PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airshield

Howie French
12-30-2005, 3:00 PM
I am considering purchasing a Trend Airshield, I would be interested in hearing any comments from current users and others that have considered
something like this.

also, the best price I have come across recently is $249. Should I be able to do better then that.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4923

thanks, Howie

Frank Hagan
12-30-2005, 3:11 PM
I'm interested in this one too, and also the AirCap II, which is $189 at Woodcraft (haven't seen it anywhere else).

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/Family/web4873.jpg

tod evans
12-30-2005, 3:13 PM
my vote goes to a 12$ box fan from wally world, buy tools with the change........02 tod

Jim Becker
12-30-2005, 3:21 PM
I bought the Trend a number of months ago when I caught a convenient sale due to the kindness of another SMC member's posting about it. Prior to owning this face shield, I only used a full shield when roughing knarly things (on the lathe). Now, I generally wear the Trend nearly all the time I'm turning. It doesn't fog and the constant flow of fresh air is enjoyable. While it's not a NIOSH approved device, it does what I expect it to do...remove much of the dust from what I am breathing at the moment and keep my vision clear in all "weather" conditions, while adding some additional protection to the greater part of my face not covered by my safety glasses. (You MUST still wear safety glasses with most of these face shields)

Jack Hogoboom
12-30-2005, 3:56 PM
I've had mine for close to a year and really love it. $249 sounds like a very good price. It has been one of my most useful shop purchases.

Jack

Rob Blaustein
12-30-2005, 5:16 PM
When I click on your link it shows the price at Woodcraft as $279. Were you referring to AllProTools--they have it for $249. I'm in the market as well, and that's the best price I could find. I even emailed them asking if they were going to bring back that $219 deal from last January that I think Jim was referring to--they wrote me a nice note back saying that they really couldn't do better than 249 because their cost went up. Hope that's helpful.

Greg Heppeard
12-30-2005, 6:30 PM
I got the Trend about a week ago, I was torn between it and the less expensive Triton. I looked them both over and put them on. I thought that the ear protection and hard hat of the Triton was overkill for my use and added a lot of weight to it. I ended up with the Trend and have been happy with it so far.

Peter Lyon
12-30-2005, 6:43 PM
I would recommend looking into the Triton as well. My father has one and is happy with it.:) I've tried it on and found it to be very comfortable yet quite effective. I think it can be found for around $250 on sale.

I've heard there have been issues with the plastic face shield on the trend developing stress cracks. I believe there was quite a discussion on this over at WoodCentral's turning forum.

Dick Parr
12-30-2005, 7:07 PM
The Trend Airshield is by far the best tool that have bought so far, bar none. Just wish I had gotten it Before I got asthma.:(

Howie French
12-30-2005, 7:49 PM
When I click on your link it shows the price at Woodcraft as $279. Were you referring to AllProTools--they have it for $249. I'm in the market as well, and that's the best price I could find. I even emailed them asking if they were going to bring back that $219 deal from last January that I think Jim was referring to--they wrote me a nice note back saying that they really couldn't do better than 249 because their cost went up. Hope that's helpful.

Rob, yes AllPro is where I found it for 249, also you can buy it directly from Trend at the moment for $250, I emailed them and they quoted me $11 shipping to Mass.

Howie French
12-30-2005, 7:52 PM
I bought the Trend a number of months ago when I caught a convenient sale due to the kindness of another SMC member's posting about it. Prior to owning this face shield, I only used a full shield when roughing knarly things (on the lathe). Now, I generally wear the Trend nearly all the time I'm turning. It doesn't fog and the constant flow of fresh air is enjoyable. While it's not a NIOSH approved device, it does what I expect it to do...remove much of the dust from what I am breathing at the moment and keep my vision clear in all "weather" conditions, while adding some additional protection to the greater part of my face not covered by my safety glasses. (You MUST still wear safety glasses with most of these face shields)

Jim, I am just getting into turning, the other night I turned some spalted maple, then later that night read that breathing dust from spalted wood was really dangerous. That got me thinking about the airshield. Seems like alot of money, however, I guess not really when it comes to ones health

Howie

Howie French
12-30-2005, 7:54 PM
can you blow out the filters with a compressor, if not how often do you
need to replace the filters ?

Dick Parr
12-30-2005, 10:22 PM
it is better to use a shop vac on them

they will last a long time if you do that after each use