PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite work light

Paul F Franklin
08-14-2020, 9:30 PM
I've always kind of hated my halogen work lights. The typical dual head lights on a tripod with 500 watt halogen lamps in each head. They heat up a room quickly, there's a lot of glare from them, the light color and color rendering is lousy. They take up a lot of room and it's easy to blow out a lamp if you jar them when on.

I picked up one of these from menards: http://www.gtledlighting.com/shop-lights/product/gt-98a-cri/?

What a difference: Bright, even, 5000k light, with a 90 CRI, lightweight, small, very sturdily made, adjustable angle, don't throw off too much heat (60 watts). It checks all the boxes for me. All of my halogens are going to Habitat.

Matt Day
08-14-2020, 9:42 PM
Looks good. How much does it cost. I’m doing some flooring in a room right now and man those halogens heat up that room fast.

Bill Dufour
08-14-2020, 10:14 PM
I have seen replacement halogen stick bulbs with LED's no idea on wattage or color.
Bill D.

first link that popped up. Please let us know if these are ballpark lumens and color needed. If they are I will have to look closer at the yard sale lights like that.
https://www.wish.com/product/5dfaedb87648610604ceea62?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=US&_force_currency_code=USD&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=5dfaedb87648610604ceea62&ad_cc=US&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=USD&ad_price=4.34&campaign_id=7203534630&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuMbZjJGc6wIVYeW1Ch3OAgTZEAQYBCAB EgKxd_D_BwE&share=web

Paul F Franklin
08-14-2020, 11:37 PM
Looks good. How much does it cost. I’m doing some flooring in a room right now and man those halogens heat up that room fast.

I think it was about $72 at menards with their 11% rebate.

Paul F Franklin
08-14-2020, 11:51 PM
I have seen replacement halogen stick bulbs with LED's no idea on wattage or color.
Bill D.

first link that popped up. Please let us know if these are ballpark lumens and color needed. If they are I will have to look closer at the yard sale lights like that.
https://www.wish.com/product/5dfaedb87648610604ceea62?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=US&_force_currency_code=USD&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=5dfaedb87648610604ceea62&ad_cc=US&ad_lang=EN&ad_curr=USD&ad_price=4.34&campaign_id=7203534630&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuMbZjJGc6wIVYeW1Ch3OAgTZEAQYBCAB EgKxd_D_BwE&share=web

For 7 or 8 bucks they might be worth a try. They put out a lot less light than the halogens, and less than the unit I linked to. They're available in 5000K but the CRI is only spec'ed at >80, which usually means 80.1. That's ok for general work, but not great for painting. At only 25 watts, it's going to throw off a lot less heat than the halogens. The general issue with this style lamp is that even though it's only 25 watts, the heat is generated in a very small space, so they run quite hot, which is hard on the electronics in there. The unit I linked to has a the LEDs spaced out on a large panel heatsink so the leds run a lot cooler.

Tom M King
08-15-2020, 7:41 AM
I changed the heads on my dual head Halogen worklights to Snap On Led's. I think it was 2014, or '15 when they were sold at Costco. I thought it very strange that Costco was selling Snap On, but for the $25 they were selling them for, I decided to try one. I went back the next day, and bought 4 more. Now, I wish I'd bought more. They're all still working.

About six months later, they were selling on ebay for 50 bucks, but they all sold quickly. Amazon had them for 45 a couple of years later, so I bought two more.

The biggest trouble with them is that they are too bright for some things.

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-922261-Work-Light-2000/dp/B00OJOCDJO/ref=asc_df_B00OJOCDJO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135477708&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10177498607263029031&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009780&hvtargid=pla-308085700779&psc=1

Frank Pratt
08-15-2020, 10:58 AM
I've always kind of hated my halogen work lights. The typical dual head lights on a tripod with 500 watt halogen lamps in each head. They heat up a room quickly, there's a lot of glare from them, the light color and color rendering is lousy.

I more than kinda hate those halogen lights. So many burns. But actually, the CRI of halogen light is 100, better than any LED or fluorescent. The color temperature of halogen isn't that great though.

Paul F Franklin
08-15-2020, 12:23 PM
I more than kinda hate those halogen lights. So many burns. But actually, the CRI of halogen light is 100, better than any LED or fluorescent. The color temperature of halogen isn't that great though.

I stand corrected, thank you; I just never liked painting while using the halogens. Maybe it's the color temp or glare that gives me trouble.

Brian Tymchak
08-15-2020, 8:46 PM
I stand corrected, thank you; I just never liked painting while using the halogens. Maybe it's the color temp or glare that gives me trouble.

I bought one of those 2 headed halogens when I painted our house 5-6 years ago. I used it on the first day and turned it off after about a half hour because the glare was so bad. And hot. Never used it again. Trashed it some months later when it was in the way of a basement rearrangement.

Bruce Page
08-15-2020, 10:26 PM
I did an LED conversion. It’s not as bright as the halogen it replaced but a heck of a lot cooler and cheaper to run.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?273600-64-LED%92s-30-watts-little-heat&highlight=

Frank Pratt
08-16-2020, 10:22 AM

I agree. I've always hated those halogens for just about everything.

Mark Hatten
09-20-2020, 11:04 AM
Hi Paul,

I actually have a bit of a favor to ask. I am glad to here you are liking the GT-98A-CRI because I have been thinking about buying one myself. I am interested in this product for the purposes of lighting in videography due to it's high CRI. However, one thing I have not been able to confirm through searching online is whether or not the light will flicker on camera. Is there anyway you could take a video of something with this light shining on it and upload it and/or just confirm that it doesn't flicker on camera? I really would like to know this detail before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

Paul F Franklin
09-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Hi Paul,

I actually have a bit of a favor to ask. I am glad to here you are liking the GT-98A-CRI because I have been thinking about buying one myself. I am interested in this product for the purposes of lighting in videography due to it's high CRI. However, one thing I have not been able to confirm through searching online is whether or not the light will flicker on camera. Is there anyway you could take a video of something with this light shining on it and upload it and/or just confirm that it doesn't flicker on camera? I really would like to know this detail before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

I'll give it a try later today and let you know.

Mark Hatten
09-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Much appreciated! Thank you!

Paul F Franklin
09-20-2020, 8:32 PM
I'll give it a try later today and let you know.

I made a short video (Iphone) with that light as the only light source and saw no evidence of flicker so I think it should work for you.

Warren Lake
09-20-2020, 11:47 PM
have those double ones and never impressed. heat and big and floppy set up. then had glasses with lights in them and they didnt work as well as needed either. I was painting and cutting in and still could not see well enough with either.

Switched to Lee valley Suprabeam which is on my head then whatever glasses suit. bought a second one recharges will im using the first on. You can turn the brightness up and down and adjust the fan width some amount. Used them for stuff from cutting the lawn to tree trimming late at night to rust proofing under the wally to photography on my head to add to the flash. Finished reshingling one of my roof sections using them. I need to light what im doing way more than lighting a room.

Mark Hatten
09-21-2020, 10:38 AM
I made a short video (Iphone) with that light as the only light source and saw no evidence of flicker so I think it should work for you.

Thanks a lot! This light is a steal! I appreciate you!