PDA

View Full Version : Framing Square Rehab

steven c newman
08-11-2020, 6:52 PM
Picked a Framing square last spring...one of the first yard/barn sales of the season....$1...
White painted markings were a bit too yellow, and barely readable...gave one leg a quick rub with some 80 grit by hand...
Hmmm, install the 80 grit into the palm sander, and work over all surfaces...
Getting there..change over to 220 grit, a fresh pad for each leg, and each face...
I also wiped things down each time...finally spreading a bead of 3in1 oil, and wiping down again..
99% of all markings are readable....just have to re-learn what they all meant.....at one time, they said you could build an entire house, using just this square to lay everything out...
a lost art, now?

Did not find any maker's name.....

Tom M King
08-11-2020, 7:15 PM
Not completely lost. There are still a few of us old ones left that know how to read one. We used slide rules in college too.

I opened this expecting to see the squareness of one corrected with a center punch.

Mel Fulks
08-11-2020, 7:21 PM
Good find. I can't resist them either! When they are that cheap. I have at least one that was hammered and filed and
has hand stamped numbers. Wanted a take-down square for years ..... then found two ,in different places ,in a short
time.

steven c newman
08-12-2020, 2:20 AM
Haven't tested it to see IF it is indeed "square"...maybe tomorrow, eh. Spending some time learning all the markings.....been over 20 years since I needed to use one of these....

Tom M King
08-12-2020, 8:27 AM
I never used the tables for rafter length. I have a pair of these square gauges, that I've used for 45 years, for both rafters, and stair stringers. I use a sharp no.4 pencil. The tables are great for valley rafters, and such though. I did a google search, to see what is available about framing square tables, and there is Plenty of information available online.

https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/111

steven c newman
08-12-2020, 3:18 PM
Other than building steps for the from porch deck last year....been almost 20 yrs since I was using these squares for a living. Real fun was using it to form up a set of concrete stairs....since the risers also had to tilt forward just a bit...not too bad for just a couple steps....but when you have over 10' of rise....

Have worked as the "cut-man" quite a few times...when the other fellow was up on the rafters, calling down sizes he needed...spent over 6 years on the foundation crews....

Last jobsite work was back in FEB, 2003....stick built Doctor's Office building.

steven c newman
08-12-2020, 4:49 PM
Ok, even of my history...I happen to have my Late Dad's framer square.....not the best of shape....kind of grungy, and bent...
had a couple waves going on...edges were turning...green? About those waves..we have ways..
Then the usual 80 grit in the sander..
Then the next spot...
That is not rust..that be copper plate...thinking the nickel plating is long gone?
I did find a logo..

NICHOLLS
MFG...CO.
OTTUMWA, IA, USA
414R
RAFTER FRAMER
Wheel logo says something about Union Made

Didn't take all that long to clean up....metal now has a thin coat of oil on it...scales are very readable, BTW

Just not sure how to finish this thing up...may leave it bare...I did the usual check for squareness....still deadnuts...
Now, off to research who made this square...

Mel Fulks
08-12-2020, 6:08 PM
Steven,I've seen some in good shape that had only the copper plating. Judging by condition I dont thing they ever had
another coating.

steven c newman
08-13-2020, 8:02 PM
I remember Dad using his....yellowish white markings...rest looking like an old Penny. Trying to think of a way to "restore" that copper look...without painting it...

Mel Fulks
08-13-2020, 9:24 PM
Steven , Splinters (guy who does that elaborate pierced stuff) uses" Rub and Buff" I know they have several "golds"
and I think they have copper

Derek Cohen
08-13-2020, 10:59 PM
I have and use one of these squares. It gets used for checking if corners are square ...

https://i.postimg.cc/L5gjndWy/8a.jpg

I also checked with a digital mitre square, and mine is spot-on 90.0 degrees.

The question is how does one get this level of accuracy? That is more important than simply shining it up. So, Steven, would would you suggest?

