PDA

View Full Version : LN Toothed Plane Blade?

Rob Luter
08-03-2020, 6:01 AM
I was flattening a piece of QSWO yesterday that had some swirly grain. It's an 18 x 18 glue up for the top of a taboret. I was getting some tear out so I changed to my toothed blade for the first time. This thing can really hog off the stock. I also found that the teeth are very fragile and don't care for knots :mad:. Thank goodness there wasn't damage that couldn't be repaired with a good sharpening.

Suggestions on a good durable cutting angle?

Jim Koepke
08-03-2020, 11:06 AM
This may be incorrect, my understanding of the use for a toothing blade isn't so much to "hog off the stock" as it is to condition the surface for gluing or to have a textured surface.

jtk

Barney Markunas
08-03-2020, 12:03 PM
I think traditionally, toothing planes were used to prep surfaces for veneering. More recently, folks have made a case for them being useful in the prep of challenging stock, where they can be used pretty aggressively but not result in catestrophic teaout. I can't speak from experience - a toothed blade for my LN low angle jack is on my wish list but it hasn't floated to the top.

Chris Fournier
08-03-2020, 12:14 PM
I use LN toothed blades but I am never in "hog mode" when I do. I'm just trying to get flat without tear out in trying circumstances.

Rob Luter
08-03-2020, 2:40 PM
From the LN Website: "Toothed blades have small chisel-like teeth .030" (.762mm) wide, and spaced .030" apart. They are used for heavy stock removal in difficult grain. Follow with a fine-set Smoothing Plane."

I'm here to tell you that prior to the cutting edge giving it up, this iron was really eating through the oak.

Mark Rainey
08-03-2020, 3:14 PM
Perhaps toothed planes were for surface prep for veneering, but that just doesn't make much sense to me. I have been hammering veneering without toothed blades for quite some time ( including some curved work ) without failure using hot hide glue. And isn't maximum contact between the two wood surfaces what we are after? Creating ridges with potential air pockets seem counterintuitive.

Osvaldo Cristo
08-03-2020, 4:23 PM
I was flattening a piece of QSWO yesterday that had some swirly grain. It's an 18 x 18 glue up for the top of a taboret. I was getting some tear out so I changed to my toothed blade for the first time. This thing can really hog off the stock. I also found that the teeth are very fragile and don't care for knots :mad:. Thank goodness there wasn't damage that couldn't be repaired with a good sharpening.

Suggestions on a good durable cutting angle?

I purchased a toothed blade exactly because it was suggested (LN site and youtube videos) to use it to remove big shanks of wood and as you, I wasn´t comfortable with its (apparently) fragile teeth, so I decided to maintain it only for the traditional use to create a not so smooth surface and to go to a cambered blade for scrubbing as I posted recently at https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?284818-Jack-of-all-trades&p=3042684#post3042684

My suggestion is to go to a cambered blade and maintain your peace of mind.

lowell holmes
08-03-2020, 4:38 PM
I have Lee Valley Veritas irons.
See this site.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/search?query=veritas+plane+irons

Jack Frederick
08-03-2020, 4:39 PM
I, too, was surprised at the toothed blades hogging capability in the 62. I used it after running a scrub plane over the qswo. I backed off it pretty quickly as the job didn't call for much. it is nice to have in the kit.