PDA

View Full Version : Practice

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2005, 6:19 PM
Well got a little time today so went out in the shop to practice on some more wood. Watching a video by Richard Raffan. So thought I would practice a couple of things he was showing. These two I was using a 3/4" roughing gouge to get it round, then measuring and using a skew chisel. That skew is going to take some practice to master but didn't do to bad I don't think. I found a lot of it is using your body not your hands and a tight grip. Anyway mostly learning to sharpen and get used to what the tools will do.

Corey Hallagan
12-30-2005, 6:32 PM
Looking good Bernie! You will be a master before we know it!!

Corey

Cecil Arnold
12-30-2005, 6:34 PM
From the looks of that you will be turning out some nice stuff real soon (maybe this week-end) not bad for a guy with the Frendly Aviator's Agency.

John Hart
12-30-2005, 6:37 PM
Nice stack of beads Bernie! Can you do a necklace? :)

Ernie Nyvall
12-30-2005, 6:52 PM
Alright Bernie! Good going on the practice.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-30-2005, 7:01 PM
Keep your stick one the ice Bernie. We're pulling for you.

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2005, 7:13 PM
Thanks guys. John don't know about the necklace guess I could if I cut the beads and stringem. Been waitin on Bill's DVD to come in but hasn't yet. Guess I may have to just go turn a pen and see where it falls. Only had a hour in the wood shop today as I had to get in the clockshop to get a clock repaired to deliver next weekend. Anyway I appreciate.

Mike Ramsey
12-30-2005, 7:28 PM
Berinie, I try and give myself a couple of hours to mellow out after
watching a Raffan video :) . Before I go near my lathe anyway :).
Nice practice work!

Bob Noles
12-30-2005, 7:45 PM
Good Gosh Bernie.... I go to dinner and come back to find that you have already turned pro :eek: You just gotta slow down and let me catch up :p

btw..... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY :D :D

Nice work my friend!

Keith Burns
12-30-2005, 9:51 PM
Great start Bernie ! I never call mine practice pieces,(some people may think you don't know what you're doing), I call them "Just for Fun" pieces.

Bill Stevener
12-30-2005, 10:11 PM
That's a real good start Bernie. One that can master the skew, can just about master any turning tool. However there are some that have very good control over the bowl gouge that can never figure out the skew. The big thing with the skew is to relax, but keep your eye on the work. One day you will find that the tool will come alive and you will say, now that's really easy, why did this take so long. You will find it's as easy as using a pencil. Most of the time I use it one handed, on long spindle work and don't use the handle, but the handle creates the balance.
It's not a bat or a golf club, no death grip required, use it like a pen. A real sharp one.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks again guys. Bill actually I found the skew easier to use that a spindle gouge. The one on the right is the first one I did just by eye. The second one I relaxed and measured so each would be the same size. I can't believe how smooth a surface it leave. It really didn't take much sanding.

Mike I watched his video last night and this morning. Got in the shop later this afternoon. His video's are pretty fast. So had to think about a few things before I try it.