PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 18 VS drill press

Sam Force
07-27-2020, 6:00 PM
Does anyone own this tool? What are your thoughts on this drill press?

Thanks

Carroll Courtney
07-28-2020, 1:23 PM
Go to their website,looks like having to many issues with belts. But there was couple good reviews but most did not like them. I am a PM fan of yesteryear equipment

Alex Zeller
07-28-2020, 1:42 PM
I'm not in the market for a drill press but if I was I would look into the Nova Voyager. I'm not trying to talk you out of the Powermatic but I don't see a reeves drive as the future for woodworking equipment. Electronic variable speeds like frequency drives have replaced variable belt drives in wood lathes quite a while ago. I can see that it'll be the same way with drill presses. I haven't read up on the Nova so it could have problems (like not having enough power at low RPMS) so I would say do your homework before buying one, kind of like what you are doing now with the PM.

Sam Force
07-28-2020, 3:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, there is a used 1 close by

Andy D Jones
07-29-2020, 7:52 PM
I wouldn't buy it without watching it running, and changing speeds, unless it was at scrap prices.

IINM that variable speed on the PM can only be changed while running. If some armstrong idiot decided to try changing the speed while not running, it can damage/destroy the transmission.

I own a Nova Voyager, and really enjoy using it. Not for anything special, just the convenience and safety features (beyond just changing the speed).

-- Andy - Arlington TX