PDA

View Full Version : Palclear

Bert Kemp
07-31-2020, 3:54 PM
So I got this email about this Palclear. Didn't get a clear understanding of what it was from the email. So I got on live chat with a "SO CALLED PALCLEAR EXPERT" I ask if this is safe to cut with a laser. Oh yes she says and it cuts very nicely. I said but it says its PVC sort of. She says yes its like that but different. I ask for the data safety sheet and she gives me a link . Tell me what you think...438001

Bruce Volden
07-31-2020, 4:21 PM
It says "Rigid Poly Vinyl Chloride sheets".
That would negate an order from me as far as cutting or engraving.

Bruce

Glen Monaghan
08-01-2020, 5:40 PM
Section 5.5. Unusual Fire and Explosion Hazards
"PVC [...at] high temperatures decomposes emitting large quantities of HCl". HCl or Hydrogen Chloride is a colourless gas which forms white fumes of hydrochloric acid upon contact with atmospheric water vapor. Even in the absence of water, hydrogen chloride can still act as an acid and is a corrosive substance, but particularly in the presence of moisture. That's what makes it so bad for lasering... the fumes can attack and corrode everything in the machine, and anything it reaches as you exhaust the fumes from your machine.

It says its CAS number is 9002-86-2, and that by definition is PVC and so falls under the "don't laser" category.

Bert Kemp
08-01-2020, 8:21 PM
My point was the company expert is telling us its ok to laser when we know full well its not