PDA

View Full Version : My blade sharpener retired!

Jim Allen
07-23-2020, 6:59 PM
What do you do when then are no sharpening services in you area, the closest service to me is 100 mile away, that's 400 miles and at least 3 days.

glenn bradley
07-23-2020, 7:10 PM
You're in Oregon. Use Snook's Saw (https://www.snookssaw.com/). They are great people and Jerrimy has always taken great care in making my custom blades and sharpening. You'll want to ship as they are in Salem. That's the cost of living in beautiful Lakeside ;-)

Jim Allen
07-23-2020, 7:25 PM
Thanks Glenn, it was a real shock to our system when we first moved here from So. Cal., it's been over 13 years so we're used to it now, even used to the weather.

Matt Day
07-23-2020, 8:45 PM
You ship them out to be sharpened. A lot of satisfied customers here using Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY.

David Eisenhauer
07-23-2020, 10:36 PM
Ballew Saw is another reliable, quick-turnaround sharpener located in (I believe ) Missouri. I have used them for at least 30 years.

glenn bradley
07-24-2020, 9:21 AM
Thanks Glenn, it was a real shock to our system when we first moved here from So. Cal., it's been over 13 years so we're used to it now, even used to the weather.

I know what you mean. I did a job in Seattle for 6 months. It doesn't rain all the time but, it does seem to rain EVERY DAY. It even snowed on me a couple of times. Allowing snow to fall outside the recreational areas!?! We have regulations about such things down here ;-)

I ran into Snook's through Carbide Processors. Tom and his group are another batch of good folks to know when it comes to cutters.

Jim Allen
07-24-2020, 6:25 PM
I found a cabinet maker who also sharpens saw blades (I don't understand why he doesn't advertise), he's in Coos Bay, about 20 miles from home. Will report on how it works out.

His name was given to me by the guy who retired.

Rod Sheridan
07-25-2020, 11:40 AM
What do you do when then are no sharpening services in you area, the closest service to me is 100 mile away, that's 400 miles and at least 3 days.

Surely you have a postal service where you live?

Regards, Rod

Roger Feeley
07-25-2020, 3:44 PM
You know you’re a Creeker iF...
you are more emotionally attached to your blade sharpener than you are to your barber.

Jim Allen
07-25-2020, 4:17 PM
Love it!👍

Although it doesn't apply to me, I've cut my own hair for 20 years.:eek:

Bruce Wrenn
07-25-2020, 8:29 PM
Love it!

Although it doesn't apply to me, I've cut my own hair for 20 years.:eek:

Did you cut it, or try to find it?

Ole Anderson
07-26-2020, 8:33 AM
I'm going to get fried for this, but pick up a HF blade sharpener. Got one a few years ago and it brings an old blade back to 90% of what a good sharpening service will do. All you touch up is the front face of the tooth.
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_25174.jpg

Jim Allen
07-26-2020, 3:42 PM
Thanks Ole interesting tool, and not too expensive either. When my new sharpener retires I may consider it, especially with HF giving away 20% discount coupons.

glenn bradley
07-26-2020, 5:13 PM
You know you’re a Creeker iF...
you are more emotionally attached to your blade sharpener than you are to your barber.

That is absolutely me.

Jim Allen
07-28-2020, 4:05 PM
I got my blades back and they mostly look good, here's a couple of pictures of one tooth on the 80 tooth saw, there are probably 4 or 5 other teeth with similar marks.
437812 and slightly different angle, 437813

I can promise I never cut a nail with this blade, could this be caused by heat, should I be concerned about the quality of my cuts, should I find a new sharpener, he didn't notice the marks.

Andy D Jones
07-29-2020, 2:05 PM
If you are sure those marks were not there when you gave him the blade, I would find a new sharpener. Plan on shipping your blades to/from the sharpener.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Matt Day
07-29-2020, 2:41 PM
Ditto. Follow my suggestion from post 4.

Jim Allen
07-29-2020, 3:55 PM
I'll be taking both your suggestions, Glenn Bradley has a source close to home who I will use the next time a need arises.

OTOH, this blade does a much better job than it did before so I guess the 8 teeth hasn't had much effect on the quality of the cut.

Mitchell Garnett
07-29-2020, 10:15 PM
Has anyone tried D&R Saw and Tool in Dallas? I live in Longview and they're the closest to me I've found. I've sent two emails to Dynamic and haven't gotten replies to either - D&R replied with an hour. Looks like they have the right equipment so I may give them a try soon.

Matt Day
07-29-2020, 10:56 PM
I've sent two emails to Dynamic and haven't gotten replies to either.

Call them. Lots of stellar reviews on here and elsewhere for them - search for yourself.

Robyn Horton
07-30-2020, 7:05 AM
I've been going to Dynamic for years and have dropped my blades off there and got a tour. The machine that sharpens the blades is truely Amazing. Here is a video of the same machine Dynamic uses , https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=205&v=f-vRs_sZkfo&feature=emb_logo

Malcolm McLeod
07-30-2020, 9:34 AM
Has anyone tried D&R Saw and Tool in Dallas? I live in Longview and they're the closest to me I've found. I've sent two emails to Dynamic and haven't gotten replies to either - D&R replied with an hour. Looks like they have the right equipment so I may give them a try soon.

I have used D&R on 3-4 10" blades with absolutely no complaints.

You can also drop at Rockler in N. Dallas (Richardson) area, my dad has done this 2-3 times. Rockler sends the blade out (I suspect to D&R, but I have not grilled anyone for details.)

Mitchell Garnett
07-30-2020, 10:54 AM
Call them. Lots of stellar reviews on here and elsewhere for them - search for yourself.

Thanks Matt, I gave them a call and they were superb and extremely competitive. From their online price list I thought they would be tho' I was a little confused on the chipper cost. Because of their non-reply to emails I would have written them off without your encouragement to call.

glenn bradley
07-30-2020, 12:19 PM
there are probably 4 or 5 other teeth with similar marks.

That looks like a simple case of operator "oops". I had a local shop grind a Woodworker II so bad they bought it from me. Shops either have to have employees with experience and skill or highly automated sharpening machines that distance the inexperienced from the game.