PDA

View Full Version : Hamlet tools

Wolf Kiessling
12-30-2005, 10:29 AM
I am planning on purchasing a Hamlet ½” radius scraper to finish off the inside of bowls to remove the ridges. Also, a lot of the wood I use is very punky and difficult to smooth out so I need a very sharp edge (I do a LOT of sanding). Anyhow, I had intended to get one of the ASP2030 or 2060 tools but, after thinking about it, thought that this might be a bad idea. Doesn’t the M2 HSS steel take a sharper edge than the hardened metal? I know the ASP 2030 and 2060 tools hold an edge longer but that is really not the prime consideration here. Also, my main tools are Glaser and Sorby and I know nothing about the Hamlet tools at all. Any recommendations/comments in this regard?

Jim Becker
12-30-2005, 1:37 PM
Hamlet tools are excellent based on comments I've seen from folks over the years. The only similar product to the ASP2030/2060 I have experience with is the Crown PM Ellsworth gouge I own. I get the same edge and a little longer life with it as compared to the other two I have with regular HHS. In general, "softer" metal will take a keener edge, but by that reasoning, we'd all still be using carbon steel. I think that a 1/2" scraper would be a good opportunity to at least try one of the other formulas to see if you like it.

Keith Nielsen
12-30-2005, 5:42 PM
I LOVED the Hamlets I got to use last year. I can't say enough good about them. I'm a Sorby guy my self but Those Hamlets were so good they were the tools Sorby wished he had. If I had some availble where I'm at I would buy them.

Good luck
Keith