PDA

View Full Version : Ornamental ceiling tiles - what are the basic types of lightweight tiles?

Stephen Tashiro
07-25-2020, 3:39 PM
What are the basic types of lightweight ornamental ceiling tiles?

The ones I see on Amazon are styrofoam. Are their other types? - other types of plastic?

Jerome Stanek
07-25-2020, 3:49 PM
They make stamped metal tiles. The company I used to work for was a ceiling contractor and we installed a few of them.

Stephen Tashiro
07-25-2020, 4:04 PM
They make stamped metal tiles. The company I used to work for was a ceiling contractor and we installed a few of them.

How do you cut metal tiles? Tinsnips?

I'm thinking about using ornamental tiles over access panels to the attic. Instead of trying to make access panels on the ceiling inconspicuous, emphasize them and make them decorative.

Jerome Stanek
07-26-2020, 8:39 AM
How do you cut metal tiles? Tinsnips?

I'm thinking about using ornamental tiles over access panels to the attic. Instead of trying to make access panels on the ceiling inconspicuous, emphasize them and make them decorative.

We had a guillotine cutter for that

Brian Elfert
07-26-2020, 12:03 PM
Menards (Maybe Home Depot too) sells thin plastic ceiling tiles that are decorative. These are white. I believe all of the big box stores sell "tin" ceiling tiles that really plastic made to look like old tin ceiling tiles.

I didn't know anyone still made actual metal ceiling tiles anymore.

Bill Dufour
07-27-2020, 7:14 PM
You could use the plastic panels designed to cover troffer light panels in a suspended ceiling. Some of them have a decorative embossed pattern.
Bil lD.

no relation to link. it just was first with pretty pictures of what you can buy.

https://www.fluorescentgallery.com/