have said, once you’ve used them, worth every penny.

Jim OConnor
11-09-2021, 6:21 PM
I hate spell check….. the valves allow you to decide if you want the cylinders to operate independently or together.

Mark e Kessler
11-09-2021, 7:26 PM
The tilting feature on Mac’s clamps is very useful to push or pull your work tight against the cross cut fence. It helps prevent movement when the clamp extends. The OEM cam clamp is an example where if things aren’t exactly perpendicular, the wood can move. By setting the clamps at a slight angle, the wood stays tight against the reference fence.

one of the other nice things about Mac’s clamps is that it is very easy to use the clamps together or flip a switch and use them one at a time. The custom valves he uses allows police Kathy O’Connor g how you want them to operate separately or together.

they are particularly nice when handling larger work pieces. It’s very easy to get the work positioned and lock it down without walking back and forth. They are also self adjusting for wood thickness. Expensive, but like several have said, once you’ve used them, worth every penny.

I prefer to clamp straight down and never had any issues, I don’t always clamp against the fence so i would assume you need to adjust them so they don’t push the material you are clamping?

Also that special valve is a plain ol’ shuttle valve, the rear clamp has an extra port drilled so air flows through to the other clamp instead of flowing out of the exhaust

derek labian
11-10-2021, 4:28 PM
na not really, just lots of pics and vids of me monkeying around with them. They cost me about $900 to build minus the base and a bushing which I had a machinist at work make for some whiskey, Mac’s are I think around $2800 depending…

Really nice, I mistook them for Mac's.