PDA

View Full Version : A good deal?

Joe Tonich
07-11-2003, 3:45 PM
While I was out bummin today I found a bunch of 1/8" thick,28"x48"(approx) birdseye & curly maple veneer for $15 per sheet. Is this a good deal? If I bought some, how would I apply it? The guy said to iron it on using yellow glue and then clamp it in a plywood press. I want to try veneering but haven't had a chance to make a vac. press yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

Geoff Siemering
07-11-2003, 3:55 PM
If you like veneering then that is a good price ($1.60 sf), but are you sure is is 1/8" thick? If it is solid stock then you have bentwood lamination stock rather than veneer. Veneer is more like 1/32 thick.

Ironing on with yellow glue may work, but there are good books and articles out there on veneering.

John Miliunas
07-11-2003, 7:09 PM
While I was out bummin today I found a bunch of 1/8" thick,28"x48"(approx) birdseye & curly maple veneer for $15 per sheet. Is this a good deal? If I bought some, how would I apply it? The guy said to iron it on using yellow glue and then clamp it in a plywood press. I want to try veneering but haven't had a chance to make a vac. press yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

1/8", 1/32" or otherwise...That works out to less than two bucks a sq.ft. 'Round these parts, that's not a deal, it's legalized robbery! Don't I wish I lived near you! If it's nice looking stuff, I'd say take as MUCH as you can afford and worry about the "how-to's" later, 'cuz otherwise it may be gone! BTW, if it truly is 1/8", then it's, more than likely, already been laminated to some sort of backer board. Shouldn't take too much to glue that down to just about any flat surface. If it's a solid 1/8", then Geoff's suggestion of bentwood laminating is another great end use. Shore do wish it were me in your shoes, 'bout now! :cool: