PDA

View Full Version : Really Neanderthal, Really Clever, Really about actually using tools

bill epstein
08-13-2020, 7:39 AM
I laid out a design I liked for storing my chisels on the bench that was removable and was halfway through prepping some stock when I realized that the larger one's would require holes that would allow them to fall right through to the floor! I don't like holders with leather that wears or holders with wood catches that must be turned. I wanted a "holster" that required minimal work to make and use.

This one is the one and soon will grace my bench: https://youtu.be/GvpZnkpNNzY

Derek Cohen
08-13-2020, 9:29 AM
That was a little painful to watch, but the final result is attractive.

Bill, mine is essentially the same design, but attached to the wall behind the bench. A variation of the box construction for interest ...

https://i.postimg.cc/VkXP1yw6/Veritas-Chisel-Review-html-17f5ec29.jpg

The slot continues the full length, and is home to gauges and similar tools.

https://i.postimg.cc/NffdYGd3/D4a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

chris carter
08-13-2020, 11:07 AM
Mine is incorporated into the tool tray that sits at the head (opposite the end vise side) of my bench. It is basically the same thing, but the holes go all the way through, which is fully intentional. If they don’t go all the way through, then they will fill up with debris that would be very difficult to get out. It’s fairly tall so the edges of the chisels don’t stick out below, but other tools like backsaws and the combo square do.

Michael J Evans
08-14-2020, 1:53 AM
Hmm good ideas by all. I took a scrap about 12"l ,x 3" w x 1" thick. Marked a line about 1.5" all the length wise down the face. Measured ferrule thickness, used wood augers and bored appropriate sized holes and then sawed two lines to meet the edges of circles. Sawed lines looked like this =o
Chisels cannot fall out, blades are fully exposed so I can easily see each size and it's mounted on the wall directly above and behind my bench.

Michael J Evans
08-14-2020, 1:58 AM
Mine is incorporated into the tool tray that sits at the head (opposite the end vise side) of my bench. It is basically the same thing, but the holes go all the way through, which is fully intentional. If they don’t go all the way through, then they will fill up with debris that would be very difficult to get out. It’s fairly tall so the edges of the chisels don’t stick out below, but other tools like backsaws and the combo square do.

Chris I like you solution here and may have to copy it. Especially for the backsaws.

Richard Hutchings
08-14-2020, 9:44 AM
I notice your bench is away from the wall. I thought this was a YouTube kind of thing. Is there much benefit to working from both sides? It sure looks like a long reach to your tools if you're working from the vise side.

Derek Cohen
08-14-2020, 9:54 AM
Richard, if you are referring to my bench ... generally it is positioned about 12" from the wall. I can lean over and reach tools without any difficulty.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Richard Hutchings
08-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Thanks Derek, yes I was talking about your bench.

Tom Bender
08-17-2020, 10:44 PM
These stay in the drawer most of the time but come out as a set.
439223 439224