View Full Version : Festool 1400 vs. Micro fence

Jeff Watson
12-30-2005, 5:57 PM
Yesterday I made my first festool purchase. In that purchase I acquired a couple of Festool guide rails. My question has to do with dadoes. I currently have been using a bosch 1617 with Tru-grip rails to cut dadoes. Since I have
festool rails now, I would like to eliminate the Tru-grip rails and maybe get a little bit more precision. I am looking at two options, 1. Buy the OF 1400 with the rail guage or 2. invest in the micro fence set-up and continue using the Bosch. Both options are roughly the same cost. Does anyone have any input on either option? If you are currently using a similar set-up I would be happy to hear your input. I know the micro fence is a quality unit. I also posted this question over on the FOG.

Thanks

Cecil Arnold
12-30-2005, 6:13 PM
I've got both the micro fence (with Bosch router) and the 1400. Don't know which one I would like to give up, but don't think you can get quiet the precision out of the Festool although the difference would only be apparent when doing inlays IMHO.

Jim Becker
12-30-2005, 8:11 PM
I own both the MicroFence setup and the OF1400 with the guide rail attachment. I now use the Festool system for dados where I choose to use a router. The positive connection to the rail insures the cut is true despite my wavering hands... ;) I would still use the MicroFence fence system for smaller work and where I would want to take advantage of its extreme precision...such as for inlay work.

Greg Mann
12-30-2005, 8:17 PM
Jim,

I think Jeff is referring to using the Microfence with the adapter that runs off the Festool rail, which would negate the wandering off the edge problem. Either approach would have its advantages.

Greg

JayStPeter
12-31-2005, 11:44 AM
I've got both the micro fence (with Bosch router) and the 1400. Don't know which one I would like to give up, but don't think you can get quiet the precision out of the Festool although the difference would only be apparent when doing inlays IMHO.

I don't have the microfence, but I have the 1617 and OF1400 w/guide rail adapter. I'll leave the details of my comments on the Festool Owners Group if anyone is interested.

The bottom line is that for router based dadoes, I prefer a homemade jig. It's a simple t-square made of plywood with a slot for a template guide.

I have been considering the microfence w/Festool rail adapter and will look it over at the next woodworking show I attend.

Jay