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
08-13-2020, 11:26 PM
Have already checked both of the ones I just "shined up" ...both are dead on. Nothing quite as fancy...straight edged board ( mine was 24" x 24" x 3/4" thick) Make the 2 marks out across the board...both the 16" length and the 24" lengths...then the inside lengths....then flip the square over, and repeat....

All came out to the ends, no gaps...just a solid, straight line. Just the same way a Carpenter always checks his.

There IS a way to fine tune such squares as these....involves using a center punch. You might look that method up....so far, I haven't needed to use it.

Sometimes, at those yard sales, I might see a framing square.....IF there is a bunch of little divots from a center punch....I usually walk on past it....some lousy "carpenter" had kept dropping his square... and now is so far out of square, not worth the trouble to fix it.

Derek Cohen
08-13-2020, 11:29 PM
Steven, I know how to do this with a centre punch - which is why my square is dead-on. This is your thread - show everyone here how to do this. It would be helpful to others here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

steven c newman
08-13-2020, 11:32 PM
Well...first thing..I NEED to FIND a square that actually NEEDS it done to it...

Tom Stenzel
08-14-2020, 12:11 AM
Ok, even of my history...I happen to have my Late Dad's framer square.....not the best of shape....kind of grungy, and bent...

That is not rust..that be copper plate...thinking the nickel plating is long gone?
I did find a logo..

NICHOLLS
MFG...CO.
OTTUMWA, IA, USA
414R
RAFTER FRAMER
Wheel logo says something about Union Made

Steve, in Fred Hodgson's 1903 book on the steel square he refers to what we call a framing square a Nicholls square and they were available with an oxidized copper finish.

Nice piece of history Dad left you.

-Tom

Michael J Evans
08-14-2020, 1:24 AM
My heaviest framing square is a Nichols I believe (not at home). That thing is a beast compared to the others I have. But mine has white paint on each of the graduations. Like a idiot I soaked about 3 inches on one end in vinegar to take off the rust. Which it did very well but also removed the white paint. I would like to find a way to derust and clean it up without losing the white graduations.

steven c newman
08-14-2020, 6:25 PM
I was a good boy, today.....one yard sale had 3 framing squares as a "bundle".....passed on them because I have 5 in the shop. Didn't need any more...they also needed a rehab...pass.

I did however pick a Stanley No. 20 8" square. Wood handle will need refinished....instead of brass in the sides of the handle...they are steel, including the three pins. There is a brass wear strip, held to the handle with 3 small screws. Checked for square...was "off" about an 1/8"......hammer adjust until it was indeed square....90% of the markings on the blade are readable. price? $0.25....

Photos? Use your imagination.....I seem to be done with posting photos on this site....I don't have a Photo Studio to suit some on here.

Tony Wilkins
08-14-2020, 7:13 PM
I was a good boy, today.....one yard sale had 3 framing squares as a "bundle".....passed on them because I have 5 in the shop. Didn't need any more...they also needed a rehab...pass.

I did however pick a Stanley No. 20 8" square. Wood handle will need refinished....instead of brass in the sides of the handle...they are steel, including the three pins. There is a brass wear strip, held to the handle with 3 small screws. Checked for square...was "off" about an 1/8"......hammer adjust until it was indeed square....90% of the markings on the blade are readable. price? $0.25....

Photos? Use your imagination.....I seem to be done with posting photos on this site....I don't have a Photo Studio to suit some on here.
Your text is a bit washed out. Next time you post try running it through the sharpen algorithm on Word Elements.

steven c newman
08-14-2020, 7:38 PM
Can't see anything wrong on my end....might want to check yours?....

Just for giggles..
What I normally post as...
480 x 472 pixel size...deal with it.

steven c newman
08-15-2020, 5:39 PM
Stanley No. 20, 8" square. Needed adjusted for square ( been dropped a few times?) Hammer adjusted until it was indeed square.
Still need to refinish the wood part, but..
Instead of brass holder for the three pins, these are steel, as well as the 3 pins. A brass wear plate is held on to the wooden handle with 3 slotted steel screws, counter-sunk into the brass strip.

