PDA

View Full Version : MicroFence Plunge Base

Doug Shepard
12-30-2005, 9:14 AM
Has anyone noticed MF's Plunge Base at WW shows and recall what (if any) discount show price they were selling for? I'm real close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but thought I'd see if I could talk them into selling at show prices. I've already got their edge guide and circle jig so I can't really use the only 'special' they have listed on their site, which is tossing in the edge guide for $100 when purchased with the base. I ended up missing the Detroit WW show early this month where I was hoping to pick one up at a discount.
What's finally pushed me over the edge is that they now have adapters for using Dremels/Foredoms and possibly every other known spinny thing. That means I can use the same base for my Laminate Trimmer as well as the Dremel, and dont need to spend more for a separate Dremel base from Stewart-MacDonald or Allied Lutherie.

Bruce Page
12-30-2005, 5:25 PM
Doug, I have looked it over pretty good. I think it is an excellent design; in fact, I’m in the process of making one for myself right now. :cool:

Jim Becker
12-30-2005, 5:44 PM
Yea! I forgot about that. I had Richard demo it for me at a show a few weeks ago and it's absolutely up to his normal extraordinary quality. It really will allow someone doing intricate inlay work to leverage a trim router (or other tool as you indicate) so much better than anything the OEM provides for "plunge" and/or height adjustment.

Doug Shepard
12-30-2005, 6:15 PM
Doug, I have looked it over pretty good. I think it is an excellent design; in fact, I’m in the process of making one for myself right now.
Hmmm - how much are you going to sell yours for?:cool:

Yea! I forgot about that. I had Richard demo it for me at a show a few weeks ago and it's absolutely up to his normal extraordinary quality. It really will allow someone doing intricate inlay work to leverage a trim router (or other tool as you indicate) so much better than anything the OEM provides for "plunge" and/or height adjustment.

You don't recall what price they were selling for at the show do you?
I called out to MF earlier today but whoever answered suggested I call back a little later when the owner was back. Haven't been able to reach anything but their answering machine since then. I had a couple questions for them re: the adapters for the Dremel as what they have listed on their site is a tad confusing. Can't figure out if it needs 2 adapters (1 acrylic, 1 aluminum) or if the alum. one is just a better adapter than the acrylic. I know the thing is pricey, but I'm REAL satisfied with the other stuff I have from them.

Bruce Page
12-30-2005, 6:54 PM
Hmmm - how much are you going to sell yours for?:cool:

I'll put it this way; I couldn't compeat with their asking price... :o

Mine will have a couple of design improvements tho... ;)

Doug Shepard
12-30-2005, 7:42 PM
I'll put it this way; I couldn't compeat with their asking price... :o

Mine will have a couple of design improvements tho... ;)

It's hard to imagine improving on theirs. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Finally got hold of MF and got my order placed. My credit card squealed a little bit, but it's all for a good cause. Least that's what I keep telling myself.

Bruce Page
12-31-2005, 2:03 AM
It's hard to imagine improving on theirs. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Finally got hold of MF and got my order placed. My credit card squealed a little bit, but it's all for a good cause. Least that's what I keep telling myself.
Doug, be sure to let us know how you like it. Being an ex-machinist, I really like the micrometer depth adjustment feature.