PDA

View Full Version : Location tracker?

John K Jordan
07-30-2020, 7:08 PM
Anyone use a location tracker on their phone, one where another person can pinpoint the location with a app?

I typically spend a bunch of hours every day out around the farm, at the barn, way down in the woods, with horses, chainsawing, operating equipment, walking my daily 5 miles, etc. I thought about using one of the location tracker apps to let my Lovely Bride check up on me occasionally. If I'm out on the tractor, for example, perhaps she could see if I've been in the same spot for too long.

Most apps I looked at seem to be targeted for parents to keep track of kids, for example, apps like FamiSafe . I can be a kid if necessary. Does anyone have enough experience with one of these apps to recommend it? Limitations? I use android and she uses iPhone. Cell service is good here.

JKJ

Steve Eure
07-30-2020, 8:07 PM
John, a few years back my wife put an app on my phone that was called Life360. It worked well for letting her know where I was while hunting close to our house. Worked very well under most circumstances. It was limited to good cell service. I haven't used it in several years so I don't know if it still exist.

Jim Becker
07-30-2020, 8:21 PM
Close friend uses Life360 with her now 13yo daughter. I can attest that it's pretty accurate in their urban area. You'll want to understand how any app you choose does the actual location and what the resolution is to see if it meets your expectations.

And yes, the majority of these kinds of applications are oriented toward family needs with kids because that's where the market it.

Dan Friedrichs
07-30-2020, 9:03 PM
Life360 is very popular. Google Maps now has real-time location sharing, as well.

John Goodin
07-31-2020, 2:32 AM
Life 360 is great. We use it for my father in law who likes to walk in the neighborhood but has a rapidly progressing dementia. Alot of parents use it for their kids and we use it for our teen. We don't keep track that often but it gives us piece of mind when we let her stay out beyond normal hours with friends.

Lisa Starr
07-31-2020, 12:24 PM
Another Life 360 fan. DH is a commercial roofer that works alone most of the time. I can check to see if he's moving thru his day as planned.

John M Wilson
07-31-2020, 3:06 PM
Google Maps offers a way to share your location, and you may not need a separate app.

My wife shares her location with me, and I share mine with her, so that when either of us is out & about, a quick check on Maps shows their current location.

One of my hobbies is walking, and I'll go 5 or 6 miles each day, usually on different routes (I try to not repeat an area I've just walked). Being able to check my location gives my wife peace of mind.

Jim Becker
07-31-2020, 7:40 PM
I just checked out the Google Maps share...easy to setup and since that's the map system I use normally, convenient, too.

Ole Anderson
08-01-2020, 9:16 AM
My wife stuck one on my iPhone to keep track of me, and I use it to keep track of her. She uses it to keep track of her 20 yo favorite granddaughter as she flits back and forth from AZ to MN. Called FindMy. Seems to be sponsored by TomTom. Useful at times.

Myk Rian
08-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Life 360 and Google maps.
Life 360 gets annoying when you get home and get messages asking how you liked the store you were just at. That can be turned off if you drill into the settings.

roger wiegand
08-01-2020, 1:52 PM
I just use "where is my iphone" (comes with the phone) with family sharing turned on. Also handy when my daughter in Denver loses her phone.

Wade Lippman
08-01-2020, 5:34 PM
Google Maps offers a way to share your location, and you may not need a separate app.

My wife shares her location with me, and I share mine with her, so that when either of us is out & about, a quick check on Maps shows their current location.

One of my hobbies is walking, and I'll go 5 or 6 miles each day, usually on different routes (I try to not repeat an area I've just walked). Being able to check my location gives my wife peace of mind.

Just tried it; thanks much. I also walk about 5 miles a day, but really don't understand why anyone would do it without a dog. (my wife asked why she would want a location tracker. I said so she would know where to send the EMT if I don't come back. She said maybe a vet...)

John K Jordan
08-01-2020, 11:00 PM
I just use "where is my iphone" (comes with the phone) with family sharing turned on. Also handy when my daughter in Denver loses her phone.

Does it work seamlessly with android phones? She uses iPhone, I use Samsung.

I tried the Google maps. It want's permission record everything about my life. Somethings I don't like to share, like where I bury the gold and the bodies.

JKJ

David Bassett
08-01-2020, 11:28 PM
... Somethings I don't like to share, ...

Good choice!

I found out my daughter uses Google voice commands on her phone when Google responded to us at dinner the other night. Just what I need Google listening to everything that's said in our house.

roger wiegand
08-02-2020, 7:13 AM
Does it work seamlessly with android phones? She uses iPhone, I use Samsung.

I tried the Google maps. It want's permission record everything about my life. Somethings I don't like to share, like where I bury the gold and the bodies.

JKJ

I doubt there is an android app. You'd need to log in to icloud on your phone's web browser and use the function in icloud.

Jim Becker
08-02-2020, 8:30 AM
"FindMy" is a native Apple application. On the phone it used to be called "Find My iPhone" but since it's used across all Apple devices (phones, tablets, computers) they changed the name. It's not going to help with an Android device, itself, but someone should be able to log onto the web presence from a browser on the Android phone just like any computer.

Brian Holcombe
08-02-2020, 11:08 AM
Invasion of privacy, no thanks. I use location services only when needed Only.

I was allowed plenty of freedom as a kid, looking back that was certainly a good experience. I returned at dinner time. I want my son to always be aware of his surroundings and to become self reliant as he gets older. Tracking his whereabouts would seem to undermine the idea of building responsibility for making us aware of is location.

Kev Williams
08-02-2020, 1:17 PM
I was tear-assing the main drags in my '67 Coronet R/T when I was 17 back in '71. Whenever something a bit more nefarious than usual happened, my old man would ask me about the next day. -- How do you know this-??

And I remember when our kids were tear-assing around in their teens, somehow we'd find out about it. And came to realize how my old man always found out what I was up to ;)

--Long before we ever had
Global
Positioning
Satellites,

--there was a great 'tracking system' in place called
Gossip
Parents

Good parents have ALWAYS 'tracked' their kids. Satellites have just made it a bit more-- nefarious :)

Brian Holcombe
08-02-2020, 2:50 PM
Again, no thanks. I'll stick to local social networks.

I retain my social media accounts for business purposes, beyond that I don't want this continuous invasion of privacy under the guise of 'helpfulness'. We're constantly and continuously donating our rights for very minor improvements in 'security'.