PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article from Holtzwerken

Osvaldo Cristo
08-01-2020, 2:22 PM
I construct that jig to make thru dovetails and it worked very well to me. It is in German but I guess you can follow it even with no German. I hope you you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/JA7orpFiR10

From magazine: http://www.holzwerken.net/HolzWerkenTV/Maschinen/Perfekte-Zinken-mit-der-Bandsaege

Andrew Pitonyak
08-01-2020, 3:50 PM
The usage of the two different spacer blocks is pretty smart.

Of course, I don't own a band saw so I won't be trying this any time soon. :-)

Ray Newman
08-01-2020, 4:15 PM
Interesting and well thought out band saw jig.

Frederick Skelly
08-01-2020, 4:18 PM
Thank you Osvaldo. That was an interesting video. Yes, I could follow it pretty well though I have no German.

I cut dovetails by hand. But this jig looks like a good approach for someone who prefers to use machines - or someone who has to make many drawers.

Best regards,
Fred

Peter Kelly
08-01-2020, 4:27 PM
Guido Henn has several great videos on YT. Some produced for Festool as well as the HolzWerken ones.

https://youtu.be/1bUoHHdLex0

Bruce Wrenn
08-01-2020, 8:48 PM
I construct that jig to make thru dovetails and it worked very well to me. It is in German but I guess you can follow it even with no German. I hope you you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/JA7orpFiR10

From magazine: http://www.holzwerken.net/HolzWerkenTV/Maschinen/Perfekte-Zinken-mit-der-BandsaegeMark Dugenskie first published this method about 30 years ago, along with how to cut them on the table saw. Both methods used spacer blocks. They can be variable sized, but they must be symetrical around center line.

Andrew Hughes
08-01-2020, 11:52 PM
I’ve cut Dovetails on my bandsaw really big ones. My table tilts left and right so there’s no need for a ramp or spacers blocks. The angle block that cuts the tails just need to match the tilt of the table.
Does the felder bandsaw not have a tilting table?

Osvaldo Cristo
08-02-2020, 6:08 AM
I’ve cut Dovetails on my bandsaw really big ones. My table tilts left and right so there’s no need for a ramp or spacers blocks. The angle block that cuts the tails just need to match the tilt of the table.

The issue is to tilt to both left and right. All bandsaw I know have the table tilting to right only.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-02-2020, 10:44 AM
That is clever!

David Utterback
08-02-2020, 10:49 AM
I saw Google translate pop up for English in the magazine version. Seems to work well. My German classes over 40 years ago are insufficient.

Eduard Nemirovsky
08-02-2020, 12:13 PM
It is not very easy to tilt table precisely same angle to match previous cut. At least on my bandsaw. Ramp always stay the same angle.
ED.

Andrew Hughes
08-02-2020, 1:05 PM
Building a ramp seems like the hard way to me . I just a digital tilt angle box. Every bandsaw I’ve owned tilts at least a little bit all one needs is 7 or 10 degrees.

Dan Friedrichs
08-02-2020, 4:41 PM
That's neat.

Dumb question: in the video, why does the bandsaw blade seem to get pushed backwards when first contacting the workpiece? It's like it doesn't have a rear guide. Is that common? That seems very inconvenient...

Jim Braun
08-02-2020, 4:59 PM
That's neat.

Dumb question: in the video, why does the bandsaw blade seem to get pushed backwards when first contacting the workpiece? It's like it doesn't have a rear guide. Is that common? That seems very inconvenient...

He was asked that in the comments to the video and said that he had just changed the blade things like this can happen during hectic video shoots.

Dan Friedrichs
08-02-2020, 6:35 PM
He was asked that in the comments to the video and said that he had just changed the blade things like this can happen during hectic video shoots.

Ah, thanks! My mind was trying to understand if "variable blade position" was some sort of German efficiency innovation I didn't know about :)

Derek Cohen
08-02-2020, 7:51 PM
It seems awfully complicated compared with sawing with a simple dovetail saw. If you can make the fixture, you can saw by hand.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rod Sheridan
08-03-2020, 10:52 AM
I teach a similar method in bandsaw seminars except the wood table is simply attached to the bandsaw with magnets and a cleat.

I use a wood T square and a wedge to guide the pieces, that allows you to make random width pins and tails.

I don’t use a scroll saw, just band saw and chisel....Rod

Osvaldo Cristo
08-03-2020, 3:17 PM
Same here: I do not have a scroll saw so I also use the bandsaw and chisels.

The jig looks me very practical when making multiples drawers, probably it isn't worth the setup time for a single one, perhaps a couple of them.

Personally it was very important and today I have used dovetails as regular feature mainly because the convenience of a such jig.

Mark Bolton
08-03-2020, 7:42 PM
The issue is to tilt to both left and right. All bandsaw I know have the table tilting to right only.

Not to mention a fixed jig insures dead accurate angle of tilt from one side to the next eliminating potential error. Far smarter than tilting a table an indexing off a mark, scale, or digital.

Still seems a painfully slow dovetail process but surely slick for small and odd runs