PDA

View Full Version : Odd question??

John Terefenko
07-30-2020, 9:26 PM
I know this is a weird question especially here but thought what the heck. I am looking for a guillotine style heavy duty good quality paper cutter that is able to cut heavy card stock. Any suggestions from experience?? Thanks.

Brian Elfert
07-30-2020, 10:18 PM
The best ones are probably used ones. I'm sure a lot of them are going out the doors of companies as surplus as less and less paper is being used.

There are multiple guillotine type paper cutter on Craiglist and Facebook Marketplace locally.

Bill Dufour
07-30-2020, 10:34 PM
Be careful picking one up. Do not curl your fingers under the blade to lift. Carry it with the blade side against your body and your hands on either side. Depending on weight and distance it is safer to carry it with the blade away from your body but that takes more strength. Make sure the blade lock is engaged and works so it does not open as you are carrying it.
When you are done put the blade down all the way and lock it down so it does not creep up
Bill D

Thomas McCurnin
07-30-2020, 11:36 PM
Most paper cutters, even those I have purchased from Staples Office Depot can handle simple card stock. Under $100. For heavier stuff, like cardboard or multiple pages of paper, then look at book bindery supplies, they have paper cutters than can trim an inch or more of paper in a single swipe.

Jim Koepke
07-31-2020, 12:33 AM
To me a 'guillotine' paper cutter isn't something that can be carried around. That is what some commonly refer to as a photographic cutter.

Are you looking for something that has a blade that comes down across a stack of paper like used in a print shop or one with a blade attached to the alignment table like what might be used in a darkroom or school art class?

Searching Google it seems both types are now commonly called guillotine cutters. Here is an old one for sale:

$900 if you can pick it up in Arizona.

jtk

John Terefenko
07-31-2020, 12:38 AM
Looking for one like we use to use in school with the handle comes down on edge of board.

Jim Koepke
07-31-2020, 1:37 AM
Looking for one like we use to use in school with the handle comes down on edge of board.

An office supply or art supply store should have something to meet your needs.

jtk