PDA

View Full Version : Brushing GF White Poly?

Wayne Cannon
07-21-2020, 4:31 PM
General Finishes (tinted) White Poly clearly says "Spray Only". The Technical Data Sheet says "Recommended for spray application only", but immediately follows it with information on brush and roller types. It sounds a bit contradictory.

Has anyone brushed GF White Poly? Why does it say "Spray Only"? Does it dry too quickly, or what?

You guys have convinced me to try Target Coatings and General Finishes for ease of spraying, but I have some adjacent trim that would be a pain to spray.

Jamie Buxton
07-21-2020, 5:15 PM
Finish intended for spray is quite runny compared to the latex you're using to brushing. If you brush it on to a vertical surface, it will likely dribble down your brush, and drip after you're put it on the surface.

John TenEyck
07-21-2020, 7:11 PM
I haven't done it but I suspect you can brush on GF's Enduro White Poly if you add some Extender to it to slow down how fast it flashes over. White Poly has a viscosity around 100 seconds #4 Ford cup; that's a lot lower than paint but much higher than most clearcoats. I think you'll be able to brush or roll it w/o it running. Try it on some scrap and see if it works.

John

Wayne Cannon
07-22-2020, 2:30 PM
Thanks. Sounds like brushing nitrocellulose lacquer. I'll invest in a gallon and try it.

I'm spraying doors, but planned to brush the trim to avoid masking and floor covering. On second thought, maybe masking & spraying might be easier/better than brushing for multiple coats.