PDA

View Full Version : What wood is this?

Sparky Paessler
12-30-2005, 2:51 PM
My neighbor cut down this tree and saved the trunk for me to use as turning blanks. He told me it was cherry but when I went today to cut it up and haul it home I don't think it is cherry. It looks like it might be Chokecherry? What do you think.

John Hart
12-30-2005, 3:06 PM
hmmm. I thought that Chokeberry was a shrub that doesn't really get very big. Course then, I haven't met all the chokeberries...so I'm not sure. The horizontal striations on the bark and the general color of the wood suggest some kind of cherry though. Dunno. :confused:

Keith Christopher
12-30-2005, 3:08 PM
My guess is apple.

Dick Strauss
12-30-2005, 3:55 PM
There are lots of ornamental cherries that look similar to the pics posted. My neighbor has a tree with almost the same bark.

Here are a few sites to help you identify the wood. It helps if you know what the leaves and fruit look like, etc.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/ (this site relates to Ohio trees)
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/leaf/Treekey/tkframe.htm

Carole Valentine
12-30-2005, 4:04 PM
Who knows! THe bark looks like some sort of ornamental cherry. Does it turn good?:D

Mark Hulette
12-30-2005, 4:14 PM
Who knows! THe bark looks like some sort of ornamental cherry. Does it turn good?:D

Only for ornaments! :rolleyes:

Sorry. I've turned some ornamental cherry and it does look a lot like that and it does turn nicely although it's pretty straight-grained without much excitement figure-wise.

Keith Christopher
12-30-2005, 4:33 PM
pics of my mcintosh tree in my back yard.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/apple1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/apple2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/goyde/apple3.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2005, 4:37 PM
I would have to say kind of cherry also. Some kind of ornamental cherry.

roy knapp
12-30-2005, 4:46 PM
It sure looks like Black cherry.:) :)

Sparky Paessler
12-30-2005, 5:12 PM
The wood seems much lighter than Cherry and I forgot to add that it has a strange odor that reminds me of wintergreen or menthol or something.

Carole Valentine
12-30-2005, 5:25 PM
The wood seems much lighter than Cherry and I forgot to add that it has a strange odor that reminds me of wintergreen or menthol or something.
It IS a hardwood, isn't it?

Keith Nielsen
12-30-2005, 5:33 PM
Sparky

I know this wood for sure. Its a Smooth bark cherry (Ornamental)
I can also tell you this about it. The grain does not like to stick together under the torque of a lathe. They also call this the turner killer. Most turners define it as the only true firewood around. If you choose to turn something out of it DO NOT go aggressively on it. turn the speed way down and use very light cuts.

Good luck and we'll all pray for you

Keith

Sparky Paessler
12-30-2005, 5:33 PM
Yes it is hard and heavy. I going down in the basement and cut some blanks out of it and get a better look at the grain.

Sparky Paessler
12-30-2005, 5:36 PM
Sparky

I know this wood for sure. Its a Smooth bark cherry (Ornamental)
I can also tell you this about it. The grain does not like to stick together under the torque of a lathe. They also call this the turner killer. Most turners define it as the only true firewood around. If you choose to turn something out of it DO NOT go aggressively on it. turn the speed way down and use very light cuts.

Good luck and we'll all pray for you

Keith

Well Keith after yesterday I'm use to things flying apart!:eek: Before I cut up anymore of it I will check out a piece and see how easily it splits. I'll be careful and wear a face shield really.:rolleyes:

Sparky Paessler
12-30-2005, 7:18 PM
Well I turned some of the mystery wood and here's how it looks. I have turned a lot of cherry and it is not as light as this. It did turn very well but the grain is not very exciting.

Gary DeWitt
12-30-2005, 8:01 PM
Bark doesn't look like any fruit cherry I've ever seen. Wood does look a lot lighter than cherry. How about yellow birch? Pic of bark on that "leaf" site given earlier in this thread looks a bit like your pic.
Smell makes me think this is soft wood, though. Or champhor, maybe.
Anyway, have fun with it. Plain wood might be ideal for some piercing, burning, sculpting or other decoration. Just a thought.

Andy Hoyt
12-30-2005, 8:06 PM
Sparky - It's Turningwood. Grows virtually every where.

Nice shape and great rim treatment.

Smells like menthol? Camphor? Green Eucalyptus kinda smells that way too, but sure doesn't look like your piece.

Hmmm. Another chunk of that Dunnowood, perhaps.

Ahh - Great minds think alike - right Gary?

Dontcha hate it when your post ends up on the next page:mad:

Jim Becker
12-30-2005, 8:20 PM
Sparky, show the pictures to Kevin G...he has a degree in this stuff!

Mike Ramsey
12-30-2005, 8:31 PM
Sparky, believe that is diffinitely "FOG" wood.

Mike Squire
12-30-2005, 8:58 PM
I seem to remember that Black Birch smells like wintergreen when you scrape the bark off the twigs. Does that grow in your area?
Mike

Keith Burns
12-30-2005, 9:23 PM
One thing is obvious, it's not explosive wood:D

Jim Ketron
12-30-2005, 9:39 PM
What ever it is Sparky its nice!
Great looking HF!

Curt Fuller
12-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Ok, I'll bite. What is 'FOG' wood? Something like Leaverite?

Pat Salter
12-31-2005, 12:56 AM
Some of it looks like bowlwood and some of it like spindlewood. two of my favorites!