PDA

View Full Version : Need some used machine help! Texas is barren!

Steve Catts
07-27-2020, 2:48 PM
Hi all,

I continue to be frustrated at the total lack of options for a decent used bandsaw (16-18", good power) and possibly J/P combo (Hammer, MiniMax) here in Texas. I keep a close on on Craigslist but rarely see anything coming out of serious hobbyist or small commercial shops.

Are there other sites that I should be prowling? They don't need to be in Texas , but y'know...a person wants to be able to see what he's buying. I just can't imagine that there are so few serious hobbyists in this state!

Many thanks,
Steve

Bob Jones 5443
07-27-2020, 2:59 PM
Steve, is there a woodworkers club near you? I've found one near me, and someone is always selling their used equipment for dirt cheap.

Todd Sebek
07-27-2020, 3:37 PM
There is a used Laguna LT18 for sale in San Marcos on CL. Guy seems pretty nice.

Matt Day
07-27-2020, 3:40 PM
Steve, is there a woodworkers club near you? I've found one near me, and someone is always selling their used equipment for dirt cheap.

Because people need to sell stuff to make rent where you live! Lol

Jak Kelly
07-27-2020, 3:41 PM
I can't stress Facebook Marketplace enough. Yes.....I know, it's Facebook..........
You will have to make a Facebook account, then after that you will have to request joining the Marketplace group and agreeing to adhere to their policy's and conditions......
But stuff goes on there for cheap, and it is all sorts of stuff!!!
Craigslist ads generally want above half of the new cost, or more, especially if it is something good.
I still use both.
There are things I really like about Craigslist and vice-versa about Facebook.
The key is probably going to be your patience and willingness to constantly check both when searching for a really good item at a great price. Then once you find it you had better have the cash in hand and be ready to pounce asap.
I know that I won't save or promise nothing to anyone, first come first serve.

glenn bradley
07-27-2020, 3:49 PM
I created a Facebook account to get free shipping once years ago. What a mistake. I have formally had the account purged three times, been assured that by next year it will certainly be aged out, it’s still haunts me…

Richard Coers
07-27-2020, 3:58 PM
I've sold a car, set of winter tires, and 3 bicycles on Facebook Marketplace. Works great and you can see the buyer's profile before you invite them over to look at what you are selling. I have all the machinery I ever need, so I'm just about selling on it.

Jim Becker
07-27-2020, 5:03 PM
Stay in touch with Sam Blasco (SCM/Minimax) and Erik Loza (Hammer/Felder) who are both in Texas...they may know of clients upgrading. Unfortunately, you don't see a lot of folks unloading this kind of gear for two reasons: there's less of it out there in the North American marketplace than non-Euro gear and folks tend to keep the stuff forever unless they have a major change in circumstances or need to upgrade. This is especially true if you're trying to keep your purchase within a certain geography.

David Kumm
07-27-2020, 5:33 PM
Join the Felder and Minimax owners groups. Stuff shows up for sale all the time. A guy in New Orleans is selling his entire shop of Felder, Rangate, Zuani, etc stuff right now. I won't joint Facebook for any reason but my girls are fine with fronting for me when something comes up I'm interested in. They do the contact and forward my info for me. Dave

Bill Dufour
07-27-2020, 6:58 PM
Use Search Tempest to watch craigs list. set the distance as near or far as you wish.
Bil lD

Chris Groer
07-27-2020, 8:46 PM
No personal connection but these Minimax have been up for a few weeks in TN. A bandsaw sold but 2 items remain

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=minimax&sort=rel

Ronald Blue
07-27-2020, 9:35 PM
Use Search Tempest to watch craigs list. set the distance as near or far as you wish.
Bil lD

Why not just set the parameters in CL and do the same. Enter your zip code and set the radius.

Steve Catts
07-27-2020, 10:31 PM
David, I assume you are suggesting FB groups for Felder and Minimax. I found a MM/SCM group but only had 12 members and no recent activity. I couldn’t find anything for Felder. I’m not a FB knucklehead but clearly I’m missing something..

Steve Catts
07-27-2020, 10:33 PM
Thanks Bob. There is a guild here in the Houston area but my main exposure to them lead me to believe that they were mostly toys and crafty stuff with almost no focus on furniture and cabinetry. Maybe Houston is a wasteland for woodworking...

Steve Catts
07-27-2020, 10:36 PM
Todd, I added San Marcos to my search and nothing came up. Are you still able to see it?

Steve Catts
07-27-2020, 10:42 PM
Thanks Jim. I can only guess they both would prefer to sell me some new equipment but will look into it. I’ve been in touch with Sam in the past but just don’t know that I can go new with MM/SCM. Hammer is a it more affordable. I grow impatient!

Todd Sebek
07-27-2020, 11:20 PM
If you look on the San Antonio CL and search “bandsaw” it will come up.

John Sincerbeaux
07-27-2020, 11:29 PM
I have the same problem. Here in Texas, I am looking for a near new Ski Nautique for pennies on the dollar. I guess no one is giving there boats away??? Very frustrating!

Mark Gibney
07-28-2020, 12:14 AM
I've recently started looking on OfferUp, and it's pretty good for machinery. I'd recommend you try it.

I also recently joined Facebook just to use the marketplace feature, and I feel dirty.

Jim Becker
07-28-2020, 9:37 AM
Thanks Jim. I can only guess they both would prefer to sell me some new equipment but will look into it. I’ve been in touch with Sam in the past but just don’t know that I can go new with MM/SCM. Hammer is a it more affordable. I grow impatient!

I have known both of these men for many years and they are very happy to refer folks to a used buy opportunity, especially when they are upgrading the seller to newer, bigger, fancier gear. The new can't go in until the old goes out. So they still absolutely have incentive to help!

Alex Zeller
07-28-2020, 1:30 PM
Besides the usual (Craig's list, Facebook market place, woodworking auctions) I often do a search on Google. Then switch to the images. You'll see lots of pictures of new equipment matching your search but you'll often see pictures of used equipment. From there you can look at the site it's listed on. For example if it's Sawmill Creek then it's a good chance that it's just someone posting a picture. But if it's on a site that sounds like it's an auction site or it looks like it's part of a classified section of a site then I'll click on it. Often it's outside of my area or it's too old to be still available. But it gives me a new site to search. In the case of auctions if it's a place in my driving radius I then keep an eye out on upcoming auctions. If it's one of the less used classifieds, like "offer up" or "let it go" I then start keeping an eye on them. The biggest problem is that if it's something that has demand or a real good price you need to be able to go almost immediately. If I need something then I buy it new. If I want something and can wait I do research, see how many have sold (with the google image search) and for how much, and I can wait for a sale (Powermatic, Jet, Laguna, Rikon, and Grizzly).

andy bessette
07-28-2020, 1:44 PM
The problem is likely in how you setup your search criteria.

In Craigslist header select "for sale", then "all".
In the left column, under "for sale", select "all".
Below that select "search titles only" and "include nearby areas".

Then, in the search box heading the page to the right, type "lathe" or "saw" or whatever you wish to find, and click on the search button. Save this to favorites and check at least once every day.

lowell holmes
07-29-2020, 10:15 PM
You may have to buy new because most people like myself will not part with their toys....
Check Circle Saw in Houston. I have a 14" Jet with a riser block. It is delightful to use.