PDA

View Full Version : What is going on in the world?

Scott Berg
12-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Anyone read about this recently? Makes me sick.

MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AP) -- Three juveniles suspected in the brutal mob beating of a motorist appeared in court Thursday and were ordered held in custody while authorities investigate the attack.
None of the juveniles -- a 14-year-old and two 16-year-olds -- was charged. Police continued to seek more suspects.
A prosecutor told a juvenile court judge the 14-year-old allegedly stomped and did a front flip onto 50-year-old Samuel McClain after he was yanked from his car on Monday.

A 16-year-old was accused of jumping off a car onto McClain and hitting him in the face with an ice ball, while the other 16-year-old allegedly hit the man repeatedly with a bottle, said Joy Hammond, an assistant district attorney for Milwaukee County.

"We're talking to a lot of people to try to get to the bottom of what happened," police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said. "We're getting some tips," she added, but declined to be specific.
A group of as many as 15 youths punched, kicked and jumped on McClain after he honked for them to move out of the street, witnesses said.
McClain was in satisfactory condition Thursday at Froedtert Memorial Lutheran Hospital in suburban Wauwatosa, just three days after he arrived there, unable to breathe on his own.

Trauma surgeon Karen Brasel said McClain was essentially in a coma after he was brought to the hospital.
He was "very lucky to be alive," Brasel said.
The attack on McClain in Milwaukee's inner city was the latest in a string of mob beatings since 2002. A state lawmaker and City Council members said Thursday they would seek to toughen anti-gang laws.

tod evans
12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
we use 12ga. shotguns here in the sticks for folks that don`t play nice:)

Dan Larson
12-30-2005, 2:11 PM
Hey Scott,

This incident is not exactly a point of pride for those of us who live in the Milwaukee area. Shameful to say the least.:(

I must say that this story is in no way representative of most of the folks who live here, and I say this with an outsider's perspective. My wife and I relocated here a couple of years ago after having lived in a number of places around the country, and we've been blown away by the genuine kindness and down-to-earth sensibility of virtually everyone we've encountered here.

Well, let's hope that this horrifying incident will be a turning point for the city of Milwaukee...

Dan

Frank Hagan
12-30-2005, 2:28 PM
The two 16 year olds should be tried as adults (they are eligible in my state at 15, I think). Not sure you can salvage a 16 year old this violent. May be a lost cause. The 14 year old should be evaluated as to whether he's still able to be re-directed, but even at that young age its late enough that they rarely straighten themselves out.

Here's my guess: none of these kids have a dad at home. That's the single strongest predictor of violent behavior. I've always thought that was because boys know their mother won't actually kill them ... but you never know about your dad!

Joe Pelonio
12-30-2005, 3:19 PM
They must be bored with the break from school, I just heard that another pair of guys stole an old lady's wheelchair, then laughed and waved to her as they drove away.

Scott Berg
12-30-2005, 6:51 PM
Dan, I was born in the Milwaukee area (Brown Deer) and lived in West Bend for 25 years. I moved to Colorado 11 years ago but still have many friends and relatives back in Wisconsin. Believe me, I realize this is not a reflection of the people who live there, there are people all over who do STUPID things!

It's just getting to the point where I don't want to read the newspaper or watch the news anymore. :(

Dennis Peacock
12-30-2005, 7:11 PM
Scott made a very good point here. It's not the location that makes the news bad....it's the people. There are good and not-so-good people no matter where we go in life. Even if we move to the middle of Montana and put a house in the middle of 500 acres....you're STILL going to run into someone that "just ain't so cool" to be around.

I've got a next door neighbor that came over to our house during our first year of living here. His first comment? "When are ya'll moving back to Alabama?":eek: :(
Now, this was even AFTER we helped them with groceries AND provided babysitting care for their child while they went out. :confused: :confused:

All of us have our "kwirks" about us.:rolleyes:

Oh well....takes all kinds to make the world go around.:D

Frank Hagan
12-30-2005, 8:34 PM
Scott made a very good point here. It's not the location that makes the news bad....it's the people. There are good and not-so-good people no matter where we go in life. Even if we move to the middle of Montana and put a house in the middle of 500 acres....you're STILL going to run into someone that "just ain't so cool" to be around.

I've got a next door neighbor that came over to our house during our first year of living here. His first comment? "When are ya'll moving back to Alabama?":eek: :(
Now, this was even AFTER we helped them with groceries AND provided babysitting care for their child while they went out. :confused: :confused:

All of us have our "kwirks" about us.:rolleyes:

Oh well....takes all kinds to make the world go around.:D

It is true that there are rude people everywhere, but your next door neighbor didn't beat you and do a backflip-body-slam routine on you! The anti-social behavior we find among some of the kids is really alarming. You don't find it very often in rural areas, although it still exists.

Joe Tonich
12-30-2005, 9:24 PM
I think it all comes down to the courts not letting ya parent the way kids need to be parented. Sorry, but children NEED to be disciplined if they choose not to play by the rules. Kids now-a-days know that ya can't punish them and YOU"LL get into trouble if ya do. A good swift smack to MY backside never hurt me but it sure made me think before I did whatever it was I done again. Heck......I had to laugh when my oldest told me it was illegal to ground him to his room for a day and a half. I told him to call and when we go to court he could go live with the judge and see if life would get better. Amazing how quick things turn around. ;) :D

Dennis Peacock
12-31-2005, 1:54 AM
Here's my guess: none of these kids have a dad at home. That's the single strongest predictor of violent behavior. I've always thought that was because boys know their mother won't actually kill them ... but you never know about your dad!

AMEN to that!!!!! My boys K N O W that if they give mom some "slack" during the day? When dad gets home? Life ain't so fun no moe!!!!:rolleyes:

I cut Z E R O slack with my kids, I don't care WHO's looking. If you are on my property? You just may witness a child getting the proper discipline. ;) :D

tod evans
12-31-2005, 7:09 AM
AMEN to that!!!!! My boys K N O W that if they give mom some "slack" during the day? When dad gets home? Life ain't so fun no moe!!!!:rolleyes:

I cut Z E R O slack with my kids, I don't care WHO's looking. If you are on my property? You just may witness a child getting the proper discipline. ;) :D

my children will behave! period......if i where to wittness the type of behavior that started this thread i would be right in the middle of it showing no mercy..........tod

John Hart
12-31-2005, 7:18 AM
Yup....There are too many examples of bad...and horrible behavior these days. It all goes back to the parents. My parents showed zero tolerance for bad behavior and I do the same for mine. Kids are NOT people! They are kids. They can be people later after you have done your job raising them.;)

Doug Jones
12-31-2005, 7:23 AM
Lets not forget,, this has all been written about and forseen, and it gets worse before it gets better.
Just my 0.02