PDA

View Full Version : ID This Veneer?

Jason Durno
07-30-2020, 11:21 AM
Hi all, new poster here - thanks for letting me join the group. I'm a casual amateur woodworker but interested in improving my skills beyond making painted cabinets and bookshelves. Anyway, I need to replace the veneer on the top of a dresser made by John Widdicomb Co I am guessing around 1930's. The drawer fronts are walnut burl and the dresser sides and top have the veneer in photo below. I wetted part of the veneer with water to bring the color out a little. Anybody know what species it is? Should I try applying some mineral spirits to better define the grain and color?
Thanks very much for any help.
Jason.

Malcolm McLeod
07-30-2020, 12:20 PM
I'd guess at mahogany, but tough to get right from one pic.

Jason Durno
07-30-2020, 2:04 PM
Thanks Malcolm, I think mahogany is a good guess based on looking at some veneers online. I have attached another photo in daylight after applying some veneer softener.

Robert Hayward
07-30-2020, 5:42 PM
Spanish cedar is my guess.

John K Jordan
07-30-2020, 7:28 PM
Does kind of look like mahogany or one of the mahogany substitutes.
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/mahogany-mixups-the-lowdown/

BTW, I don't like using water to show the grain/figure/color but instead use naphtha on small areas since it drys so fast, otherwise mineral spirits.

Any distinctive smell? Spanish cedar usually has a cedar smell.

JKJ

Tom Bender
08-01-2020, 6:03 PM
90 years old, not much odor left.

There are many varieties of Mahogany and much variety in a single tree.

Best bet is to find some veneer that matches without worrying about species.

Jason Durno
08-04-2020, 2:03 PM
Good point Tom, the dresser already has a couple different veneers on it (dresser side vs drawer fronts) so I'm just going to pick one (mahogany) that I think matches and will look good on the unit.
Thanks for all the replies gents.

Andrew Pitonyak
08-05-2020, 4:10 PM
Be sure to show us a picture of the process or at least the final result. Good luck!