PDA

View Full Version : -speaking of antivirus and windows update-

Kev Williams
07-24-2020, 12:49 PM
4 of my 9 always-on computers are Win7's, all 4 are running Microsoft Security Essentials. As of June 22, ONLY my office computer won't update the definitions, 'internet connection error' which is BS. Every suggested-fix website has the same fixes, none work. The 'final' suggestion, manually install updates, doesn't work either. When I execute the program to install the updates, absolutely nothing happens. With task manager running, when I execute, the mpam-fe.exe program shows up for about 4 seconds, then disappears. Running a scan with the last definitions in June comes up clean. I just downloaded Malwarebytes free and it's running a scan at them moment.

per all the suggestions: I've reset IE, downloaded a new IE and Edge, no help. All services necessary are running, everything else I've tried doesn't help. Supposedly I can't uninstall and reinstall due to MS restrictions since Win7 went OOS in January.

Manually updating is fine with me, but while there's a ton of online info on auto-updating suggestions, I've found NO help as to why manually updating won't work?

Virus scan is back: 3 'malware' hits, two are Flash update programs, the other is my earthquake updater, and 1 'potential unwanted program', which is a Firefox plugin. I quarantined them all just in case...

MSE still won't update, manual update still does zilch...

I've ran McAfee, Norton, AVG, Avast and Panda in the past. Mc & Norton never again. AVG was ok until it took over my computers resources, Avast was a semi-resource hog, but one day it started to auto-quarantine System Restore which would throw the computers into an endless nothing loop whenever an automatic restore point was created... and Panda, while pretty good in general, it would throw pop-ups almost hourly, and if I didn't at least click on them occasionally, the popups got BIGGER.

MSE has always been efficient and unobtrusive, I DON'T want an aftermarket AV if at all possible. And now that Malwarebytes is done, I'm uninstalling it as soon as I hit the 'submit' button....

Any help with why MSE won't cooperate, OR a suggestion of a reasonable aftermarket AV that WILL cooperate with a minimum of fuss (and $), would be much appreciated!