PDA

View Full Version : Recent cherry cabinet job

Jack Hoying
12-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Here are some photos of a recent cherry cabinet job that I did. It took me almost 3 months to complete the whole project.
http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ejmhoying/DSC_2992.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ejmhoying/DSC_2987.jpg

http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ejmhoying/DSC_3004.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Stunning work Jack! What's your finishing technique on that cherry?

scott kinninger
12-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Yes stunning is the word! Awesome!

Is that your weekend getaway cabin on Lake Laromie?

Rick Thom
12-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Jack, that's an absolutely beautiful job. I trust that your clients are pleased with it.
A technical question if I may. Cherry darkens so much when exposed to sunlight, do you expect the cabinets to undergo a major change in colour in a relatively short period of time? Those appear to be very bright rooms. I would be concerned that there might eventually be a substantial difference in tone between those with more/less exposure bothy within and between the rooms.
Some might consider this difference/change as part of the beauty of natural wood, others almost a finishing defect.
Is this a legitimate concern?
-Rick.

Anthony Anderson
12-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Jack that is beautiful! My jaw dropped :eek: when I saw the detail in your work. How long did it take you to complete, from plans to finished product? The finish is beautiful. I really like the cookbook shelf at the end of the island. The raised panel drawer fronts are a nice touch as well. Yep, stunning is the word! Thanks for sharing. Bill

Mark Rios
12-30-2005, 1:27 AM
Hey Scott Spencer.......are those REALLY cherry cabs or is it "birch veneer over crapola wood and pressboard".

Seriously, Jack............ holy bovine feces, that is so impressive. I'd be lucky to make one of those doors come out good. You are the kind of craftsman most of us only dream of being. Is this your house or ...well...you said it was a recent job....so I guess it's not. Man, I really like the sub-zero door fronts. WTG!

Jason Tuinstra
12-30-2005, 2:19 AM
Jack, to say "great kitchen" would be an understatement! That's fantastic work. Truly a marvelous piece of craftsmanship.

BTW, I went to your photo site - I like seeing your pics of Grand Haven, MI. I grew up in W. MI (Jenison) and had my first date with LOML 16 years ago walking the beach by the light house at Grand Haven. Did you see the musical fountain while you were there? I don't know if they even have that going anymore. That was the big thing growing up, and getting a frozen yogurt. But I digress... :p

Great work!

Glenn Clabo
12-30-2005, 5:36 AM
Wow...great job! Stunning!

Tom Drake
12-30-2005, 5:43 AM
Excellent work!

Dev Emch
12-30-2005, 5:49 AM
Jack...
That is just lovely. Did you do all the cabinet work yourself? How did you finish the exterior work?

Also what type of counter tops are those. I like that contrast. Can you tell the name of that granite?

What are the floors?

lou sansone
12-30-2005, 6:02 AM
this is one of the reasons I really like smc... we have such a depth of tallent and expertis. great job jack!
how long have you been doing this?
Do you use any software for the cut list and design?

thanks and best wishes
lou

Bob Winkler
12-30-2005, 6:56 AM
Unbelievable. Stunning work. Just beautiful!
Bob

Keith Starosta
12-30-2005, 7:17 AM
Holy CRAP!! :eek:

Just gorgeous.....

-Keith

Jay Knoll
12-30-2005, 7:30 AM
Jack

That is a fantastic job! Is there an echo in here? Did you do the design as well?

The kudos are going to be flying around the Creek for quite a while regarding this project!

Thanks for posting

Jay

Jack Hoying
12-30-2005, 7:33 AM
Stunning work Jack! What's your finishing technique on that cherry?

To finish the cherry in this color, I used M.L. Campbell products. First a conditioner (clear stain base), then stain, vinyl base adhesive sealer (sprayed on) and top coated with post catylized varnish (sprayed on).

