PDA

View Full Version : Wheelbarrows with plastic tubs

Stephen Tashiro
07-21-2020, 1:14 AM
Are there wheelbarrows with plastic tubs that hold up to dumping heavy loads? It seems to me that the front edge of the tub would often be in contact with the ground as the load is dumped - although theoretically you could stop the dump before that happens and only have the brace across the front of the handles touching the ground.

Bill Dufour
07-21-2020, 1:36 AM
In your climate I assume any plastic left outside will not last too long. I get about one year with a five gallon bucket here. Double or triple that 90 miles west.
Bill D

Jim Becker
07-21-2020, 9:01 AM
It would, of course, depend upon the specific material used to construct the tub, the weight/thickness of the same and the design of the edge in question. There are many very durable plastics and composites used these days.

Bert Kemp
07-21-2020, 9:44 AM
I have a plastic tub one thats been sitting outside for close to 10 years in the AZ sun and is still holding up, and my HD orange buckets last about 3 or 4 months and start tobreak apart.

Tom M King
07-21-2020, 9:49 AM
Not sure what sort of heavy loads you're talking about. For much concrete work, I would only use metal. I have a number of both types. The trouble with the plastic tubs is not the end, but where it's bolted to the handles, in the bottom of the tub.

We have one 10 cu. ft., plastic tubbed one, with double front wheels, that has been used in the barn for 20 years, and is still good. At some point, I changed the rusted out carriage bolts to stainless. I put tubes in the tires while it was still new, and clean, so the tires have been trouble free. Still in use.

I always put tubes in the tires, when I get a new one, while everything is still clean. I have one with non-pneumatic tire, but won't buy another one. The pneumatic tires aren't slowed up by a single rock.

mike stenson
07-21-2020, 11:06 AM
I always put tubes in the tires, when I get a new one, while everything is still clean. I have one with non-pneumatic tire, but won't buy another one. The pneumatic tires aren't slowed up by a single rock.

I LOVE solid tires.. on concrete. Outside, this above is exactly my experience.
Also, for heavy loads I really do prefer double wheeled barrows.

Erik Loza
07-21-2020, 11:19 AM
We had a plastic one and I broke the bucket by tossing a chunk of concrete into it. Only metal now.

Erik

Stephen Tashiro
07-21-2020, 12:15 PM
The trouble with the plastic tubs is not the end, but where it's bolted to the handles, in the bottom of the tub.

I'm glad you pointed that out. If I ever buy one with a plastic tub, I'll try to reinforce that area.

My use of wheelbarrows around the house tends to be for dirt, gravel, and concrete debris. I don't leave them sitting out in the sun.

Jim Koepke
07-21-2020, 12:27 PM
I'm glad you pointed that out. If I ever buy one with a plastic tub, I'll try to reinforce that area.

My use of wheelbarrows around the house tends to be for dirt, gravel, and concrete debris. I don't leave them sitting out in the sun.

Fender washers might help at the bolts. You may have to file the holes square to accommodate carriage bolts.

My wheelbarrows are stored in my greenhouse, so the sun can not be avoided without a tarp. Spiders would likely make getting to a wheelbarrow an unpleasant experience for SWMBO.

jtk

Stephen Tashiro
07-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Also, for heavy loads I really do prefer double wheeled barrows.

It's interesting how many ways people have invented to convert single wheeled wheelbarrows to dual wheel, three wheel, or four wheel wheelbarrows. The simplest example I've found is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpE8FtEUmWE I also see there are commercial kits for sale that make the conversion.

Greg Parrish
07-21-2020, 12:54 PM
I'm in Florida and have a Jackson 6-cu foot steel tub model with wood handles from Lowes. The tub is fine but the wood hasn't aged as well as I'd have thought in the Florida sunshine and rain. Wish I'd have gotten metal handles also.

mike stenson
07-21-2020, 12:59 PM
I'm in Florida and have a Jackson 6-cu foot steel tub model with wood handles from Lowes. The tub is fine but the wood hasn't aged as well as I'd have thought in the Florida sunshine and rain. Wish I'd have gotten metal handles also.

I'd rather replace handles, than burn my hands whenever I use the thing ;)

Zachary Hoyt
07-21-2020, 1:03 PM
We've had plastic wheelbarrows for a while, one is an 8 cu.ft. two wheeler and it's around 10 years old with no tub damage, the other is 20 years old or more but has new handles I made for it and a new used pan I picked up at an auction about 8-10 years ago, as the original pan was cracked. I also had a 20+ year old metal wheelbarrow that I put a new used pan on because the original one got dented down so badly over time that it rubbed on the tire. We keep them in a shed when not in use. I would say it's a toss up, anything that will break a plastic tub will also dent a metal one. Tipping onto the front of the tub has never been a problem for me.

Greg Parrish
07-21-2020, 1:15 PM
I'd rather replace handles, than burn my hands whenever I use the thing ;) Good point but usually the metal has an overwrap, but that may not beat the heat in some climates.

Dave Cav
07-21-2020, 2:06 PM
I like plastic for general household yard use, but I generally put a piece of plywood between the tub and the handles to eliminate flex. The biggest problem I have found with plastic tub wheelbarrows is getting them too close to the burn pile. For heavy construction work I think metal is better, but don't park it where your dog will pee on it on a regular basis.

Rod Sheridan
07-21-2020, 2:11 PM
My plastic wheelbarrow is just over 30 years old, stored outside.

Last summer I put a crack in it dropping a patio stone, corner down.

I'm going to buy a 4 wheel wagon from Lee Valley to replace it.

Regards, Rod.

Steve Demuth
07-21-2020, 2:27 PM
Totally and completely depends on the quality of the plastic. I've got a plastic-tubbed cement mixer that has performed brilliantly for over a decade - and I do some crazy stuff with it, like filling it with a mixture of rocks and walnuts in order to de-hull the nuts. I've got plastic stock tanks that are 30+ years old, and going strong. UV stabilized, HD poly is amazingly tough stuff. A wheelbarrow made from the same material as either of those would easily survive most use and being left outside. The one plastic tubbed wheelbarrow I did own, though, was not made from that kind of material, but something much thinner and lower density, and did not hold up well at all.

Brian Elfert
07-21-2020, 3:17 PM
I have a plastic tub wheelbarrow that has a crack/hole in it from tossing a brick into it. It still works for anything short of trying to mix concrete in it. My parents have an old metal wheelbarrow that the tub is all cracked and rusty around the bolts. There are fender washers holding it together.

Jim Koepke
07-21-2020, 7:07 PM
This wheelbarrow had the broken wooden handles replaced by my father about 25 years ago:

After moving to Washington over 10 years ago, one of my neighbors thought I was a survivalist, no just frugal.

After getting a lathe one of my first projects was to make some wooden handles. Not a great turning:

The tenons were carved to an interference fit into the aluminum rails/arms. They had to be persuaded with help from a mallet.

There was a lot of concrete mixed in that before my dad gave it to me. There has been a lot since.

jtk