Logo side of the blade; readable numbers count towards the handle....non logo side, the count away from the handle.

That "chef's hat" screwdriver is by Goodell Pratt Co.
Not sure about the tiny one. The spanner screwdriver has MAC SABINA, O. Patented...may use it for those split nut saws I have.
Last screwdriver seems to be your run-of-the-mill Stanley.
These two, rust and tarnish have been cleaned up. Finally got the Yankee chuck to release the bit....spring seems a bit sluggish ( may have broke?) except for the last 2" of travel. Red Handle has two sizes of Phillips drivers...the 3 square drive bits seem to be too fat to use.
These 3 showed up, today...counting a 1/2" Pony clamp...
Cost me $3 for the lot.....Chisel set (England) is missing the 12mm sized chisel.

have another D-8 to rehab.....a 10ppi Disston/HK Porter...
Price was right, at least..
Nothing cracked, nothing bent, no missing teeth....Handle even fits my hand....26" long..
Not too bad of a morning?

lowell holmes
08-15-2020, 6:48 PM
Take a scrap of plywood, square it up, draw a line across it, flip the square over, and if the lines are on top of each other you are square.
If not, make adjustments until it is square.

Michael J Evans
08-15-2020, 7:39 PM
Stanley No. 20, 8" square. Needed adjusted for square ( been dropped a few times?) Hammer adjusted until it was indeed square.
Still need to refinish the wood part, but..
Instead of brass holder for the three pins, these are steel, as well as the 3 pins. A brass wear plate is held on to the wooden handle with 3 slotted steel screws, counter-sunk into the brass strip.

Logo side of the blade; readable numbers count towards the handle....non logo side, the count away from the handle.

That "chef's hat" screwdriver is by Goodell Pratt Co.
Not sure about the tiny one. The spanner screwdriver has MAC SABINA, O. Patented...may use it for those split nut saws I have.
Last screwdriver seems to be your run-of-the-mill Stanley.
These two, rust and tarnish have been cleaned up. Finally got the Yankee chuck to release the bit....spring seems a bit sluggish ( may have broke?) except for the last 2" of travel. Red Handle has two sizes of Phillips drivers...the 3 square drive bits seem to be too fat to use.
These 3 showed up, today...counting a 1/2" Pony clamp...
Cost me $3 for the lot.....Chisel set (England) is missing the 12mm sized chisel.

have another D-8 to rehab.....a 10ppi Disston/HK Porter...
Price was right, at least..
Nothing cracked, nothing bent, no missing teeth....Handle even fits my hand....26" long..
Not too bad of a morning?

Steven
They give stuff away where you live.. always posting some ridiculous cheap finds. Nice finds .

steven c newman
08-15-2020, 8:09 PM
Not cheap..it is called..Frugal.

Mel Fulks
08-16-2020, 1:53 AM
I haven't seen the taper of old squares mentioned. I think they feel less awkward in use. If there are any tapered
squares still being made....I sure haven't seen them.

Bill Yacey
08-16-2020, 7:14 PM
I was at Lee Valley a few years ago, and they had a large Chappell framing square hanging in their clearance bargain section. When I inquired about it, they said it was a return item due to being out of square. I think I paid about 40% of list price for it. A few punches with a drift brought it back into square. These are probably the finest squares made today.

steven c newman
08-17-2020, 11:00 AM
Lets see..I now have 2 very good framing squares....another that I bought new last year. and two square shaped objects that may get tossed out.

Plus, I turned down a bundle of 3 framing squares over the past weekend...used the dollar bill on other objects....

These do come in handy in the shop....marking out on larger plywood panels to cut them down into smaller panels I can use.

Now? Happen to have a little bit smaller square to work on..
Stanley No. 20, 8"....have already adjusted it back to square....needs the wood work cleaned up...

mike stenson
08-17-2020, 11:15 AM
Well...first thing..I NEED to FIND a square that actually NEEDS it done to it...

Grab an aluminum one (actually I prefer these for framing, they don't hold heat as long).. and drop it ;)

Viola, framing square that needs to be squared :D