Jack Hoying
12-30-2005, 7:36 AM
Jack, that's an absolutely beautiful job. I trust that your clients are pleased with it.
A technical question if I may. Cherry darkens so much when exposed to sunlight, do you expect the cabinets to undergo a major change in colour in a relatively short period of time? Those appear to be very bright rooms. I would be concerned that there might eventually be a substantial difference in tone between those with more/less exposure bothy within and between the rooms.
Some might consider this difference/change as part of the beauty of natural wood, others almost a finishing defect.
Is this a legitimate concern?
-Rick.

Thanks Rick, The customer was told that cherry will darken with age. You are correct about it being a bright room. Two large south facing windows and 3 skylights.

Jack Hoying
12-30-2005, 7:46 AM
Jack, to say "great kitchen" would be an understatement! That's fantastic work. Truly a marvelous piece of craftsmanship.

BTW, I went to your photo site - I like seeing your pics of Grand Haven, MI. I grew up in W. MI (Jenison) and had my first date with LOML 16 years ago walking the beach by the light house at Grand Haven. Did you see the musical fountain while you were there? I don't know if they even have that going anymore. That was the big thing growing up, and getting a frozen yogurt. But I digress... :p

Great work!
Thanks Jason, We were in Grand Haven, MI last fall to pick up a boat that I bought on Ebay. Most of the summer activities had ended for the year, along with the musical fountain. We rode bikes past the grand stands where it still takes place. Here's a photo of the fountain area. I think the white objects are angels that pop up during the Christmas show.
http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ejmhoying/fountain.jpg

Photos at http://www.pbase.com/jmhoying
Jack

Mark Singer
12-30-2005, 7:49 AM
Jack,
Wonderful work! Great execution and a wonderful wprking kitchen!

Frank Pellow
12-30-2005, 7:58 AM
Great design, great woodwork, and great finish. You must have one very happy client.

tod evans
12-30-2005, 8:15 AM
nice job jack!

Lars Thomas
12-30-2005, 9:31 AM
Very impressive work. Please share more details with us regarding construction and finishing?

Matt Meiser
12-30-2005, 9:32 AM
Very, very nice kitchen!

Larry Fox
12-30-2005, 9:39 AM
WOW - amazing is the forst word that comes to mind! Wonderful work. I agree with Lars - more please.

David Duke
12-30-2005, 9:44 AM
I'll just be saying what everyone has but I have to say it anyway.......GREAT WORK!!!!

William Lewis
12-30-2005, 9:46 AM
That is beautiful work. I'am going to redo LOML's kitchen and hope it turns out half as nice as that.

William Lewis

Ed Frie
12-30-2005, 9:47 AM
Can you come over to my house this weekend, oh, and bring your tools and a little wood.:D

Jim Becker
12-30-2005, 1:22 PM
Absolutely beautiful.

Don Baer
12-30-2005, 1:35 PM
All I can say is WOWTruly great craftsmanship

rick fulton
12-30-2005, 1:58 PM
Jack –

Excellent workmanship. Took me a while to figure out why this looks so pleasing when compared to other kitchen designs. Staggering the height of the cabinets helps differentiate your hand crafted work verses a typical prefab job. Great work, good photos. Thanks for posting.

rick

John Gregory
12-30-2005, 2:13 PM
I cannot think of any better words that have been said before my post. Your work is awesome and more.

John

Keith Christopher
12-30-2005, 2:42 PM
Simple beautiful !!!

Chris Dodge
12-30-2005, 3:57 PM
Holy strawberries Batman!! That is awsome! Great work!!

Jim Hager
12-30-2005, 6:18 PM
Wow, my friend you have just gone and put me in the shade!!!! Wonderful job for sure. I wish I had clients who would commission work like that around here.

Matt Crew
12-30-2005, 6:40 PM
The first thing that went through my mind was:
OH MY GOD! IS THAT BEAUTIFUL!

Carl Eyman
12-30-2005, 10:51 PM
What agreat job.