PDA

View Full Version : Tape measures

Bruce King
07-31-2020, 11:42 AM
Top row all 4 functions and accurate.
Bottom row either won’t lock or inaccurate.
Just bought the 12 ft one today.
How long since you checked yours?

Lisa Starr
07-31-2020, 12:06 PM
When DH and I work together, we know our respective tape measures don't match. Ours are "off" by 1/8", and it is consistent over 24' feet. We frequently work with one calling dimensions and the other marking. The caller is responsible for adding/subtracting accordingly. It certainly would be easier if they agreed!

Bruce King
07-31-2020, 12:23 PM
That reminds me of the framers on a house I built once, the guy on top who was taking and yelling measurements to the cutter said hey the rafters are coming out right on. The cutter looked up and said I’m adding 1/4 to your measurements!
The guy looked bewildered. In this case their tapes were probably the same but really long rafters have a tendency to always come up short and the cutter knew it.

Thomas McCurnin
07-31-2020, 3:19 PM
I like Stanley 16 footers. Awfully consistent

Peter Kelly
07-31-2020, 3:50 PM
Laser and a folding rule. No concerns with accuracy.

Eric Arnsdorff
07-31-2020, 4:54 PM
When a 1/32" makes a difference it's hard to find tape measures that agree.
The digital scale on my table saw and my Milwaukee tape measure seem to agree very well (at least based on where I see the lines on my tape measure).
I was at Lowe's and bought a new Kobalt tape measure that I like the feel and function. However, it was 1/32" of an inch off from the others. It drove me nuts - especially considering how often I "lose" my tape measure. That meant every other measurement I was spending 5-10 minutes locating where I last left my Milwaukee. I finally took it back to Lowe's along with my Milwaukee and found one that agrees with it.
I have other tape measures that do agree well enough with my Milwaukee. I just like the auto-lock function and labeling of the 2 I referenced.
I guess at a $10-$15 cost it is somewhat justified that the mass production process doesn't insure accuracy in the 0.03" range.

glenn bradley
07-31-2020, 5:03 PM
An inaccurate measuring device serves no purpose. Continuing to use one confirms the oft repeated definition of insanity. A good one doesn't cost more than the damage a junk one can cause. Do your part for mankind; when you find a measuring tool that is inaccurate and cannot repair it, throw it away. Or . . . give it to your enemy ;-))

mike stenson
07-31-2020, 7:16 PM
I don't use more than one measuring device at a time (if possible I prefer story poles anyway). So, if it's inaccurate at that point.. it's typically user error.

edit: It's not often I'm doing something like framing where I'm calling, or receiving, dimensions these days.

Bradley Gray
07-31-2020, 10:12 PM
I used to be the "saw guy" on a crew - you do have to add or subtract for whomever is calling numbers - a little trial and error but it compensates for the difference in tapes and interpretation.