PDA

View Full Version : Table and Chairs finished with pics

Nate Rogers
12-30-2005, 1:32 PM
Here are some pics of the latest project, the table I built in the summer..
Just a basic shaker style dining table finished with waterlox original. The chairs were a bit more work, the design is based on several different chairs I have seen over the years. But basically I designed them, they are also in cherry, but with curly maple used in the back. I also finished them in waterlox to match the table. I would love feedback good or bad.

Thanks for looking
Nate

Don Baer
12-30-2005, 1:39 PM
Nate;
Thats very nice work. Great design, fit and finish.

Ted Shrader
12-30-2005, 1:43 PM
Nate -

I really like the contrast in the woods. Very nice highlight. Nice, simple design - very elegant.

Did you use a jig/pattern for the chairs?

Ted

Nate Rogers
12-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Ted/Don
Thanks for the feedback, overall I was pretty satisfied with the chairs. To answer Ted's question, I mocked up the chairs out of poplar then built a jig out of plywood for the parts that were easily reproduced. Like the curved pieces around the bottom of the seat and the back legs. I then rough cut them with the band saw and used a trim bit to get the nice smooth curves. It was actually a pretty nice way of doing it, everything was VERY repeatable. I definately learned a great deal, certainly the largest project I have ever tackled. The best part is I can justify a new planer now, the old "lunchbox" planer is on it's last legs..Time to upgrade!!

Nate

tod evans
12-31-2005, 11:15 AM
nice work nate! did i understand there`s a tersa head in your future?:)

Jim Becker
12-31-2005, 11:17 AM
Looks great, Nate. It all works together very nicely. Great job!

Ken Shoemaker
12-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Nate,

Outstanding work!!! The fit and finish are well done. (I think i'm guilty of stating the obvious...:rolleyes:) Also the use of the different woods lends a very please point of interest.

Nate, be pleased.. Well done!!!! I'm honored to see it... Ken

Jason Tuinstra
12-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Nate, great looking work. Chairs are tough work. I'm used to only thinking about how the finished products looks. With a chair you have to worry about how it feels. Looks like you nailed it. The contrast is a nice touch and will only be amplified by time. Good job.

Roger Everett
12-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Very nice Nate. They fit in quite well with the table, good matching set.
Roger

David Fried
12-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Nate, it looks great! Not only wonderful woodworking but the chairs look comfortable and the table looks inviting. I can't imagine walking into the room and not sitting down! I really like the light colored wood in the middle of the table - it's subtle but makes the top more interesting.

Dave Fried